Doctor ordered week off. Is my plan screwed? (Read 136 times)

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

So, I was diagnosed with sinusitis today.  It's the complete opposite of awesome.  The doc said I should take a week off of running and let the antibiotics and my immune system do it's thing.  Problem is, I have a HM in March and a full in May that I was hoping to PR.  This week was the start of the meat of my training program and I had to skip my 20 miler this morning due to dealing with this crap.

So, if you've got the time, check my log/calendar and let me know if a week off will destroy my hopes.  That way I can recalibrate my thought process and just go with the flow in the upcoming races.

Also, after the week off, should I run by feel the following week or stick to the prescribed training plan?  It just sounds weird to skip a 55 mile week then go right back into a 55 mile week.

Thanks in advance!

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???

Runner100

My two cents is a week off won't hurt your overall fitness,  running or long term  training plans at all. As long as you don't make a habit of it. Might even freshen up your legs if you've been doing a lot of miles recently.Your log doesn't look like its public. Hope you feel better soon.

So, I was diagnosed with sinusitis today.  It's the complete opposite of awesome.  The doc said I should take a week off of running and let the antibiotics and my immune system do it's thing.  Problem is, I have a HM in March and a full in May that I was hoping to PR.  This week was the start of the meat of my training program and I had to skip my 20 miler this morning due to dealing with this crap.

So, if you've got the time, check my log/calendar and let me know if a week off will destroy my hopes.  That way I can recalibrate my thought process and just go with the flow in the upcoming races.

Also, after the week off, should I run by feel the following week or stick to the prescribed training plan?  It just sounds weird to skip a 55 mile week then go right back into a 55 mile week.

Thanks in advance!

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

My two cents is a week off won't hurt your overall fitness,  running or long term  training plans at all. As long as you don't make a habit of it. Might even freshen up your legs if you've been doing a lot of miles recently.Your log doesn't look like its public. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for the response and well wishes.  You're right my log was set to private...should be fixed now.

jackfrost9p

I had to take two weeks off, five weeks before my first marathon due to achilles tendonitis. In the 3 weeks remaining, I did a quick 1.5 week ramp up to a long run of 13 miles and then a 1.5 week taper. I also missed some of the most important training weeks. Prior to being hurt, I ran a couple 17 milers and one 20 miler peaking at 60 miles per week. I was able to finish the marathon (San Francisco) without walking and 10 minutes slower than a BQ. However, the last 10k was a bit rough.

That said, I think you'll be fine, especially since you have run marathons before and have some nice 50 mile weeks. Also, May is still 3 months away... plenty of time. If the HM is near the end of March, maybe you can do something like I did. At the end of the day, you will just have to listen to your body for the HM.

Marathon: 2:48:49 (Boston 2014) - Half: 1:22:11 (Berkeley 2013)

2x sub-24 100 mile finisher

Next: Big Sur Marathon - Blog: http://jbfinn.blogspot.com/

Mr MattM

If we're talking about the cumulative training effect over many months, then no, one week won't amount to any significant de-training.  However, I'm not sure why an entire week off is necessary (but, I'm clearly not a MD).  Seems to me that after 2 days of a Z Pak you'd feel much better and be able to run without issue.  If you're taking a fluoroquinolone like Cipro or Levaquin there is concern about possible tendon rupture.  If you're not taking a Z Pak, tell your Doc to change your med... it'll knock out the infection and you can still run.

be curious; not judgmental

I'd say you're fine. Take the week off or just take the week easy. Run every other day half the mileage at an easy pace or something like that. Should still be able to hit 20 miles or so and not lose fitness. Then just scale back slightly the following week and then you're set.

I just had to take a couple weeks off because I pulled some leg stuff and thought I was done for. I feel your frustration. Luckily I got a solid 20 mile run in about 5 weeks before the race. That's probably my last long run before the marathon.

Thanks in advance!

You're not going to lose your fitness in a week or two particularly you seem to have done plenty of long runs.  More runners screw up and lose the opportunity to do well in the race by doing too much; by trying to stick with the plan and fulfilling ALL the elements of training.  The Golden Rule is "If in doubt, do less!"

That said, since your issue is not like Jack's (not leg/foot injury that would hurt you if you run), I would actually suggest you get out and do something REAL NICE AND EASY even for 15 minutes.  I got sinus infection last November--that was the worst I got in 7 or 8 years!!  It was nasty but I never missed a day.  Of course, I might go to the gym and jog like 4MPH pace for 15 minutes in my sweats (trying to sweat it out).  If you don't have high temperature or aching joints, I believe easy exercise actually helps overcome sickness.  And, for preparation for half/full marathon, it's a good thing to work your legs against gravity and let them take some poundings.  Go by how you feel and go real easy.

Take 2 or 3 days when you get back to the routine; don't be too overly ambitious getting back.  The real training is over 3-4 weeks before the marathon; if you do too much then, you'll more likely bomb out.

Clearly every case is different, but I had sinusitis a few weeks back. The doc prescribed some meds. When I asked if I was ok to run, he said absolutely as long as I felt up to it.

So I would second Nobby's advice.

Get out and go easy. Best of luck and a speedy recovery.

I think you need to ask yourself one question: What would Kenny Stabler do? Big grin

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

Kenny Stabler wouldn't have went to the doctor and would have run a sub-2 hour marathon after drinking a gallon of whiskey.

I really appreciate the responses, all.  I'll let you know how things go so.  Hopefully it's a good thing in disguise (for my legs, that is).