Foam Rolling 1st time race week (Read 885 times)

juniordo1

I am planning to run a half marathon this coming Saturday, three weeks after my first half marathon. I have had a tight right calf and hamstring since my first race and all the stretching in the world hasn't improved the tightness. I have no doubts that I can still run 13.1 miles on it, but I was hoping to run this race a bit more aggressively and the tightness may limit that effort.

My question is this: Is it too close to the race to try something new like foam rolling?

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Sandi Sue

It's never to late to take to the foam roller.  It especially works well on those painful trigger spots.  Roll to your heart's content in my opinion.  I do it all the time and it's a life saver.  Smile

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

You'll be fine, it can only help. Even if it makes you a little sore, I still wouldn't worry.

juniordo1

Thanks Sandi Sue and Tyler S!

I went out and bought a roller last night. I figured that the hamstring and calf weren't going to magically improve without trying something new, even during a race week.

My thoughts on the foam roller:

OUCH!!!!! I think the foam rollers could be used as a torture device!

I thought I only had tightness in one leg but my other leg told me different. Rolling the IT bands? Forget about it.

I have a little soreness in my calves this morning bu they have that "good sore" feeling to them and they are much looser today. My hamstring is still tight and I will revisit that with the roller after work today.

I will continue to monitor soreness/tight muscles and hopefully get to the line Saturday morning ready to attack the course.

Ostrich runner

Eventually that stuff gets rolled out. If the IT bands hurt, hammer them.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

juniordo1

beef,

I will definitely work on the IT bands. I had never had any issues with them and definitely did not enjoy the discomfort I experienced when I attempted to roll them out. I got one pass on each side and chickened out on additional passes.

Ostrich runner

If you don't have problems with them, ignore my advice--solutions in search of problems usually end up problems themselves.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

juniordo1

I will not likely re-visit the IT bands until after I race this week. Had I not foam rolled I would never have guessed the tension in the these areas. I agree trying somethin just to try it isn't always the best idea.  Maybe others can chime in as to whether or not they think the tightness/discomfort when rolling the IT bands signal an injury waiting to happen.

Prince of Fatness

I like the foam roller for the calves but for the hamstrings a tennis ball seems to work better.

Semi-retired.