Just a Short Run 30K (Read 564 times)

Just A Short Run 30K (18.6 miles.) Suburban Pittsburgh. 8:30 a.m. Mar. 29. My first 30K. Sunny. @ 32-35 F. Unlike last week’s race (see Lt. JC Stone report) I didn’t oversleep. Already a good start! This race had simultaneous starts for a 5K & half-marathon. There were about 1,100 total finishers so, I had to weave through a lot of people early on. A 130-foot climb over half-mile started around mile one, prompting a fair number of people to walk or slow down. After a similar drop in elevation, the course was basically flat. Essentially three loops on last week's course, but in reverse. I hooked up with a guy who I ran with in another race earlier this year. He’s run a few Bostons, so we chatted about goals, tips, etc. Another guy hooked up with us, too. He’s training for another marathon. I think we helped each other keep a good pace. I know I went faster than I had originally envisioned (I had looked at past age group winning times and figured I had a shot at placing, but these guys helped me go faster.) With several miles to go, I felt strong and left them. So, maybe I was helping them keep the pace? A guy who looked to be about my age had passed us and was about 40 yards ahead with a few miles to go. I caught him on a slight hill. About a mile to the end, he went ahead again and I said, “Go for it, you got it.” But, with about quarter mile to go, he wasn’t widening the gap. I dropped the hammer and passed him in the final stretch. Turns out, he was several years younger. My Garmin put me @ 2 hrs, 9 minutes, but also recorded the distance at 18.9 miles. If it’s right, that’s 6:50 per mile, which is what I would need to do to break 3 hours at Boston. Can I do it? We’ll see. I felt strong and picked it up over the last five miles, but a marathon is almost 8 miles further. The race chip had about the same time, but with 18.6 miles. Pace of about 6:56. I had hoped to place in my age group (40-44) but I won the Masters Division (40+) That thrilled me! (In last week’s race, the overall winner was 49, so there are plenty of older runners faster than me.) I won $40 (which I promptly spent on a case of Rogue Dead Guy ale!) an NB jacket w/ the race logo & a medal. The race goodies were a pair of shorts (get it: Just a Short Run0 and a pottery finisher’s medal made by a local artist. The shorts are a nice change from shirts. 8th overall, out of 133 30K finishers, including 89 males. I think I had some karma because I helped hand out race packets and enter registrants. Next up, Boston! Thanks for reading.
      Next up, Boston! Thanks for reading.
      Thanks for sharing.

Vim

Another Passion

Congratulations, Dan! First place Masters, that's awesome! Good luck at Boston.

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Great race report Dan! Any chance you are doing the Deloitte 15k or the 'Burgh's 10K? or are you saving all now for Boston. The Deloitte is going to be my longest race yet..I'm training for my first HM in Morgantown, WV in June.
          Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
            Great race report Dan! Any chance you are doing the Deloitte 15k or the 'Burgh's 10K? or are you saving all now for Boston. The Deloitte is going to be my longest race yet..I'm training for my first HM in Morgantown, WV in June.
            I just saw the brochure and am thinking about it. I work a lot of weekends and have had to make some special scheduling requests recently, but if I have off, or if I could get to work on time/not too late, I may. I live near where the race will be anyway. In any event, good luck then, and good luck in Morgantown!
              Dan, That is SWEEET, you broke a 7:00 min pace on an 18+ mile run. Kick ass at Boston
                Thanks! Don't know if you ever saw my reply to your job on the job post, but you have one cool job!
                  Thanks! Don't know if you ever saw my reply to your job on the job post, but you have one cool job!
                  Back at ya. I'd love to give the mild mannered reporter thing a shot. (especially if I could break a 7:00 pace for 18 miles, that rocks!)
                    The race chip had about the same time, but with 18.6 miles. Pace of about 6:56. I won $40 (which I promptly spent on a case of Rogue Dead Guy ale!)
                    Nice run! And good choice for use of prize money!

sean