still sore two days after 5k. is ok to light jog? (Read 2468 times)

King of Running

It appears to me that you aren't doing enough top end tempo and interval work. At least 10% of your training mileage should be run at a pace close to or even exceeding race pace. You most likely did not cool down or sufficiently stretch out your legs following the 5k effort. Failure to do so most likely inhibited lactic acid removal from your legs and caused the slow recovery. It is most certainly okay to light jog following two days rest after only three miles of running fast. I would prescribe 30 minutes at a pace at least 2min15secs below your 5k pace. By Friday, you should be back up to running your steady runs at 1min30s below your 5k pace. These are slow but conservative and designed to prevent injury. To  prevent this scenario occuring, introduce a weekly interval session (say, 12 x 400m @ 5k pace) or a hill rep session. Indeed, it would be wise to commence a cool down of 1500m after your next five k race, followed by an ice bath. You should then be back into full training less than three days after the race. Good luck with future racing.

Wipe the sweat from your face with the hair of the scalps of the fallen competitors you have slain in your unrelenting quest for a personal best. What? How dare you say this is over the top? I challenge you to a race!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It appears to me that you aren't doing enough top end tempo and interval work. At least 10% of your training mileage should be run at a pace close to or even exceeding race pace. ...

I assume by "race pace" you mean "5K race pace", right? Is this only for people who exclusively race 5Ks?

MTA: I see that your profile says you begin every run including recovery runs with a 5min mile. So, your idea of "recovery" may be unorthodox...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I assume by "race pace" you mean "5K race pace", right? Is this only for people who exclusively race 5Ks?

Yeah, I don't think I agree with Dean.  I've done nothing but slow, easy miles this entire year and I haven't been sore after any race (5K, 10K, HM) since I've done a light jog the night after the race or the next morning.  I also make sure I roll and stretch really good after each race. 

JimR

I see that your profile says you begin every run including recovery runs with a 5min mile.

I wonder why so slow...?....

dennrunner

I wonder why so slow...?....

'cause he can't run sub 4:30, yet. Duh. I'm certain once he can run 4:30 he'll move his first mile down to 4:20.

dallasboycows

yeah, i didn't do a cooldown run or even stretch out that much afterwards.  I had my ride ready to go home.  I've been icing my legs and that has helped some.  I think my muscles just aren't used to the all out effort yet.  I do remember getting this sore in highschool when first doing interval training.  I plan to start doing more interval work but I only have time to run about 2p.m. and it's so damn hot outside in texas.  And I've been recouping from some tendon issues.  They feel 100% now but I don't want to risk it.  Thanks for all the advice.  I won't bug ya'll for a few more days. 

King of Running

Perhaps I should explain my methodology. I run four days a week to school in the afternoon. The trip is 10miles. The first mile must be at five minute mile pace to avoid the pedestrian congested pathways on the way home at 3:25. However, the other nine miles may be at recovery or tempo pace, depending upon the session. In total I do four five minute miles a week - so my speedwork for the week is 10% of total mileage. Sure I could run faster but then I couldnt finish the other nine miles. The above pace is my 3k race pace not a flat out mile. I do my speedwork at race pace. When training for any distance, do your speedwork at that pace. Sorry for the potential confusion inherent in my reply. I

Wipe the sweat from your face with the hair of the scalps of the fallen competitors you have slain in your unrelenting quest for a personal best. What? How dare you say this is over the top? I challenge you to a race!

dallasboycows

I wish i could run a 5 minute mile.  I'm about 30 seconds off that right now.  And I sure couldn't follow it with 6,7,8,9 miles.  Ok so I'm feeling much better and also changed my track workouts.  I had been doing 400's all out with long rest.  Didn't realize it was more beneficial towards reducing my time to run them slower with less rest.  We will see in a few weeks how it affects my times.

Why is it sideways?

Perhaps I should explain my methodology. I run four days a week to school in the afternoon. The trip is 10miles. The first mile must be at five minute mile pace to avoid the pedestrian congested pathways on the way home at 3:25. However, the other nine miles may be at recovery or tempo pace, depending upon the session. In total I do four five minute miles a week - so my speedwork for the week is 10% of total mileage. Sure I could run faster but then I couldnt finish the other nine miles. The above pace is my 3k race pace not a flat out mile. I do my speedwork at race pace. When training for any distance, do your speedwork at that pace. Sorry for the potential confusion inherent in my reply. I

So, you can run a mile at 3k race pace without warming up, 4 times a week? Color me skeptical.

King of Running

Indeed, that is based upon my previous 3000m PB of 9:20 set in March 2010. Indeed, since I am training for a sub 9 minute 3k, this works out at 4:49 pace.

Thus my 5 minute mile is somewhat below target race pace, but at present pb pace, which is quite an old pb given that 3k races are quite uncommon on the road racing calender.

Indeed, I have been training specifically for mountain racing as opposed to short speed races. I have built up to this level of training and for less advanced runners a more moderate approach would be recommended.

Besides, the phrase "color me sceptical" smacks of jealousy. Maybe one could do with harder training and greater motivation themselves.

joescott

Jeff, I see a hand in your avatar but wonder if it's one of those "tests."

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

If this thread doesn't end in a 100-mile, ostrich-inspired race between Jeff and Dean after three days of fasting, I'm going to vomit in disappointment. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Indeed, that is based upon my previous 3000m PB of 9:20 set in March 2010. Indeed, since I am training for a sub 9 minute 3k, this works out at 4:49 pace.

Thus my 5 minute mile is somewhat below target race pace, but at present pb pace, which is quite an old pb given that 3k races are quite uncommon on the road racing calender.

Indeed, I have been training specifically for mountain racing as opposed to short speed races. I have built up to this level of training and for less advanced runners a more moderate approach would be recommended.

Besides, the phrase "color me sceptical" smacks of jealousy. Maybe one could do with harder training and greater motivation themselves.

Dean:

Yeah, anything IS possible when you're 18; but, at the same time, just because you can do it, doesn't necessarily mean it's a smart thing to do either.  Another thing might be about being 18 is that they are not that smart (I'm not saying you are not...yet) and stubborn not to listen to anybody else.  If you chose to be that way, you might turn up on the internet message board like this one 30 years from now, trying to convince some youngsters to warm-up adequately before they blast out the door so they can maintain healthy Achilles tendon or hamstrings.

However you twist it and explain in detail, it doesn't sound like a smart practice to me.

If this thread doesn't end in a 100-mile, ostrich-inspired race between Jeff and Dean after three days of fasting, I'm going to vomit in disappointment. 

I was wondering why jester is ignoring my questions as well (not that I'm surprised by it).

xor

Last time jester showed up in 2009, he disappeared several days after he arrived.

He got what he wanted and moved on.

For those who think I got "worked up" over that: not even kind of.  It's really pretty easy to call a troll on trollisms.  And I would have gladly run 100 miles for that.  With food. In shoes.

Now we're onto a 5 minute mile as a warm-up.  Egad.