Will running help my hiking? (Read 381 times)

JimR

I see the issue now, sport jester.  You said "OP' but you don't know what that means.

Prince of Fatness

This is who he trains....

Not at it at all. 

sport jester

Biomimeticist

read by a bunch of wannabes

So what are you? A wannabe running coach?

Actually most of those seeking SEAL careers are playing collegiate level sports. Lacrosse, wrestling, water polo, as well as others.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I see the issue now, sport jester.  You said "OP' but you don't know what that means.

Original post.

It was a question if running improved his hiking. The two require completely different skills of movement. Which is a difference I'm still waiting for anyone to explain.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

I am the original poster. I think the point of my original question was not directed to mechanics of running vs hiking or trail running vs hiking.  I was more interested in the cardio / muscle strength and endurance aspects of it. If I could run 26.2 miles I should be able to hike 20 miles easier as opposed to someone who doesn't run.  I think you also forgot I have to carry 45 pounds on my back.  Anyways, if you guys want to know what happened on my June hike, here is the video below.  I felt pretty good for the first 6 hours until I got food poisoning and almost died out there 3 days later.  thanks JackNthebox fast food.!!!  Hopefully in the upcoming spring I will attempt this hike again and see how the  running helps my hiking.

My youtube vid of section A. Pacific crest trail

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Hey Wolf, I'm glad you enjoyed your challenge. While I apologize for the direction of the thread melting into a series of personal attacks of my credibility, unfortunately its what I put up with to offer advice to anyone.

Load bearing is a skill. And posters here won't mention that reality is because they know nothing of the subject or its connection to running skill. Since most here think a subscription to a running magazine qualifies them as a forum expert, their education ineptness offers nothing anyone can use to improve their movement skills.

Because the children of the best at load bearing are the ones dominating distance running events. And since no expert can explain that reality besides myself, their pathetic sideshow of trying to attack me is their only way to deal with someone who knows more about running than they do.

The story is the best at load bearing are actually the women of Kenya. Since they're documented in ability to carry 20% of their bodyweight with no increase in energy expenditure, this article link is what I use with my own private clients.http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm

In short; the best at running and load bearing don't walk like we do, run like we do, or carry weight as ineptly as we do..

Unlike any pompous windbag (including Salazar) is a list which includes everyone who posts here as well that cannot describe how they do it.

What makes me different is that I can. Not only can I explain the women, but teach the skill as well.

And that's why distracting you from being helped is the goal of everyone here. Attacking me is the only means anyone has here to keep people from following the advice I share and validating it for others.

Because if you want to be a better runner, you first have to learn how to be a better walker. And that skill is determined by your ability to carry weight, which is why military clients understand and appreciate what I teach.

Since you're attempting another event later, if you want to train for load bearing maneuverability, then your training routine has to be vastly different than your road running preparation. That's the science behind improving your cardio skills before you even begin to focus on your speed skills regardless to terrain environment.

And of course you can write me privately to have a more adult conversation than possible here.

What makes me different is that I can. Not only can I explain the women, but teach the skill as well.

Son, no one can explain women.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

JimR

I am the original poster. I think the point of my original question was not directed to mechanics of running vs hiking or trail running vs hiking.  I was more interested in the cardio / muscle strength and endurance aspects of it. If I could run 26.2 miles I should be able to hike 20 miles easier as opposed to someone who doesn't run.  I think you also forgot I have to carry 45 pounds on my back.  Anyways, if you guys want to know what happened on my June hike, here is the video below.  I felt pretty good for the first 6 hours until I got food poisoning and almost died out there 3 days later.  thanks JackNthebox fast food.!!!  Hopefully in the upcoming spring I will attempt this hike again and see how the  running helps my hiking.

Whatever running you are doing, I'd be making sure to get in a good hill repeat session once a week every week.  That type of workout would more specific to your hiking.