My back has been hurting when I run (Read 151 times)

garrettm

Anyone know why? I am going to the doctor next week.

Feeling the growl again

That's a pretty broad question with limited information.

My lower back has been killing me while I run the last 3 days too.  If you can tell me why I'm all ears.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

dallison

registered pw

It's not strong enough?

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

FSBD

Running with awkward form

Bad shoes

Running to tight

Unrelated issue exacerbated by bouncing from one foot to the other repeatedly

Improper stretching

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

That's a pretty broad question with limited information.

My lower back has been killing me while I run the last 3 days too.  If you can tell me why I'm all ears.  Smile

Could be one of the following:

1.) Practicing the beer mile too much.

2.) Leaning forward while your running.

3.) Your just getting old.

4.) Big man boobs.

5.) Your significant other has been kicking you in the back at night.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
            • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
            • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
            L Train

You're pregnant?

You're pregnant?

or there's a  monkey on it.

Menace to Sobriety

I have no idea why you're all ears.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Probably a weak core and/or hip flexors. I'm guilty of both, though I get pain in the hamstrings instead. Start stretching your hips and doing more core work and hopefully that will help some.

(I'm not a doctor, so take ^ with a grain of salt)

Chris Melvin

Yeah +1 for core and strength work. A plank a day keeps the doctor away.

I'll throw my "free" thoughts into this.     sore back is the main sign to me that it is time for new shoes.    it also is a reminder to focus on posture while running & during day, mainly no slouching (especially while relaxing at home).  something that helps me is  to use a stability ball & sit tall while using computer and/or watching tv.   do you have a strength discrepency between your back & abdominal area?  have you been doing anything different while  running or while at home or work?

obviously there can be many reasons & as Spaniel mentioned, too little information.  hope your doctor is able to pinpoint whats going on.  so maybe between now & your apt.  focus on posture & keep running tall.

+1  on the planks, if done properly they help build strength in just about every area of body, just be careful with a back that is already hurting.

maffy95

Probably a weak core and/or hip flexors. I'm guilty of both, though I get pain in the hamstrings instead. Start stretching your hips and doing more core work and hopefully that will help some.

(I'm not a doctor, so take ^ with a grain of salt)

Wow... I actually did this and the results were awesome the back pain is diminished... looked up stretching hip flexor on youtube.

Bushrat Runner

Lots of good suggestions here, maybe they will completely solve your problem.

But one additional point, is low back pain after running can be from leg length discrepancy. If the problem persists and the other alternatives don't fully solve it, look to see if your hips are symmetrical looking when standing barefoot on the ground. If not, you may need a lift in one shoe to reduce the difference. Discovered this problem myself 16 years ago, been fine ever since.