I washed them and now they dont fit right! (Read 624 times)

I did a mud race in my running shoes b/c i didnt want to aggrevate my ITBS with older shoes. Obviously, they got caked with mud so I threw them in the washer. They are beautiful! But smaller. My big toe is now rubbing at the front of the shoe and I even losened the laces as far as they can go to allow for some extra room - what gives??!?! I am trying to stretch them back out by wearing them at work tonight, but 12 hrs on my feet in these shoes often gives me arch pain. I can already feel it starting and I've only been at work for 2 hours now. This is not going to be a good night. Will they go back to normal? ANyone else ever had this problem? And no, i didnt put them in the dryer - just cooked them outside for the day.
    xor

Can't help you directly with this pair. My bet is that they will stretch out "a little" but never be what you had. I will say: the washer? Yikes. I take out my inserts, wash mine off with a hose and then I stuff them with newspaper. Sure, they aren't shiny afterwards, but it's good enough. And they don't shrink.

I've washed shoes all my life and never had a shrinking this extreme before. Unless my feet got fat - which is a possibility since they are like big fat steaks on the bottom of my ankles as it is!

I'm a big fan of hosing 'em down, then pulling the insoles out, then putting them on a rack to dry. I may or may not stuff them with newspaper, and I may or may not set up a fan in front of them to help them dry faster. Generally, I just let them sit around 'til they are dry (never more than a day on a rack) since I rotate my shoes so it's a day or two before I get back to them anyway - although with my trail shoes it can often be more than that since I usually am only on trails 1 or 2 times per week these days and I have 3 pairs of trail shoes. (All links can be found here, I'm too tired to link the individual articles tonight: http://news.runtowin.com/2006/08/17/a-list-of-shoe-care-tips.html)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Oh crud! I"m so sorry. This is why I'll wash my "everyday" shoes if they get seriously gross, but I wouldn't dream of washing my beloved Asics except to chip off the worst of it and hand scrub the exterior if I have to. Sorry I can't help, but I do sympathize. Sad
            ~ Fly ~
            Only as much as I dream can I be.
            veggies on the run