1 Week without Diet Coke! (Read 1210 times)

Prophet!

Its amazing how my life used to revolve around Diet Coke, that stuff is worse than cigarettes (i know this, i used to smoke 2 packs a day of camel non filters and cloves, my lungs are probably shot) .....prior to this week i used to chug gallons of that stuff all day...now my life feels so empty...oh well, i guess i'll just have to run more Big grin just thought I'd share this milestone...
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Congrats! There is some research that suggests that diet soft drinks and other nutrasweet products actually deaden your sensitivity to sweetness such that you ultimately crave more and more sweet to satisfy your sweet fix. As a result, paradoxically, folks who eat a lot of nutrasweet and drink diet drinks end up eating more overall calories and gaining weight! Keep up the good work!!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Congrats! There is some research that suggests that diet soft drinks and other nutrasweet products actually deaden your sensitivity to sweetness such that you ultimately crave more and more sweet to satisfy your sweet fix. As a result, paradoxically, folks who eat a lot of nutrasweet and drink diet drinks end up eating more overall calories and gaining weight!
        I've heard that, too, but I found during my years of strict low-carbing that I actually came to dislike things that were overly sweet, even though I was eating and drinking a fair amt. of things sweetened with Splenda. Is it only Nutrasweet that has that effect? Maybe it's because my overall sweet intake was greatly reduced and I didn't have the erratic blood sugar issues to make me crave carby stuff. I found that a LOT of things sweetened with non-nutritive sweeteners were overly sweet, to the point that I couldn't tolerate them. Things like sugar-free margarita mixers and other sugar-free soft drinks. I really need to cut back on my caffeine consumption, though. It's only in recent years that I have become a daily coffee drinker. Used to be that I might have 1-2 cups/week, now I am having that much every day. And caffeine no longer makes me jittery or gives me the boost it used to. I'm pretty immune to the effects. Though I am a zombie until I get my morning mug o' joe. Steve, how are you feeling? Has your running been affected in any way? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do not know the effect of splenda. I eat sugar. I try to avoid corn syrup. I avoid artifical sweeterners at all cost. I watch my overall intake. I run and try to burn more calories than I take in. I find that most artifical sweeterners tast to me both artificial and cloyingly sweet.

Prophet!

Steve, how are you feeling? Has your running been affected in any way? k
            I'm actually feeling great (other than being sick with a cold at the moment). I used to drink DC right before my morning runs and right after...but now i just drink water and really have no withdrawals at all...it used to be that my afternoons would drag on if i didn't drink any diet cokes but not anymore. Running wise i haven't really seen an noticeable effects good o bad. It just got to a point where i was drinking so much that my wife started to worry a bit. I was reading on the internet (so it must be true) how people experience headaches and other ailments while trying to quit drinking Diet Coke, that didn't really happen to me. Now the problem is finding a replacement comfort drink (other than bee) maybe i'll just start making ice teas at home with little regular sugar.
              I do not know the effect of splenda. I eat sugar. I try to avoid corn syrup. I avoid artifical sweeterners at all cost. I watch my overall intake. I run and try to burn more calories than I take in. I find that most artifical sweeterners tast to me both artificial and cloyingly sweet.
              Splenda is a gift from God!! As is running!!! If I eat real sugar I run to get my BG levels in check. But Splanda is guilt free and no effect on my diabetes at all

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

WTG on kicking your soda habit!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I was reading on the internet (so it must be true) how people experience headaches and other ailments while trying to quit drinking Diet Coke, that didn't really happen to me.
                  Steve, good for you! I used to drink pop semi-regularly and when I stopped, I really got the headaches. Once we just stopped having it in the house, though, the out-of-sight out-of-mind kicked in and it was pretty easy. I have to admit, though, that we still like to have pop when we eat pizza. There's just something about it....
                  JakeKnight

Good luck, Steve. I've quit a few things in my day, and my 2 2-liter of DC a day habit was the hardest. Man, I used to be able to drink a Big Gulp at midnight and then go to bed. One DC at dinner now and I'm not sleeping. I still drink (too much of) the decaf stuff and still have it out to dinner, but man it was good to lose that habit. Now I drink coffee, but just in the mornings. I love caffeine. Great drug. Tasty, too. But that all day every day thing is bad.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Well Done! I too know the pain of trying to kick the diet coke habit!!! I used to drink gallons of the stuff everyday but at the end of last year I went to have myself tested for food allergies and intolerances to see if it could help with my psoraisis and also because I was tired all the time. It was a running joke amongst my friends that I would always fall asleep in the weirdest places (including once with my head resting on a speaker in a nightclub!) Well it turns out that along with a lactose intolerance I have an sensitivity to aspartame which is in pretty much all of these fake sweeteners and it basically makes me fall asleep - which is ironic as I was drinking all the coke for the caffeine to keep me awake!! Since doing some more research on aspartame I've decied its a pretty nasty chemical (just google the word and see what comes up Shocked) and its probably a good thing I'm avoiding it now before I start to grow 2 heads or something. Anyway well done for this week - keep up the good work!
                      "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green
                        Great self-discipline! I have never had the soda addiction but I do have a coffee weakness and have been trying for months to "wean" it out of my life. I lack self-discipline in many areas of life, including saying no to stopping at the local Wa-Wa for a cup of coffee a few times a week. I stopped for a while and was drinking green tea, or tea with honey. But then I made the mistake of "rewarding" myself one morning with a cup of coffee and that suddenly made the teas not taste quite good enough!! My one aunt used to drink Pepsi night and day from the second she woke up. Her doctor finally told her she had to stop and after about 5 months she had herself to just ONE can a day. She felt so much better (once the headaches stopped), and she lost weight! Anyhow....Avoid that poison!! You're body will appreciate it.

Michelle

Now that was a bath...

Now you can eat mentos without exploding. Probably! Claire xxx
                        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now you can eat mentos without exploding.
                            Ha, I was just encouraging Eryn to have her son do that little trick for his Science project a few weeks back! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I pretty much did the same thing....only I drank Mt Dew all the time. When I made the decision to quit drinking it I found that drinking Propel fitness water was a good substitute. Something with just a dash of flavor because plain water all the time is just too blah. Jim
                                Steve, how's it going? Are you shaking yet? Smile