2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

SC Don't knock the cell phone flash light. I've practiced race pace removal of the phone from my Brooks shorts a few times. Even sent a message or two. Nothing new on race day, right?

Have you considered arm sleeves instead of rolling up a long sleeved running shirt? POSSIBLY toss them on the course, or shove them in the back of your shorts so as to not litter on course. While I've done a few training runs with a headlamp, I might feel kind of dumb wearing it at mile 20 of a race with a 2 mile tunnel at the start. Perhaps the Transport Team can be nearby to acquire it from you on race day?  i.e. wife drives to the start and hangs out around mile 4 to catch your special night light then waits for you to call her and tell her you're done. Everyone knows you're taking the phone so you can update the forum with your results first, then call the wife second.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

There's no bag drop for a point to point race OR shuttles? That should be illegal.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

How did people ever manage before cell phones?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I looked at the website. There is parking at the finish line, with shuttles to the start. Curious why you opted against that. I like the Mikkey approach of buying the cheapest headlamp you can find.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

I looked at the website. There is parking at the finish line, with shuttles to the start. Curious why you opted against that. I like the Mikkey approach of buying the cheapest headlamp you can find.

Pretty sure I saw $1 LED headlamps at WalMart the other day. not sure I'd trust my running to them but headlights can get pretty damn cheap.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Speed Surplus

There's no bag drop for a point to point race OR shuttles? That should be illegal.

There's a bag drop at the start, and a separate bag drop after the tunnel - I just don't want to futz with a bag while I'm trying to run fast. I just looked at pictures of people exiting the tunnel from the year I ran, and people are holding bags in their teeth, wedged to their side, etc... it's a goat rodeo that I don't want to be a part of!

The shuttle thing is a mystery to me. They have separate parking that's several miles from the start and you can get a shuttle from there TO the start, and then a shuttle back to that spot afterward. I did that last time.

But here's the thing. I have been late to a race start (not this one, admittedly) by riding the shuttle before. I want no part of that this time. It will be rainy and cold, so I'm going to park near the start and hang out in my car, periodically emerging to use the bathroom 30 times before the race. There's a lot of parking near the start - it's next to a ski resort! You need a Discover Pass, but I already have one. So I have no idea why they don't offer a shuttle back to the start.

"Have you considered arm sleeves instead of rolling up a long sleeved running shirt? POSSIBLY toss them on the course, or shove them in the back of your shorts so as to not litter on course. While I've done a few training runs with a headlamp, I might feel kind of dumb wearing it at mile 20 of a race with a 2 mile tunnel at the start. Perhaps the Transport Team can be nearby to acquire it from you on race day?  i.e. wife drives to the start and hangs out around mile 4 to catch your special night light then waits for you to call her and tell her you're done. Everyone knows you're taking the phone so you can update the forum with your results first, then call the wife second."

I did wear arm sleeves last time! May consider that option again, although the ones I own are ridiculous looking.

Unfortunately there's very little access for anyone on the trail, so I wouldn't be able to hand the lamp to my wife or anyone else at mile 4, etc... I mean, it's possible to get access at certain points, but it would require significant hiking.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Speed Surplus

Nah, it's not the finish. It's a separate third location. And shuttles return to that spot, not the finish. See my other reply - I don't really trust it. And my bathroom needs on race morning are...unconventional. Last time I was about ready to piss on the bus because it was taking too long.

My Desires Are Unconventional

I don't mind throwing away a headlamp, but it's like... I already have one that attaches to this vest? So it seems like it will be fine.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My philosophy on race day is that I shouldn't stress about the money of tossed items. I trained how many damn hours in all sorts of awful conditions, days I wanted to sleep in, night I wanted to just hang out on the couch and watch TV? Spending $20 for some arm warmers I'm going to toss is totally worth it.

I hear you on the bathroom needs on the bus. I've basically waddled my way to the start of the NYC marathon because I was on the bus line by 6:00 am and not through security at the start until 8:30!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Goal was sub-3, and I ran 2:57 off less than 50 miles per week.  Ran easy based on HR then, and I run easy based on HR now.  So yeah, you were wrong.

