Weighted moving average vs. moving average (Read 837 times)

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me the difference between the weighted moving average and moving average that's in the HandyRunner settings. I've tried to look it up on Google but haven't had much luck. From what I can gather, I think the weighted moving average accounts for only your most recent pace(s) and the moving average accounts for your pace over the whole run..?? Please let me know if you have any insight on this! Thanks!

Kellen

Hebrews 12:1 :: Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't know what "HandyRunner" is, but traditionally a moving average is simply an average over the most recent (e.g.,) 10 runs, whereas a weighted moving average is one that counts the most recent runs more than  the older runs -- it might be over the same set of most recent 10 runs, or it might be over a longer set, with the older ones fading out to count almost not at all.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Perry, HandyRunner is the (an)droid app that someone-without-a-sideways-smile wrote.

HermosaBoy

someone-without-a-sideways-smile

Ummmmm

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xor

Heh.  Um, that looks a little weirder than I intended.  Sorry.  I just mean "not Eric".