PB2 (Read 176 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I've recently discovered "PB2."  It tastes like real peanut butter in the same way that the stuff in a Reese's Cup tastes like peanut butter: not really, but pretty good in its own right.  And of course, not as much protein and healthy fat as the real stuff.

But, it helps me to resist eating as much peanut butter as I'd like to every day, which is about 1/2 to a full jar.  Since I like it, though, I figure there's something terribly wrong with eating it.  So lay it on me...besides the added salt and sugar listed in the ingredients, why am I supposed to avoid PB2?

(and by the way, I do still have a serving or so of real peanut butter almost every day)

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Slo

What is wrong with real peanut butter?

I have been a lifelong lover of peanut butter.

Recently switched to the real "real peanut butter".

The only ingredient in my new peanut butter is peanuts.

Good stuff.

Love the switcheroo.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Isn't PB2 kind of the Snackwells of the nut butter world? A substance manufactured for human ingestion, rather than a food item?

runlikeagirI

Not at all.

Ingredients:

Roasted peanuts, sugar, salt.       (the chocolate version also contains cocoa powder)

Isn't PB2 kind of the Snackwells of the nut butter world? A substance manufactured for human ingestion, rather than a food item?

I haven't used it in a few months but I like just putting a spoon or two in my smoothie at times for a lilttle something different.

northernman

Fight The Future

You know what's really good? Almond butter. And cashew butter. You can get them from Skippy now. lather some onto a nice fresh sourdough roll. Maybe have a couple or more.

Nothing like the real stuff! I remember many years ago the GNC stores hada  peanut grinder and my grandama would always have the real stuff freshly ground.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

PB should be peanuts and salt.

Not at all.

Roasted peanuts, sugar, salt.       (the chocolate version also contains cocoa powder)

I haven't used it in a few months but I like just putting a spoon or two in my smoothie at times for a lilttle something different.

Is that what the ingredient list says? That seems a little disingenuous. I mean, I'm sure it's not as bad as I suggested above and probably tastes fine, I honestly don't even have a real opinion one way or the other - but "roasted peanuts that have been processed to remove all the fat [and thus presumably most of the nutritional value]" would be more accurate, right? Sorry, I'm sure I sound like a snarky food snob, but I'm really not. It just doesn't sound like truth in labelling!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Nothing at all...in moderation.  But for a guy trying to keep at his racing weight, having as much as I want every day would be bad.  So, at some point I'll usually have a serving of real PB (which I grind at the store) and use the PB2 for the rest of the cravings.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

The only things that make it worse than real natural peanut butter would be the things that you listed as "besides the..."

Otherwise, it looks like a nice thing to mix into a recovery shake compared to real peanut butter, which seems to get stuck to the sides of the blender and is more of a pain to wash. Looks like it's no good for PB&J sandwiches though since it's in powder form. Good for drink mixes, bad for spreading. Eat up!

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

I haven't bought any PB2 for a while, but it tastes especially good when blended in a smoothie with plain yogurt and banana.  Yum!  By itself, it's a bit weird tasting.

The only things that make it worse than real natural peanut butter would be the things that you listed as "besides the..."

Otherwise, it looks like a nice thing to mix into a recovery shake compared to real peanut butter, which seems to get stuck to the sides of the blender and is more of a pain to wash. Looks like it's no good for PB&J sandwiches though since it's in powder form. Good for drink mixes, bad for spreading. Eat up!

running metalhead

PB should be peanuts and salt.

The brand I buy has chunks and maltodextrine, love it, maltodextrine is just ideal for pre and postrun. I also get the "pure" stuff, with and without chunks.

In Dutch we call it Pindakaas literally "Peanut Cheese" and we eat it many times with Sambal (the red Chili paste). Lekker!!

Crap! Who started this thread? See what happens? Now I have no choice but to assault the kitchen!!!!

Aanvalluuuuhhh!!!!!

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

runlikeagirI

My understanding is that the roasted peanuts are pressed/squeezed to remove the oil, and it's removing the oil that removes most of the fat.  All I'm saying is that it's a hell of a lot less processed than Jif, Skippy, etc.

Is that what the ingredient list says? That seems a little disingenuous. I mean, I'm sure it's not as bad as I suggested above and probably tastes fine, I honestly don't even have a real opinion one way or the other - but "roasted peanuts that have been processed to remove all the fat [and thus presumably most of the nutritional value]" would be more accurate, right? Sorry, I'm sure I sound like a snarky food snob, but I'm really not. It just doesn't sound like truth in labelling!

arca

Peanut cheese! Sounds terrible.

The brand I buy has chunks and maltodextrine, love it, maltodextrine is just ideal for pre and postrun. I also get the "pure" stuff, with and without chunks.

In Dutch we call it Pindakaas literally "Peanut Cheese" and we eat it many times with Sambal (the red Chili paste). Lekker!!

Crap! Who started this thread? See what happens? Now I have no choice but to assault the kitchen!!!!

Aanvalluuuuhhh!!!!!