Yep, I’m wrong. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - I think I'm not communicating what I mean all that well...I don't consider that first jog to be a marathon.  Melbourne will be my first, so unless it goes way worse than expected, if I improve the time I get in Melbourne by 16 minutes in my second marathon, I'd be very happy.  I don't think that's realistic though.

I'm loving this taper madness...I've considered taking my phone in my flip belt on races but like Mikkey I wouldn't want the extra weight unless there was a really good reason (like finding people at the finish).

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

There's a bag drop at the start, and a separate bag drop after the tunnel - I just don't want to futz with a bag while I'm trying to run fast. I just looked at pictures of people exiting the tunnel from the year I ran, and people are holding bags in their teeth, wedged to their side, etc... it's a goat rodeo that I don't want to be a part of!

The shuttle thing is a mystery to me. They have separate parking that's several miles from the start and you can get a shuttle from there TO the start, and then a shuttle back to that spot afterward. I did that last time.

But here's the thing. I have been late to a race start (not this one, admittedly) by riding the shuttle before. I want no part of that this time. It will be rainy and cold, so I'm going to park near the start and hang out in my car, periodically emerging to use the bathroom 30 times before the race. There's a lot of parking near the start - it's next to a ski resort! You need a Discover Pass, but I already have one. So I have no idea why they don't offer a shuttle back to the start.

"Have you considered arm sleeves instead of rolling up a long sleeved running shirt? POSSIBLY toss them on the course, or shove them in the back of your shorts so as to not litter on course. While I've done a few training runs with a headlamp, I might feel kind of dumb wearing it at mile 20 of a race with a 2 mile tunnel at the start. Perhaps the Transport Team can be nearby to acquire it from you on race day?  i.e. wife drives to the start and hangs out around mile 4 to catch your special night light then waits for you to call her and tell her you're done. Everyone knows you're taking the phone so you can update the forum with your results first, then call the wife second."

I did wear arm sleeves last time! May consider that option again, although the ones I own are ridiculous looking.

Unfortunately there's very little access for anyone on the trail, so I wouldn't be able to hand the lamp to my wife or anyone else at mile 4, etc... I mean, it's possible to get access at certain points, but it would require significant hiking.

goofy arm sleeves and wearing a headlamp to the finish it is.

as for parking and drop bags...meh. Not everyone needs so much crap at the start of a race. Heck. CIM 2021 didn't have a drop bag at the start and I managed a sub 3.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

My philosophy on race day is that I shouldn't stress about the money of tossed items. I trained how many damn hours in all sorts of awful conditions, days I wanted to sleep in, night I wanted to just hang out on the couch and watch TV? Spending $20 for some arm warmers I'm going to toss is totally worth it.

I hear you on the bathroom needs on the bus. I've basically waddled my way to the start of the NYC marathon because I was on the bus line by 6:00 am and not through security at the start until 8:30!

Can I have $20? I mean...if you're just goin to spend it on useless stuff I could use it for some $6/gallon training fuel.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - before I forget, I thought about you this weekend. When I was running at the Jersey Shore, it felt like out of nowhere, someone stabbed me with a red hot knife. Realized it was a horse fly bite that is still really blown up 4 days later. No clue how you deal with these things throughout the entire summer. Mosquitoes are annoying. Horse flies would make me quit running.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Can I have $20? I mean...if you're just goin to spend it on useless stuff I could use it for some $6/gallon training fuel.

Just donate it to Zelensky so that he can buy new green t shirt?

JT - before I forget, I thought about you this weekend. When I was running at the Jersey Shore, it felt like out of nowhere, someone stabbed me with a red hot knife. Realized it was a horse fly bite that is still really blown up 4 days later. No clue how you deal with these things throughout the entire summer. Mosquitoes are annoying. Horse flies would make me quit running.

Sorry you had to experience that! They are so damn annoying. Their activity and aggressiveness seems to be directly proportional to the dew point. So the last couple mornings have been no issue since it was nice and cool, but they'll be biting in force once we get regular 60+ dew points. It's the one downside of where I run: river on one side, woods on the other, ideal environment for them. 

2:52:16 (2018)