2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Katia  - wow, that's just awful.  I never even think about my safety here other than relative to aggressive dogs and the slim chance of mountain lions.

Sam - wimp.

Ace - I guess that's good!  Hopefully the PT will give you good exercises for balancing everything and getting rid of the dysfunction.

fb - I should probably find my new HRmax, I'm sure it's quite a bit lower than it used to be.  The problem I have is that every time I run hard my HRM cadence locks. But...I might run a 5k on Saturday morning.  MIGHT.

Today I ran in not just shorts but for the first time this year in a tank top. And overheated.  It was around 60 when I ran and sunny, but it's just starting to drizzle now, though, which means snow in the mountains, and tomorrow we're going skiing.

pepperjack

pie man

It's Thursday and I have logged 0 running miles so far. Damn snow.

I'm feeling laaaaaazy but I did manage  2 so far (on Monday before the weather).

Cherry blossom in 16 days, though.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Katia ~ Just awful. I don't know what the right answer is, but have heard concerns expressed about getting a false sense of security when carrying mace/ps, so figured I should mention. Stay safe!

Sam ~ No TM?

I could've run outside Wed, although it would have been very slushy, slippery, slow, etc. Used guest pass at wife's gym and used declne feature on TM for 50 min progression downhill; man my quads are hurtin!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I may be developing a sickness. I'm at just over a month out from my goal half for the spring and I find myself looking for an ultra to run afterwards.  So far I'm trying to decide between the Mustang Run (current favorite) and the Sizzlin' Sasquatch. Both are 50k's - and the only ultras I can find in OK until fall.

Max - What's the correct procedure from transitioning from HM training to 50k??

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Max - What's the correct procedure from transitioning from HM training to 50k??

Ahahahahahahaha.

(ha!)

Ilana - I ran in shorts also today.  My weather was a bit colder though (34).  My half-marathon is supposed to be about 30 degrees, and I'm debating shorts/tights for it.

PJ - can't imagine why the laziness.  BTW, did you see they changed the CB course?  They eliminated the Memorial Bridge part, which I think makes the course even faster.

Dad - I ran outside, but before it was too heavy.  Lotsa salted sidewalks in my area.

Katia - I'd be freaked out by that also.   I think I've already stated my views on pepper spray, which match Brewing's (and there are definitely assaults on the trails I run, so I understand your fear).  But we all need to make our own decisions.

7 miles this morning, including one up tempo at 6:22.  Off to Philly tomorrow AM.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

oregonrw

Ilana: If you run the 5k  -- good luck.  And hope you have good snow for skiing.

Keen: I vote for the Sasquach ultra, just because I like the name better.

Dad: I've never seen a treadmill that has a decline function - mine is not that fancy.  Downhill running hurts.

Darkwave: Good luck in Philadelphia.  For 30 degrees I would almost always go with tights, but I'm a wimp.

5 miles this morning. It's gotten colder here again, and my watch (a Garmin 235) has been randomly shutting down on runs when the temperature is below about 35, like today. Usually it will turn off on an autolap signal about 30 minutes in -- which it did today. It's happened about 3-4 times this winter (fortunately it hasn't been too cold this year), so I contacted Garmin today to ask about it -- and apparently it's a known bug. It's somehow tied to the alert on the autolap and the temperature. So they're releasing an update at some point (though they couldn't tell me when) to fix it -- but the fix is that the watch will automatically disable the autolap alert if it senses the temperature is low enough to cause it shut down.  That doesn't seem like much of a fix to me.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

The snow was a bust so I ran today instead of skiing. It drizzled a little and then cleared up here, and the resort mountain cams showed rain at the base and not enough new snow at the top.  Sucky year for skiing.

I'm not going to run the 5k either as it turned out to conflict with other things.

Oregon - that's crazy, and I agree, not a solution.

DWave - hmm, 30 for you is probably colder than 30 for me.  I have run a couple of halfs (and CIM) in ~30F in shorts but that's desert sunny 30F which is different.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oregon: I’m in Hawaii at the host for the Lavaman triathlon.

keen: I Will look into it more. It looks very similar to the marathon plan wit two quality workouts spread through it but less descriptive. The “repeats of two miles + 4x400” instructions leave me wondering how many two mile repeats but I’d have to read the instructions. As for 50k training, run a lot more. Push 70 miles per week and try to run hills if your course has hills and it’s possible. Also I would say add walking into your running and figure out what works for you food wise. Slow your slow pace to 12 minutes miles. I also haven’t ever successfully trained for one so there is that.

