Run-Walk Method (Read 187 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

For those that practice Run-Walk, what ratios have you been using?  I've just started doing this for longer runs.  I go by distance rather than time.   For the most part, I have been running in the 10:00's, 0.5-1.0 mile, and walk 0.05-0.1 miles.  It may vary when I come up to a stop light and start my walk then.  I also might shorten the interval the farther I go.  I think there is a Galloway book on this.

Go to Jeff Galloway.com.  He recommends a certain run/walk ratio depending on your pace.  With the hotter weather in the summer (I live in AZ) I have been doing 4/1 which works perfect for me (I'm about 9:00 pace on my long runs).  As it cools down, and as I start marathon training, I'll build up to 9:1, which I'll use for my marathons.  The biggest key to the Galloway method is starting at mile 1 vs when you get tired.

The method is based on your one mile (Magic Mile) and that determines your pace.   Then the pace determines your run/walk ratio.

I've used it off and on and am currently using it for the hot summer and find it works well for me  when I want to build up my mileage (which is what I'm doing now) or during the really hot weather (which is right now).

Champions are made when no one is watching

Half Crazy K 2.0

I used .43 miles run, .07 walk for 2 half marathons (I programmed an interval workout to do that 26 times, plus a cool down).  I didn't want to program in time & then have intervals remaining or not enough at the end. So not Galloway, but it worked for me.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

.95/.05 for 12 miles today.  That worked well and our average pace was faster than our short runs with no walking.  Of course it was a lot cooler today.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Bought the book.  I didn't find it very helpful, but possibly okay for a newbie.  Did you know Jeff Galloway sells his own run-walk watch ???