First Half Marathon -- Advice? (Read 917 times)

Let me preface this by saying I DEFINITELY consider myself a beginner...and a rambler, hence the length of this post. I'm running the Rock and Roll Half in Virginia Beach in September, and I started a training plan in the middle of May. I found it somewhere online and modified it (and am continuing to modify it as I go). At first I was running five times a week, but now that my long and semi-long runs are getting longer, I've dropped it to four times a week in fear of injury. I do crosstrain on two of the other days and take one rest day where I do nothing. My training schedule looks like this: Sun - Easy run (4 or 5 miles) Mon - Speedwork (3 miles) -- I use the term "speed" loosely Tues - Semi-long run Wed - crosstrain Thurs - rest Fri - Long run Sat - crosstrain The long run is up to 11 miles for this week, and the semi-long is 8. I'm raising each of those one mile a week. I've been ok with it so far, though my 10-mile run on Friday kind of wiped me out a bit. I was still able to do the elliptical for an hour today, though, so I must be ok, right? My goal for the 1/2 is just to run the whole thing, only walking at the water stops. I don't care what my time is, because I'll always be slow and that's ok with me. For me, it's about finishing. Here's my question: am I running too much? too little? Remember that a year ago, I couldn't run two feet, and I weighed 102 pounds MORE than I do right now. My body has completely changed. I've only run one 10k and one 5k (I did another 5k but I was sick and walked most of it, so it doesn't really count). I astonished myself when I ran the whole 10k because I've never done anything like that before (even though I did train for it), but a 1/2 is quite a bit longer! Any advice, encouragement, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    db7

Looks like you are doing great! Keep working hard and having fun. Don't push so hard that you get hurt but keep up the good work. Make sure you get enough rest and feel good before your run. Good luck. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Imminent Catastrophe

Congratulations on your progress, it looks like you are ahead of the curve, you should do great! Keep us informed.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I agree with DB and Perfesser. You are doing great! Keep up the good work and you will do fantastic at your half.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

smc3720

I was where you were in May, when I ran my first half marathon. Two years ago, I was 50 pounds heavier and cound not run 10 minutes. I was able to break two hours, which was my goal, and my program was similiar to yours, so just keep it up. Be carefull of injuries, and perhaps running too hard in the race, I did end up with a bad blister on my foot. I am know working on getting ready for a full marathon, my goal, just to finish this time.

Member Since 2008

First off let me commend you for all of the hard work. Looking at your running log, it seems you are on the right track. I would not exceed 30 miles per week, nor go below 23 or 24 for miles. Drop the speed day and add 1 or two easy miles. At the speed you are currently at, the extra couple of miles will benefit you more in the long run. Finally, take it easey the week before your race, and enjoy! Good Job!
                Drop the speed day and add 1 or two easy miles. At the speed you are currently at, the extra couple of miles will benefit you more in the long run.
                I think I believed I should have a speed day to increase my speed in general, not just for training for the 1/2. I'm ok with being slow, but I don't want to be this slow forever! Should I forget about it, then, while I'm getting ready for the half? And when you say add one or two easy miles, do you mean to add them instead of the 3 miles I do on the speed day? Or add them to the 3 and make that whole run easy? Thanks for all the comments, by the way, everyone!

Member Since 2008

What I meant was change the 3 mile speed day to a 4 or 5 mile easy day. I would not worry about speed at this point. It will eventually come in time. once you have a good running base built (and that comes through distance) you can add tempo runs to test yourself. This is your first race and you are just concerned with finishing the race, then speed is not a concern. If you had a time goal in mind, then it might me another story. Your first race should not be about time, it is just a good way to check where your at and you can build from there.
                    Lots of good advice, of course, so I'll just say ENJOY IT! and HAVE FUN! Smile
                    2009: BQ?
                      oh, and go out to lunch afterward and wear your medal and show it off Big grin
                      2009: BQ?

Was it all a dream?

I would suggest rearranging your week so that you have an easy day (or cross training day) in between your speed work and medium long days. What do you do for speed work? I would suggest a tempo run rather than intervals since you are preparing for a half.
                          I would suggest rearranging your week so that you have an easy day (or cross training day) in between your speed work and medium long days. What do you do for speed work? I would suggest a tempo run rather than intervals since you are preparing for a half.
                          Thanks for the advice. I rearranged my schedule so that I'm just doing some crosstraining before the medium long run on Wednesday now. I'm also planning to try a tempo run tomorrow instead of intervals, but I'm not entirely sure how it works. I've been googling and asking my husband but I'm still not 100% clear. I'll figure it out.
                          rudidu

Well enjoy it Smile when I ran my first half mara....i had run a 10km the week before and set a PR...Big grin just feel confident and you;; be fine. the first 7km (first 1/3 of the race) is horrible though lol - your mind is like dude are you mad.... Big grin