Frequency vs Distance (Read 2269 times)

Now I know this will have multiple answers and is probably ultimately opinion based, but I shall ask nonetheless. As my running is starting to increase, I was thinking to myself as I was updating my spreadsheet (training plan) and as I was running yesterday what would be more beneficial.

As it currently stands my plan works on 4 times a week running, and keeps increasing and eventually it goes up to 5 times (in about 15 weeks!). But what I wondered is if I should be increasing to 5 or 6 times a week now with shorter runs (except for my once a week long run), and then start the increase from there? I'd be working to the same overall weekly distance whichever way, but is it beneficial to have more frequent runs or longer runs?

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

Slo

Why are you running ?  What are your goals ?

I love to run, I like to be competitive. I run almost everyday. I'd recommend that to everybody but not everybody runs for the same reasons I do.

There should be no "vs" between Frequency and Distance.

MTA:  I had to post and leave before I could finish....

I see DB chimed in with pretty much the same thing I was thinking. I'd go right to 5 days a week. I think you could easily handle 25 to 30 mpw right now.  From there you can start adding longer runs or an additional day.

DoppleBock

When I started - I started off the bat with 6 days a week and then slowly built the mileage of both the long run and other runs.

I did 1 run a week faster - the rest were fairly comfortably paced

Eventually I did 2 runs a week faster

I think at your mileage - I would run at least 5 times a week and slowly figure out how to get your mileage to 25-30 miles per week (MPW) before I overthink it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why are you running ?  What are your goals ?

I love to run, I like to be competitive. I run almost everyday. I'd recommend that to everybody but not everybody runs for the same reasons I do.

There should be no "vs" between Frequency and Distance.

Well, I run because I enjoy it. But I will be running in the 2012 London Marathon, so that's a goal. So distance primarily, but speed also, because I don't want to still be running after they've all cleared up and gone home for the day Wink

It's not so much a vs, as the overall distance will be the same. It perhaps should be more frequent shorter runs vs less frequent longer runs

DoppleBock

It's not so much a vs, as the overall distance will be the same. It perhaps should be more frequent shorter runs vs less frequent longer runs

So you are set that you will run a certain distance each week and just asking if you should run more shorter runs or less longer runs?

I stick to my original answer - Until you get up to 25-30 MPW - I think you are overthinking it. 

So you are set that you will run a certain distance each week and just asking if you should run more shorter runs or less longer runs?

Yeah, pretty much.

I stick to my original answer - Until you get up to 25-30 MPW - I think you are overthinking it. 

Haha, I overthink a lot! I have much time to think whilst running! Well, I'll be in the range in about a month, so not far off. So humour me Wink ( Don't make me re-ask in a month Sad )

I think you are overthinking it. 

+20.  In 15-week time, you'll have the answer yourself, not any of us right now.  Who knows?  In 10-week time, you may get so fit that you might be running twice as many kilometers or twice as fast...would you still stay at 25MPW?  If so, why?  People usually, and they should, start to run more, both frequency AND total volume, because they get to the point where the current training is not enough and they want to do more--not because they follow some bogus formula like "10% RULE" or ANY rule for that matter.  Least of all, you shouldn't try to follow the advice of someone on the internet who had never met you and have NO idea what kind of a person you are.

xor

Yes, that above is goodness.

And never, ever, listen to advice from a dude in pink.

Except for when I say the post above mine is goodness.

DoppleBock

I would set 2 workout days a week - These are the important days

1)  Long run - Keep inching up the mileage

2)  Speed workout

The speed workout should be of moderate distance warmup for a minimum of 20 minutes of easy running before the speed workout.

The rest just fills in however works best for you

The day before these 2 key days is the day to either run easy and shorter or take off

Assuming your long run is on the weekend - Eventually you will add a medium long run during the week

If you are following a plan - I believe you need to do close to the distance of each run in your plan - Running more days a week would add more miles or running to your week.  At this point if you do not want to run more miles ( I think this is reasonable), then as long as you are doing your long run - I really do not think there is much an advantage to either approach.  You need to build your overall aerobic conditioning.  Once you are running the 25-30 MPW then I think running further on less days if I had to make a choice. 

Once up to 25-30+ I would have you run 5 days a week with the day before your long run and your speed workout as a day off - you could take a nice brisk 30-45 minute walk.  Eventually if you want to run 6 or 7 days a week these days can become really easy paced shorter runs.  But 5 days a week is plenty to achieve your marathon goal.