Oh, humidity sucks. I thought I’d try a tempo run. Turned into 2x 15 minutes with .50 miles recovery turned into “just get back home, finish 10, and keep the heart rate down” because I was technically doing threshold effort without threshold pace.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

runethechamp

Katia - That sounds really scary so I hope you figure out a way around it all.

Ace - Good to see you're running again!

Rain, snow, etc: Well, I think winter just left for the race on Sunday. Forecast is mostly sunny but with a race start at 7 am, which is basically at sunrise, and forecasted temperatures of 44 at the start and 50 4 hours later I think it should be good.

Very light week for me before my race on Sunday. One workout, 4x1000 cruise intervals as prescribed by Mr. Daniels, which were ok but not great. Did the workout right after a (short) flight in warm weather so I'm not too concerned. The race is next for me.

Live tracking is not too advanced, with times only recorded at 3 checkpoints before the finish line, at 6.5, 12.5, and 18.1 miles. I'm bib 843: https://results.rmraces.live/Corrigan-Sports-Enterprises/events/2018/Oakland-Running-Festival-2018/track

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                    Tue 3.0 9:49 0:29 Evening Run 120 (63%) strava
                    Wed 6.3 8:08 0:51 Jack Daniels style taper - 4x1000 cruise intervals 147 (77%) strava
                    Fri 3.0 10:06 0:30 Oakland Marathon Next! 119 (62%) strava
                      12.3 9:02 1:51      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

fb-guy

Rune -- tomorrow. No? Good luck!!!

Katia -- blah.

Ace -- really glad there's nothing serious; hope you come out of this stronger and better aligned (and faster) than before.

Sam -- wimp.

Ilana -- wimp. Chuckle.

Oregon. Garmin software quality. hahahahaha. Garmin promising updates. hahahahahaha.

Pesto -- two weeks tomorrow. Good lord.

DW, Elizaeth, Runner Jones, Jaime -- three weeks tomorrow. Have fun with the tapir.

DW -- you can add me for April 8th in Rome. For goal -- I'm taking the McB strategy. Don't die. Basically I feel like crap; could barely run four miles yesterday. Blah.

We're in Bordeaux working our way home by train, and their marathon is today. yay! It's a night run and it's cold and drizzle. Sh!tty for vacation, but probably good for running. I thought of signing up, but the course isn't certified for Boston. It's an RNR/competitor event, which also makes me nervous. The worst event I've been involved with was Las Vegas RNR marathon; a total disaster. But the course map is really funny. The aid station logos look like bar and restaurants.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

pepperjack

pie man

I had insomnia one night and signed up for the Peachtree lottery (not drunk, in case you were wondering).  So I guess I'm doing that one.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Tune: good luck. Glad the weather is going to cooperat for you. I had a lady ask me if she would see me this weekend when I did a Monday run in Oakland.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

runethechamp

Fb, Brew - Thanks! Yes, race is tomorrow (Sunday).

PJ - I've heard about drunk online shopping before but not drunk race signup 

Dad, Ilana - Thanks for the pace advice again! I feel like I need to give 3:25 a shot, so I will. We'll know tomorrow about this time if it was too fast or not.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

oregonrw

Rune: good luck tomorrow!

FB: I love that course map -- the water stops are designated by martini glasses. That's a fun marathon!

Pepperjack:  Peachtree! That's a hot race.

Brewing: enjoy Hawaii.

I ran 11 this morning, probably faster than I should have but it felt good. I was running on a path near Nike and Shalane Flanagan and Amy Cragg (and some of the other Bowerman women) went flying by me. It can be both kind of interesting and kind of intimidating to run around here sometimes.  My kids spring break is this week and we are headed up to Orcas Island for a few days -- it won't be warm but I'm looking forward to getting away for a bit. There should be some good trail running too.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rune - Good luck tomorrow!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.