Soreness in shins and thighs... Tips while running? (Read 97 times)

Lately I've noticed soreness in my shins (and more recently my thighs) about midway through a run. One can make the logical connection to shin splints as far as the former is concerned. I haven't let it bother me too much because I can usually push through and it goes away after a few minutes or so. I've tried adjusting my stance, making a conscious effort to land lighter on my feet. This usually helps. I've also tried to incorporate more arm movement to give myself a little more momentum and take some of the work off my legs. Still, are there any techniques to use while running to reduce muscle soreness?

5K: 33:21 (2013)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How old are your shoes? Sometimes replacing the footwear cures those problems. Do you know what sort of mileage you have on them?

Also if you can vary your running surface, it will help.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I bought my shoes in August. If this helps, I notice it gets worse going downhill. I also have low arches. I've read up on pronation, but can't afford a new pair of shoes right now. It's not a problem in everyday activity, so I never made the connection. Now that I think about it, that is probably a contributing factor?

Will definitely try to vary the running surface where I can, though.

When did this start? Looks like you ran a bit more than usual the last couple of weeks; might that be a factor?

MTA: ...and you've been runnig a bit faster than usual as well...

I began noticing it just this past week, specifically last Saturday. I have been doing longer runs in preparation for a 5K (my first race).

Hmmm. Is your log accurate - did you just start running in July? Or were you running before and just started logging here in July? Either way, it looks like you might have a case of too much too soon (tmts). Your log says you ran 115 km in 2013 and 79 of those in the last 30 days. And the last week or so has been at a faster pace.

Running more is a good thing, but running more miles faster is usually not such a good thing. I think your body just needs more time to adjust to the new training regimen. The standard treatment for tmts is: 1. Slow down, and 2. Consider staying at one mileage level for 2-3 weeks, then increase (or take a cutback week if you feel tired, *then* increase.

Have you looked into stretches for shin splints?

if you're worried about pronation/flat arches, there are  strengthening exercises you can do to make your feet and ankles stronger. Google or search this site and you'll likely find suggestions. The exercises are easy - like flexing/curling your toes, picking stuff up with your toes, doing calf raises on a stair - and they really do help.

Tl;dr...I'm not an expert but I play one on the internet! Good luck!

MTA: the above is a lie. I am a total expert in tmts, having done it myself on a regular basis

very difficult to add mileage & intensity at same time especially  on very low weekly mileage.   more experienced runners can get away with it but even they need to be very careful.  dangerous for a newer less experienced runner.  you noticed the pain/discomfort last Saturday & then a few days later you went out & did some intervals.    not only did you do intervals (even short 1 minutes)  it was  the longest distance (3.9 miles) you have done at this point!    not a bad idea to throw in some short little sprints now & then but with your mileage you should do only a few & on a shorter mileage day.   running on softer surfaces is a good suggestion as well.  anytime you increase stress levels by either adding mileage, running more often,  running faster, etc our bodies go through adaptation periods & there will be normal aches/pains.  you did too much too soon.   maybe 1 or 2 days a week you can slowly add abit more distance/duration but dont do intervals on those days!    I know you want to do well on your 1st race but whatever you do it will be a PR & gives you a benchmark time for the future.  more important to run injury free & enjoy it or you will add end quitting.  be patient.  you will get faster just by continuing to run consistently & more efficiently.  when is your 5k?

Hmmm. Is your log accurate - did you just start running in July? Or were you running before and just started logging here in July? Either way, it looks like you might have a case of too much too soon (tmts). Your log says you ran 115 km in 2013 and 79 of those in the last 30 days. And the last week or so has been at a faster pace.

Running more is a good thing, but running more miles faster is usually not such a good thing. I think your body just needs more time to adjust to the new training regimen. The standard treatment for tmts is: 1. Slow down, and 2. Consider staying at one mileage level for 2-3 weeks, then increase (or take a cutback week if you feel tired, *then* increase.

Have you looked into stretches for shin splints?

if you're worried about pronation/flat arches, there are  strengthening exercises you can do to make your feet and ankles stronger. Google or search this site and you'll likely find suggestions. The exercises are easy - like flexing/curling your toes, picking stuff up with your toes, doing calf raises on a stair - and they really do help.

Tl;dr...I'm not an expert but I play one on the internet! Good luck!

MTA: the above is a lie. I am a total expert in tmts, having done it myself on a regular basis

I've always been a fairly active person, but I began seriously running in July. This is all good information to know, since I was never trained on how to run properly and prevent injury in school.

I didn't know there were stretches specifically for shin splints. I always figured the shins were out of reach... I will research that as well as strength exercises for feet and ankles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

very difficult to add mileage & intensity at same time especially  on very low weekly mileage.   more experienced runners can get away with it but even they need to be very careful.  dangerous for a newer less experienced runner.  you noticed the pain/discomfort last Saturday & then a few days later you went out & did some intervals.    not only did you do intervals (even short 1 minutes)  it was  the longest distance (3.9 miles) you have done at this point!    not a bad idea to throw in some short little sprints now & then but with your mileage you should do only a few & on a shorter mileage day.   running on softer surfaces is a good suggestion as well.  anytime you increase stress levels by either adding mileage, running more often,  running faster, etc our bodies go through adaptation periods & there will be normal aches/pains.  you did too much too soon.   maybe 1 or 2 days a week you can slowly add abit more distance/duration but dont do intervals on those days!    I know you want to do well on your 1st race but whatever you do it will be a PR & gives you a benchmark time for the future.  more important to run injury free & enjoy it or you will add end quitting.  be patient.  you will get faster just by continuing to run consistently & more efficiently.  when is your 5k?

I see. I suppose I have to choose whether I want to work on improving distance OR pace but not both. At least not right now. How much distance would you consider appropriate to add on non-interval days? 0.25 miles, 0.5 miles?

The 5k is October 6th. A few weeks out yet.

you can add on either by time (5-10 mns more each week) or by distance (.25 to  .5) each week 1 day/week..  either way.    oct 6th is really only about 3 wks out so  its a dangerous time to add to your running as you are finding out.  its not so much as choosing between mileage vs faster pace. Its possible you can do both, you just need to be smarter about it by adding small amounts of added stress.   On your longest run to date you also added the most intervals to date. not wise to add both on same day.

you really only have 2 weeks of training left & normally the week before your 5k s/b a taper week or recovery type week where you cut back on your running abit & be rested for race day. But  first & foremost you  need to cut back  now to take care of your shins. You have already  had a few runs longer than race distance so you know you will be able to run the 5k  no problem.  

relax, take care of those shins & enjoy your running & have fun at the 5k. After the race you can put together a more long term training plan where you slowly add intensity or stress of some kind over a longer period of time.

Sounds good. Slowly but surely should be my motto. =)

Thank you all for the great advice!

pedaling fool

Sounds like all you gotta do is back off a little, but don't stop being active. Do some cross training. I also do hiking and cycling, but my base for keeping all my muscles/connective tissue/skeletal system strong is weightlifting, because all the other activities cannot work the entire body. Weightlifting can, just don't get in the mindset that because you hike/cycle/run - or whatever - you don't need to w/o the legs with weights. You do need to.

I do try to get is some pilates to strengthen my core and work my muscles on the days I don't run. I know it's not the same as using weight machines, but it's something. I do love biking and hiking, though. Now that it's officially fall and starting to feel like it, doing those two (especially biking because of the impact factor) would be really enjoyable.