Running with audiobooks (Read 7325 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone do this? My best friend (backroadrunner) has been doing this for years and tomorrow I take the plunge. Last Summer I listened to NPR podcasts on my long runs while training for marathon #1, but I've pretty much run out. So the next step is the audiobook. I have beside me Chelsea Handler's book "Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea" and the David Sedaris books "Barrel Fever: and Other Stories" and "Naked." I loves me the public library and inter-library loan. What books have you listened to on the run? What genre do you prefer? Any particular authors you especially enjoy?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

When it comes to audiobooks, it's almost less about the author and more about the reader. Do you remember that "Risk Management" episode of Seinfeld? Some of them are like this. (side note, I guess I'm the only person on earth who pretty much hated Naked. Me Talk Pretty was awesome, but I really didn't dig Naked)

Best Present Ever

i did this exactly one time -- I was in the middle of the last Harry Potter book with the kids, and couldn't wait for the end. It made a 2 hour run go by pleasantly, but it was hard to keep my speed up because I was too focussed on the book.

Outside Lane

I have been into the running podcasts lately. 4feetrunning is a great way to pass the time on the dreadmill (nik and dan are a hoot). But I can't wait for it to warm up so I can get outside - will probably ditch the ipod for the runs outside at that time (I want to hear birds - I want to hear kids laughing - I want to feel the sun on my face! Will spring just hurry up and get here please!!!). Haven't made the jump to an audiobook.

See how they run...

I have issues listening to fiction while running, but not while driving. Confused

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i did this exactly one time -- I was in the middle of the last Harry Potter book with the kids, and couldn't wait for the end. It made a 2 hour run go by pleasantly, but it was hard to keep my speed up because I was too focussed on the book.
              To me that's a GOOD thing. I run to music or with friends for most runs and those tend to be a bit faster. I like my long runs to be easy, which spoken word stuff seems to encourage. SRL, I think you're right about the narrator. I'm thrilled that David and his sister, Amy, are the narrators of his books and Chelsea Handler narrates her book--she's an absolute scream. I couldn't imagine someone else reading her words.

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

No audiobooks, just podcasts. There are so many good ones out there, whatever you're in the mood for. And if you get tired of it, just pick a different genre.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Go Pre!

I tried once (Tuesdays with Morrie) Had to go get the book because I kept zoning out on the runs.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...I kept zoning out on the runs.
                    You say that like it's a bad thing. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

325th place or bust!

I've listened to podcasts and audiobooks on runs in the past. I don't listen much anymore because I'm often running the streets and I want to listen for cars, plus the road noise drowns out the speaker. Only if it's a longer run on the beach path do I occasinally listen as it can make the run go by faster.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Driver, Runner, Bestie

I listen to audiobooks on almost every single run. I haven't found that it slows me down any. I also run on the road, so I keep only one ear piece in. What I really liked recently was The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson and The Shining by Stephen King (which was a little freaky on those pre-dawn runs). The reader does make a lot of difference, but I think that if the publishing company is going to put the money into making an audio version, the reader is usually decent. My library is an invaluable resource for getting audiobooks. I can order them online at no cost . Free is good!
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My library is an invaluable resource for getting audiobooks. I can order them online at no cost . Free is good!
                          Yep, that's where I'm getting mine. With the inter-library loan program I can get nearly any audiobook available. Very nice. They aren't cheap to buy.

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

When I used to walk, I enjoyed Lewis Black's Nothing Sacred and Jon Stewart's America. I also enjoyed the NPR series Speaking of Faith podcasts. I haven't done audiobooks since running, but may start to this year.

TRUST THE PROCESS

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Audible.com is not a bad way to go. $15 a month gets you 1 credit, which is good for nearly every book in their extensive library (occasionally, really big new titles will be 2 credits). Plenty of books are individually priced higher than $15, so being a member works out to a pretty good deal. So I'm a big fan of Audible. The great thing about getting audiobooks in a true audiobook format (as opposed to ripping them from CDs) is that they come as 1 file (or maybe 2~3 for really long books). The one file has chapters in it, and audiobooks have the option of being played back at slightly faster speed, which is great. (I know of a few Applescript hacks that allow you to convert regular MP3 files to AB format). MTA: Current deal if you sign up for the $14.95/mo plan is you get the first 3 months @ $7.95/mo

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

pitrunner

Jim Dale, who reads the Harry Potter series, is AMAZING. He has totally ruined me for all other audio books. The Chelsea Handler book might make for good entertainment while running.