Puerto Rico (Read 607 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where should I stay when visiting Puerto Rico next month? DW wants to be on the beach.
      I was there about 2 years ago and stayed at the Ritz in San Juan for 2 nights. It was nice, of course. It was the end of our trip, and we just wanted to hang out at the pool and the spa. A huge iguana hung out with us at the pool for about half a day. We didn't venture out much in San Juan, so I don't have much to compare to in that area. If you have time to explore, check this out... http://www.biobay.com/cd/webhtml/right.htm It was AWESOME! We spent most of our time on Vieques while we were in PR. It's not fancy, but we had a good time renting a Jeep and checking the place out. The Bio Bay was worth all the hassle to get there (have to ride the ferry or take small plane- we did the plane). We stayed here, www.innonthebluehorizon.com and it was very nice. This doesn't really address the request for the beach, but it's my 2 cents... Big grin Have fun! Modified to fix the links...
        I went in 2000. Stayed with some friends in a loft on top of their houses with no walls, just a roof. I wouldn't recommend this one - especially with El Yunque 2 miles from the house we were at.
          We stayed at the El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa a few years ago. Incredible, but not cheap. A bit of a hike from the airport.

Imminent Catastrophe

Stayed at the Caribe Hilton a few times. It's pretty nice, and walking distance to the Old Town and Castillo del Morro. If you like Pina Colada, it was invented there (the hotel, not the castle).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

You can stay with my uncle if you want. He runs a bank in Arecibo. Most likely, you will stay in San Juan or very close to San Juan. The Caribe Hilton is ok.... I haven't been there in a few years, though, and it was getting kinda shopworn. Hopefully it has been redone. I've also stayed at a place called the Normandie. Old art deco. Looks really cool from the outside. I can't recommend it though. Dirty for the price. El Morro and San Cristobal are fun to look through. The Puerto Rican frogs will drive you nuts. Coqui! The little bastards have made their way to Hawai'i. Grrr. No, I didn't take them. Side note: The Caribes were the bamf bully tribe in that part of the Caribbean (hence the name). The other group on Puerto Rico were the Taino. The Caribe kicked their ass. Way way back, I'm part Taino. Figures.

#artbydmcbride

Stay until March 1st and you can run this: http://www.worldbest10k.com/new/

Runners run

Very nice place in Dorado (north shore ) I think it was the Hayat.Breath taking surf ! Big money ,but wife scored on expidea or some such. We used the Hilton in San Juan for a day layover off a cruiseship nice private beach ,close to downtown .
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Going back.

Where should I run?

Imminent Catastrophe

Going back.

Where should I run?

Well, duh, that depends on where you stay. I've run from the Caribe Hilton to Castle Morro. It's nice, about 5 mile RT. RIght next to the Hilton is Parque Louis Munoz Marin, it's about a .9 mile loop.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Staying at the Caribe Hilton Smile

xor

(dumbass "didn't read the thread first " response deleted)

Jeepers crap.   this is an ancient thread.

My parents LOVE LOVE LOVE the Caribe Hilton.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Going back.

Where should I run?

Away from the Caribes, apparently.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Away. Then back.

gusgordon

Going back.

Where should I run?

Hotel TM.   I can't deal with the heat & humidity there, so that's where I run.  It overlooks the beach in Isla Verde, at least.

There is a park somewhere b/t the Caribe Hilton & Viejo San Juan.  I see people running around it.  But I've been told to avoid that area at night.