Bicycling.com is using Running ahead log (Read 1661 times)

obxbes

Just got notice that bcycling.com has made available a cycling log. Gosh it looks just like the running ahead log.
      Well, they are owned by Rodale who licensed the RA log for RWOL, so it would make sense. Not that I'm privy to any of the inner workings out of RunningAhead Corporate Headquarters.

Runners run

[deleted and sent as e-mail to Eric]

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I just hope Running Ahead does NOT get RW forums. Plucking slow if you ask me!No
          eric :)

Mikeymike is right, as always. The license was signed with Rodale (the parent company of RW). Since Rodale owns a whole bunch of fitness sites, they are free to use the log wherever they like. I'm surprised that they continue to roll out an out dated version. RA will march on with more new features and you're more than welcome to brag about them to the users of these out dated logs Wink
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'm surprised that they continue to roll out an out dated version.
              I'm not. It's pretty typical for big organizations trying to release software. By the time they get a version tested and released, they're four versions behind.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think Eric's point is that they licensed a version of RA from him many many moons ago. Since then, he has made numerous improvements, including GPS import, however RW has not licensed any of the updates. They are still using the version they originally got.

Prince of Fatness

They are still using the version they originally got.
                  That's because in their minds there's no justification to upgrade, from a dollars and cents standpoint. I see situations like this all of the time.

Not at it at all. 

That's because in their minds there's no justification to upgrade, from a dollars and cents standpoint. I see situations like this all of the time.
                    And truthfully, there really is very little reason to upgrade. Just because the current RunningAhead software is way better than the original version (and has been since about a month after they licensed it when Eric put in a bunch of bug fixes), it doesn't mean that what they do have isn't leagues better than anything else out there (except here obviously.) And since they have a much larger marketing budget than Eric, people will find their logs and think, "Wow, this log rocks!" Then some day they'll notice that this one is even better and switch. Big grin

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

This reminds me of a thread a little while ago. Someone asked why Eric just didn't buy a log/or some feature instead of trying to build it himself. I think this proves the point why he doesn't buy. Creativity is in the creation, not the purchase. If he were to just buy a log himself, there wouldn't be much incentive to upgrade.
                      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                        This reminds me of a thread a little while ago. Someone asked why Eric just didn't buy a log/or some feature instead of trying to build it himself. I think this proves the point why he doesn't buy. Creativity is in the creation, not the purchase. If he were to just buy a log himself, there wouldn't be much incentive to upgrade.
                        I believe that feature was the forum. Unlike some the other sites, because RA has a custom forum, the user gets a seamless site experience, as opposed to a patchwork of freeware, profile links to your running log, single account registration, and no spam bots.