Pushpinned Course Maps (Read 556 times)

Seems like the search engine for courses is querky in regards to the city to search in. Eric, I know you have addressed this before. Instead of typing in a city name, what about having every course pushpinned on the Googlemaps? That way you could just zoom in on whatever location you may be and see courses already plotted nearby. Something like this
    eric :)

Corb, That's something I'm considering. It shouldn't be too hard.
      Pheidippides

I think it is a good ideas as well and will add another community element to the website, allowing us to see other runners trails around ours. Making certain trails private is important, I realised making my first few gmap-pedometer maps that, given any two endpoints you can guess where someone work/lives... :-O But on the whole, having your city get slowly spiderwebbed with runningAHEAD users would be AWESOME. I love the notes, I noticed a small bug in firefox, you have to be playful and click, then tab, because the first time you try and write, the note disappears.
        eric :)

I think it is a good ideas as well and will add another community element to the website, allowing us to see other runners trails around ours.
          this is in the works.
          Making certain trails private is important, I realised making my first few gmap-pedometer maps that, given any two endpoints you can guess where someone work/lives... :-O
          You can specify a map to be private, and if you do not wish to share your maps, you can also default all maps to be private as well. I'm all about safety, and ensuring that no one knows where you live and run is very important.
          But on the whole, having your city get slowly spiderwebbed with runningAHEAD users would be AWESOME.
          I have to admit that my site is behind in this area. Many other sites already do that but they're not all that usable. The problem is there are so many data points that the map will be overwhelmed and your browser will be very slow. I've been thinking about this problem on and off and haven't found a solution yet. A good analogy is the cheap telescope/microscope manufacturers boasting about their equipments' magnifications (100x, 200x, etc), which mislead the consumers into thinking that's all that matters. In reality, the magnifications don't mean a thing if the images aren't clear. I rather take a little longer in coming up with features but do them correctly than to create them and be not usable.
          I love the notes, I noticed a small bug in firefox, you have to be playful and click, then tab, because the first time you try and write, the note disappears.
          This bug has been fixed, but I haven't released it yet mainly because nobody complained about it. If something is not working correctly, PLEASE tell me instead of hoping someone else would. eric Smile