Boston 2013 Non-finishers are invited back for 2014 (Read 154 times)

Resident Historian

http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/news-listing/2013/may/baa-issues-special-invitation-to-2013-boston-marathon-starters.aspx

Good decision, I believe. Depending on whether they are able to increase the field (& by how many), it may affect cutoff times for 2014 entry.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

#artbydmcbride

w00t

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

w00t

You're going back, then, I take it. Smile  Hope to see you there!

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

w00t

+1  So glad I don't have to BQ again before September in order to go back in 2014!

Mysecondnewname

Pure speculation on my part, but it does seem like they are considering increasing the field, but I imagine that the other cities/officials/law enforcement in the cities affected are going to have a lot of say.

However, even if they don't, I suspect that since the non-finishers were in the latter half of the field, the cutoff times are more likely to be affected by the apparent increased demand amongst faster marathoners to run Boston as a statement in 2014.

I could be wrong, however--will be interesting to see what happens.

Feeling the growl again

Pure speculation on my part, but it does seem like they are considering increasing the field, but I imagine that the other cities/officials/law enforcement in the cities affected are going to have a lot of say.

However, even if they don't, I suspect that since the non-finishers were in the latter half of the field, the cutoff times are more likely to be affected by the apparent increased demand amongst faster marathoners to run Boston as a statement in 2014.

I could be wrong, however--will be interesting to see what happens.

I am sure it is under consideration; they have had bigger fields in the past.  But the race has a major impact on some small towns along the way (particularly Hopkinton) and it is wise for BAA to take their time and work with the other stakeholders in order to maintain their goodwill with them.  We shall see.  Plenty of time for them to reach a decision.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

heelgrad92

I am fine with this so long as it doesn't keep out other otherwise qualified runners.  I re-qualified for Boston at Boston this year, and I would kind of like to be able to go back since I earned it.  There are roughly 32,500 qualified runners if you add them all up on marathonguide.  Some more will qualify to be sure, but from here on out the weather is going to become a factor for people who decided since April to ramp up.