Will loosing upper body mass make me faster? (Read 325 times)

Walk-Jogger

Oh yeah… I forgot about the drag chute! He would probably need that to get stopped after the finish line...

BTW, I'm a recovering musclehead. I went from a 138 pound sub 3 marathoner (80's) to a 193 pound lifter (90's) who couldn't break 4 hours in a marathon, back down to a current 145 pounds, hopefully going for a BQ (3:30) this fall. Not only does the weight make a difference in speed, but it also makes a big difference in jiggling bouncing chaffing areas (lats, thighs, bloody nips). I also didn't like the maintenance aspect of being all pumped up. Having lived both, I much prefer the lean tight skinny runner.

BTW, one of my fav shows is Ninja Warrior. The skinny lean runner/featherweight boxer/kung-fu looking dudes have a lot easier time than the muscle heads.

Love Ninja Warrior! Sooo much better than "Wipeout" which I used to watch. The DW will even watch it with me.

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

'Nother Ninja Warrior fan here too.  I just can't stomach those two clowns they got doing the commentary, though.  My wife likes the show too.

MTA:  you just need to take a look at the people who make those obstacles look easy to get an idea of whether you need to be big and bulky to negotiate tough obstacles.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

One thing I've learned since I started rock climbing/ bouldering a few months ago is that you don't need bulky muscle mass in order to be incredibly strong.  I've gotten significantly stronger and haven't gained a pound since I started climbing.  My guess is lean and strong would be beneficial in obstacle races as well.