What a food diary can do (Read 1156 times)

AnneCA

I weighed myself today: 124. I was 133 in January, when I decided I needed to become more conscious about my food choices. Look what consciousness does! 133 was a healthy weight for me (I'm 5'6.5"), so I didn't really set out to lose weight (I was kind of hoping for 125), but that has obviously been the effect. The last time I regularly weighed this much was 1992, when I was 23 and running over 30 mpw. By 1996, no longer running regularly, I had levelled out at 130, give or take. From 2002-2006, I was either pregnant or nursing or both. By the time my second daughter weaned, I was around 125, but over the course of the next year, it crept up to the 135 territory, although I had also started running again, albeit limited mileage. I guess I'd gotten too used to the calorie requirements of pregnancy and nursing! I'm turning 40 this year, and despite the fact that 135 was a fine weight for me according to the charts, I really didn't like the trend of the last year and felt that potential for middle age spread looming. So I started a food diary to help me be more mindful of my eating. Talk about eye-opening! By far the hugest effect of the food diary has been on my breakfast habits. I will probably never eat a full-sized bagel with cream cheese again! I've also cut out a lot of unnecessary snacking, and become much more careful about portion size. But that's really it. It's barely noticeable, but what a difference it's made. I know these are small numbers I'm talking about, and that others have made much more significant changes. From them I have drawn a lot of inspriation. I'm not sure how long I'll keep up the food diary. In a way I feel like I got everything I needed out of the exercise within the first week, but keeping it up so far has really been good to reinforce those habits. Although, I might have that bagel with cream cheese after the half marathon I'm hoping for this fall.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Totally. Agree. Congrats on your focus and you sucess.
        Anne, I couldn't agree more. When I got fed up with being fat, I started my running program. i'd done this before, and I knew what I had to do to get back into running shape. However, for the first time, I kept a journal of my calorie intake. being conscious of what I was eating, and how much, was pivotal in my loss of 40 pounds. It's so simple, yet so essential...

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

The Greatest of All Time

I have kept one for the past 2.5 years. It's just like keeping track of your bank account. Congratulations.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is a nice adjunct to the food diary: http://www.nutritiondata.com
              Can you give us a glimpse into your food diary?

Vim

AnneCA

Can you give us a glimpse into your food diary?
                Hm, that I don't know how to do. It's on SparkPeople, but I haven't poked around on that site much beyond food tracking. And I'm not sure I'd like to show anyone what I resorted to on our roadtrip this weekend! I like and don't like SparkPeople. I have been pretty impressed with the amount of food they have loaded in there with detailed info. I always knew I should be taking a calcium supplement, but seeing it in black and white like that finally kicked me into action. Quantity of data isn't everything, though, since we don't eat out much, and therefore a lot of their large database is irrelevant. I do find a lot of the features of the site overwhelming and unnecessarily fussy, and I have to figure out how to get unsubscribed from all of their e-mailings. I'd take recommendations for more streamlined food tracking sites, something like the RunningAhead.com of food tracking sites. Except that I have now devoted a not insignificant amount of time into entering nutritional info for many of our regular dishes into SparkPeople (I used the recipe analyzer at calorie-count.com). Marcus -- I think you're right, and I can see myself doing it long term. Then, I rather carefully track my checking account balance too, LOL. And, obviously, log my workouts. Indeed, the food diary plays right into my affection for the tracking of data. Thanks all for the encouragement!
                Carl A

Does anyone use FitDay? Would anyone here know how that site compare to others, like the SparkPeople one that Anne mentioned?

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Carl A

And congratulations, Anne. I bet your running has improved, too!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Kimmie

this was awesome to read. I was just sitting here frustrated that I can't seem to drop the 5 pounds that have crept on since November of last year. And now I know that I need to track my food. I've used Spark People before and I can do it again. Congrats!

The Greatest of All Time

Does anyone use FitDay? Would anyone here know how that site compare to others, like the SparkPeople one that Anne mentioned?
                        I use Fitday.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

A Saucy Wench

I use fitday, I cook a lot, so I paid the $20 for the download...does custom foods better .... off to enter my mini binge..

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Well, I don't track my intake (I probably should). I had lost nearly 25 lbs over last year going form 175 to low 150s and actually even hit 149 and 150 a few times. The end of Jan I was still around 152-153, but then hurt my achilles and couldn't run for awhile. It didn't stop me from other exercises like my exercise bike and stuff, but my mind got lazy (proably a bit of depression) and did just about nothing up to afew weeks ago except eat and pertake of the spirits. The result is that I weighted in at 158-159. Restarted my running program a few weeks ago and am back down to 155-156, but have noticed that my good eating habits still isn't where it needs to be. Did cut down on my spirits, only one Barcardi and coke last night only wine the night before. So I'll see if I get back down as my mileage and intensity icreases and hopefully I can get back to eating more regularly and loose a few more lbs and if not,I'll persue the diary idea.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

I use " The daily Plate" which has a great activity log to offset the calories you consume. www.thedailyplate.com. Anne, I add my congratulations with everyone else. As a rather tall woman myself, every " chart" out there has me being in my ideal weight range for my height. Here is the problem with that: I have a very small build/frame. They can't see the weight I am carrying in my mid-section. Every glass of wine/beer and every meal ever eaten has crept back on my body after turning 40. I am a textbook case of how tough it is to spot reduce your weight. You CAN'T. You just have to do LOTS of cardio. Since I am still overcoming some running injuries, and slowly returning to running, ( Not slow enough though, according to my shins) I am really mixing it up with the cardio/resistance training and watching even more closely what I eat. This approach has led to a 10 pound loss since last fall, with at least a 7-10 more to go. Count yours as another " Inspiring" story. Just what I needed today... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

I use fitday and dietfacts. I have for the past 2.3 yrs I log every bite. My wife tells me I am to strict about this. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."