Half-Marathon Training Plan (Read 41 times)

I did a search on RA.  The posts I found were irrelevant or old.  Need current perspective.

I am 51 years old and am back to running about 20 miles per week.  Running about 4 to 8/9 miles at a time....3 to 4 days per week.  It has been about 5 or 6 years since I did a half marathon and now that I am back to running and feeling pretty fit, I wanted to find a half-marathon training program that might push me and help me with setting a pretty aggressive goal.

When I did my half marathons in the past, I only did my own training plans.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good plan to look at to try and push me to see if I can get to a solid HM in the next 10 to 12 weeks?

Thanks!

Sean

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

an amazing likeness

Your description of your running -- 20 mpw in 3 or 4 runs per week with distances around 4mi - 8mi -- makes you the target candidate for the Hal Higdon half marathon training plans. Good plans, proven history, strongly oriented towards recreation runners looking to have a structured runup to a new race (or re-visiting a race) distance.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks for the recommendation.  What has always struck me about he HH training programs is the walking part.  I just don't get that.  It really turns me off for some reason.  Having run at least a dozen HMs I know what it takes to get there and feel good about my race.  I just feel like a program that will push me (no walking) but have solid rest days and a combination of speed and strength workouts is what I am more interested in.

Is there anyone that has done the HH program after having done something else previously.....your own plan versus another plan?  How would you rate or contrast it?  Better, worse, different.....what is good, bad, or indifferent about your experiences?

an amazing likeness

I think you may be confusing Higdon with Galloway -- Galloway has the run/walk. My short answer to all you other questions would be the HH plans are very well proven (as are the others as well), and lots of folks -- beginners and experienced -- use them as guidance for structured runup to a race distance.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

milktruck.....thanks for that clarification!  I'll take a look at the HH programs and see what I think might work for me.

SMART Approach

Chop, message me. I will send you my GAIT Half Marathon Plan and many tips as well at no charge. Take a look. It is 14 weeks but you can modify it to 10-12.  All I ask is you write up a testimony after you kill your HALF.

smartapproachtraining@gmail.com

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com