Berlin marathon 2014 (Read 207 times)

Goorun

Only those of us who can't run 10 miles in under 50.

(See, I was paying attention.)

+1

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE CALLING ALL THE REST OF US SLOW.

I was just thinking about mutai again - isn't there more prize money if you set a new record? How does that work if you're unlucky enough to break the old record yet not win the race? I wonder if he got some extra money for that.

Feeling the growl again

I was just thinking about mutai again - isn't there more prize money if you set a new record? How does that work if you're unlucky enough to break the old record yet not win the race? I wonder if he got some extra money for that.

Technically the record was broken right before he got there...I would think he will get 2nd place money.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Spaniel is right - Mutai did not break the *NEW* world record, so no extra $$$ for him.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I think it might take another 5 to 7 years to get closer to 2:00:00, but somebody will get there.

As far as ladies, Radcliffe's record seems to be safe for a while.  For quite a long while.  Nobody is close.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In the highlights video that I saw, the women were running with the men. They didn't have an elite women's start?

Anyone know how they decide whether or not to have an elite women's start?

From this (old, possibly outdated) article: http://news.runtowin.com/2011/11/09/iaaf-falls-short-by-restoring-paula-radcliffes-world-record.html

it sounds like Paula's 2:15 stands, but new women's WR have to be with separate elite women starts?

Or is that outdated?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

didn't the iaaf solve this by now having two records for women? One for races with men (male-aided, if you will) and one for women-only races? I think Berlin starts them all together; all the top women had their personal pacers there.

Feeling the growl again

In the highlights video that I saw, the women were running with the men. They didn't have an elite women's start?

Anyone know how they decide whether or not to have an elite women's start?

From this (old, possibly outdated) article: http://news.runtowin.com/2011/11/09/iaaf-falls-short-by-restoring-paula-radcliffes-world-record.html

it sounds like Paula's 2:15 stands, but new women's WR have to be with separate elite women starts?

Or is that outdated?

I noticed this too.  They were going to take away Paula's 2:15, but my understanding was they grandfathered in that one but going forward no male pacers.

Now this in Berlin.

I'm not sure what to make of it.  I am 99% sure they did not establish two separate, official records.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I think that's right too. Flanagan's run was going to be an AR with no shot at WR.

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page=news&cod=11459&tp=n#.VCmo1EvwCSE

(not good at posting from my phone, but the above says they changed the rules for women in 2013 to allow 2 kinds of records...)

mta: You can also find it on the IAAF website by googling "IAAF world record rule change" - read it right at the source. My phone won't let me copy the link for some reason.

I noticed this too.  They were going to take away Paula's 2:15, but my understanding was they grandfathered in that one but going forward no male pacers.

Now this in Berlin.

I'm not sure what to make of it.  I am 99% sure they did not establish two separate, official records.

Feeling the growl again

I see various articles from various news sources talking about this with no consistency on the outcome.  I just checked the IAAF records site and there is only one all-time list for the women's marathon....perhaps it is in the rules section but I don't have time to drill into that.

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page=news&cod=11459&tp=n#.VCmo1EvwCSE

(not good at posting from my phone, but the above says they changed the rules for women in 2013 to allow 2 kinds of records...)

mta: You can also find it on the IAAF website by googling "IAAF world record rule change" - read it right at the source. My phone won't let me copy the link for some reason.

well, it's here under rule changes approved by the congress: http://www.iaaf.org/news/iaaf-news/49th-iaaf-congress-concludes-in-moscow

I actually did try to search the PDF of the competition rules, but it crashed my phone, so...it's entirely possible that nobody knows what the rule is Smile

(modified because dumb typos)

Goorun

I don't know... I think most "runners" hear marathon in 2:02 and think insanely fast...or at least any runner that's ran a marathon and thought about times and paces.

Oh I'm sure of that. It's just the feel of that pace. Going to a track and trying 200 meters in 35 second or 400 meters in 70 seconds would make most people thinking, Holy Crap a marathon at THIS pace?