2:45 Marathon (Read 181 times)

Any takers?  I'm running my first full on May 12th (Cox Downtown Providence Marathon in RI).  I've chosen 2:45 as my goal (6:18 pace) based on past results and am currently on week 3 of the Hanson's program.  The most I've ever run at one time is 15 miles so this whole thing is a pretty big crap shoot.  I ran a 1:21:25 half in November with plenty left in the tank and decided that a 2:45 may be possible with an intense, marathon specific regemine over the next 3-4 months.  My wife and I are trying for our first kid now, so I figure this might be my last chance to devote enough time towards marathon training for the foerseeable future.

As far as workouts go, I've nailed a 12x400 @ 80 sec w/400 recovery and an 8x600 @ 2:03 w/ 400 recovery.  Today saw a 12-miler at 6:49 pace.  So far, everything has been very do-able for me.  The program gets much tougher over time and I can only hope my body holds up.  I hope there are others here with similar goals who can help keep me motivated.  I'll do my best to return the favor.

Feeling the growl again

Sure.  I've not definitively nailed down my goal race but I'm looking at low-2:30s in April/May.  So far in January I'm already in better shape than I ever was last year, when I ran IIRC 2:38-9 in April.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

Yes.

Good luck quajack.  If you can nail a 2:45 off a 1:21 in the fall then you're a better man than I am.  (Then again, on Running Ahead there are a lot of better men than I am)!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

That's my goal too for 2013, but I might have to take it in two steps. 2:45 is in the back of my mind before I say "good enough" and give up racing.

Good luck with the training and your target race.

Feeling the growl again

That's my goal too for 2013, but I might have to take it in two steps. 2:45 is in the back of my mind before I say "good enough" and give up racing.

Good luck with the training and your target race.

Heh?  If no more PRs meant giving up racing, I would have been done 7 years ago....Racing is a frame of mind, not a time...As long as you have the spirit...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I'm in

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
              Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Bottle Opener

I'm already in the 3:00 thread, but as my goad is 6 minute pace I guess I'll slide on over to this one.  I'm running the B & A Trail Marathon on March 16th.

Racing for Beer & Glory

http://www.roadkillracing.com

I'm in

After witnessing (from far behind) your 800m race last summer, I'd say you have an excellent chance.

What race are you targetting?

RKR- Are you shooting for 6 minute pace in a trail race?  I noticed the sub 3:00 thread immediately after I started this one.  The more the merrier?

Today's workout was done on a treadmill to avoid -8 degree temps (with wind chill).  6x800 in 2:40 with 400m recovery jogs.  I've had a treadmill for a week now and I've noticed that fast workouts seem easier and easy runs seem harder.  Long runs just suck.  Easy tomorrow and 6mi tempo (6:18 pace) on saturday.  So far so good.  Plenty of aches, pains, and general soreness, but no injuries.  Hope everyone else's training is going well.

6 mi tempo @ 6:17 pace with 3 mi warm up &  3 mi cool down.  So far the Hanson's plan seems to be agreeing with me as I've been able to hit all of my splits and paces.  Staying healthy will be the key.

Anyone else out there dealing with these brutal northeast temps?  It's been obnoxiously cold for the past week so I've done all my running on a treadmill.  I'm starting to go stir-crazy.

Feeling the growl again

Anyone else out there dealing with these brutal northeast temps?  It's been obnoxiously cold for the past week so I've done all my running on a treadmill.  I'm starting to go stir-crazy.

Yup.  And some slimy snow the last few days.  I've gotten in some easy runs outdoors but my workouts have been on the treadmill for quite awhile.

4 mile tempo 20:39 the other day...on the treadmill...I know it starts to lose accuracy at higher speeds and this is not reality.  But it is ~20sec faster than I could ever do it on the same machine last year, so that is promising.  Now waiting for clear roads to see where I really am outdoors...

Spaniel,

How unreliable are treadmills as far as mph/miles run are concerned?  I've had mine for a week now and it seems like fast paced workouts feel easier than usual and easy runs feel harder.  I think the faster stuff is easier because I can shut off my brain and just run at the pace of the belt unlike track/tempo runs where I have to constantly check and make sure I'm on pace.  Killer pace on your tempo btw.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel,

How unreliable are treadmills as far as mph/miles run are concerned?  I've had mine for a week now and it seems like fast paced workouts feel easier than usual and easy runs feel harder.  I think the faster stuff is easier because I can shut off my brain and just run at the pace of the belt unlike track/tempo runs where I have to constantly check and make sure I'm on pace.  Killer pace on your tempo btw.

It really depends.  Some are more accurate than others.  From what I can tell, mine is very, very close to correct but gets further off as I get faster than 10mph.  By 12mph I think it may be off by as much as 10sec/mile.  My theory is that it runs at the correct speed if it is running empty, but with me on it, the belt slows down a bit.  I actually measured the belt length and checked it by counting revolutions in a mile while it ran at 6mph and it was very close to right, but it was running empty.

The way they set them up, most must be off by like 0.5mph or more before it will actually throw a speed error, from what I have learned.

Nothing exciting.  Easy 7.75 on sunday, off monday and 10 easy today.  I've got 5x1000 coming up on thursday.

On thursday I ran 3:20's for a 5x1000 interval workout (about 5:18 pace). 7.5 easy fri, and today was a 6 mile tempo at 6:19 pace.  I felt awful, almost puked, and had a crippling side stitch for a mile and a half and I only missed my target pace by one second per mile.  A great day by my standards.  I ended the week with a 53 mile total.

I'm 4 weeks into my training and I've found that I'm capable of much faster paces than I thought when it comes to intervals, but struggle a bit with marathon-paced tempos.  However, my body has been holding up nicely and that's the most important thing.  Does anyone else out there trying to run a 2:45 for a spring marathon?