I think you should learn the prupose of each kind of run and the different systems in the body you are trying to stress and improve.  Pfitzingers - Advanced marathoning - Don't let the title fool you - I think anyone is better off understanding the whys.  Although this book is the easy to read version of Jack Daniels - The running Formula - Jack reads more technical.  Both will teach you about the same things.

DoppleBock

PS - Nobby is more knowledgeable in running than 99% of the people posting on this forum - It may be 100% but I want to help him keep his humility.

+20.  In 15-week time, you'll have the answer yourself, not any of us right now.  Who knows?  In 10-week time, you may get so fit that you might be running twice as many kilometers or twice as fast...would you still stay at 25MPW?  If so, why?  People usually, and they should, start to run more, both frequency AND total volume, because they get to the point where the current training is not enough and they want to do more--not because they follow some bogus formula like "10% RULE" or ANY rule for that matter.  Least of all, you shouldn't try to follow the advice of someone on the internet who had never met you and have NO idea what kind of a person you are.

Yes, that above is goodness.

And never, ever, listen to advice from a dude in pink.

Except for when I say the post above mine is goodness.

It's ok, I was taught from an early age, this important rule: "Never trust someone in pink!" Anyway, I'm not saying I'm going to follow what people are telling me 100%, this is why I stated in my first post that it is most likely opinion based. That said, there are some experienced runners on here (certainly more experienced than me), who I wanted some opinions from, to then make a slightly more informed decision on to where I'm going. I don't see why I can't start thinking about it now when I'm running around 20mpw. What difference is an extra 5mpw going to make to my running knowledge? Probably very little! Anyway, thanks for the helpful(?) advice. And thanks Dopple Bock! You made the right assumption, long run on a weekend. Currently I have a day off before intervals/speed workout and before the long one, but I have this extra day! I think I will fill it with some running. My 2 other days off, I think I might shove in a little cross-training to make me a bit more rounded (and burn a few extra calories so I can eat a little bit more!). I'll take a look at pfitzingers as well Smile

now when I'm running around 20mpw. What difference is an extra 5mpw going to make to my running knowledge? Probably very little! Anyway, thanks for the helpful(?) advice. 

Your log suggests otherwise. More like 12 or so mpw. Not calling you out, but helps to be honest with ourselves about what we're currently doing. In my humble opinion, one isn't a X mpw runner until they've averaged that for at least a few months. I think once you become a 20 mpw runner you'll see the difference it makes to your running experience.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Your log suggests otherwise. More like 12 or so mpw. Not calling you out, but helps to be honest with ourselves about what we're currently doing. In my humble opinion, one isn't a X mpw runner until they've averaged that for at least a few months. I think once you become a 20 mpw runner you'll see the difference it makes to your running experience.

Last week I clocked up 26km which is what? 16.5 mi? This week I will clock up 30-32km which will be about 19-20 mi? But I'll never average that for a few months as I'll keep climbing. But based on this, last year I was a 20 mpw runner then as I averaged that for a few months until I couldn't run any more. But ok, I'll keep working alone, see where I get. I'll come back in August and September and will probably have the same question with the same responses from the same people then :s

Anyway, I've had some helpful responses, so thanks Smile

Slo

Yep,

Big enough difference between 12 mpw and 20 mpw.

Never underestimate how all those miles add up. It all counts. Even just 5 mpw more.

What difference is an extra 5mpw going to make to my running knowledge? Probably very little!  

Actually it's a hell of a lot more than "little".  If your body is not ready for it, it will tell you very quickly and the difference can be comfortable improvement vs. injury.  In my opinion, to even think that there is or isn't a difference with 5 extra miles a week is thinking too much.  When your body is ready to go for that extra 5-mile, it'll tell you.  If you ignore it and go for that extra 5-mile or not go, then it'll tell you too.  Even more honest than numbers on training log, YOUR BODY WILL BE VERY HONEST TO YOU and the difference CAN be devastating.  You may diligently increase your weekly mileage by "10% a week" and you may still get injured.  Who are you gonna sue?  "But I followed this golden rule..."  You can whine as much as you want but the fact remains that you weren't ready for that 10%.  So why even worry 15 weeks before your body gets whether or not ready fot that increase?  It's USELESS.  It's only as good for wasting your time and stimulate your imagination--but it ain't do you ANY good in terms of training.