What is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach? (Read 1632 times)

xor

And cost the academic community millions in "research" grant money by solving the problem?

Reality is that I'm the only one who can describe, mimic, and teach how the women of Kenya carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure and nobody else in the world can.

Given they're referred to as "peer review" journals, then just who are my peers?

And you (supposedly) wonder why no one takes you seriously.

The view from the top must be nice, albeit cold.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I don't suppose anything...

Or as one magazine editor once told me, "Why would we be stupid enough to promote our own competition?"

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

here's a thought.  in the age of the internets...

post your masterpiece on a blog.  then you can't blame anyone else for your problems. 

Turbolegs

Is it just sour grapes SJ? You tried your fancy theory on him, it didnt appeal to his practical training mind so now you are feeling ignored and frustrated?

And as far as having all the answers are concerned, you never did explain how you could run with only 70% of body weight impact in the other thread (which as i observed, was tantamount to levitation). Everytime someone asks you a question, you start of saying something related to the question, and then cross link so many different articles that it seems it just all smoke and mirrors.

The question from the OP was meant (as i see it) as a casual post-run conversation topic - spewing venom and vulgarities, deserved or otherwise, doesnt seem to be a nice thing to do.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Feeling the growl again

Webb and Ritz are examples of how it can be really hard to judge coaches.  Webb is...well...Webb, he has a bit of a history and IMHO being able to buy into and stick with a program long enough to benefit from it.  Ritz seems to simply be injury-prone.  It's hard to tell how a coach is doing with someone when they are injured as much as they are training.  At that level, I think any coach would have Ritz doing sufficient training to trigger injury issues.  Sure, you could back him off to 50mpw but that would hardly make him competitive.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

Reality is that I'm the only one who can describe, mimic, and teach how the women of Kenya carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure and nobody else in the world can.

You taught all of the women of Kenya to walk???   Wow!

Runners run

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Doc, my tooth hurts

Given they're referred to as "peer review" journals, then just who are my peers?

Willy is impressed

L Train

If you have indeed taught Kenyan women such things, you are saying they are incapable of passing on this knowledge?  That would usually be the fault of the teacher, I would think. 

Prince of Fatness

The view from the top must be nice, albeit cold.

Yeah, I feel better just being one in the crowd of not so smart people.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Salazar is a tough SOB and SJ runs like an ostrich...perhaps this photo of their first meeting explains the angst...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

e454545rt

This was a good read, haha.

Kalsarikännit

And as far as having all the answers are concerned, you never did explain how you could run with only 70% of body weight impact in the other thread (which as i observed, was tantamount to levitation).

Looks like SJ taught that rhino to levitate.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The Mystery of the Kenyan Woman

Except that every "answer" has nothing to do with technique. The real joke is that nowhere does the author state they can carry the weight as efficiently as the women do. So by what definition of logic would his answers" be correct?

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

I thought I should check back in and see if there were any responses to my question- I did not anticipate things turning out this way!

I liked Xenoplastic's and Spaniels response which seemed thoughtful, but thanks to all.

I had in mind the "cryo tank" and the measurement of leg angles and so on rather than the arm carriage analysis when I referred to technology and innovative techniques.

I have read "Duel in the Sun", have met and chatted with Beardsley, but not Salazar, and have only second hand knowledge derived mostly from articles in running magazines on which to base opinions- this is why I asked a question instead of offering an opinion.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.