lights for night running? (Read 1718 times)

sincerely silly

Do you guys bother wearing blinkers or anything when running in the dark?  I saw someone wearing one which reminded me that I have them for my bike (though it wouldn't be too easy to adapt it to tie to myself!).  It was on a trail that is only for people and bikes, but it can get kind of dark and I guess depending on the biker, their headlight might not be good enough to make reflective materials work as well!

Also would I be laughed at if I wore glow stick bracelets I already own? :-) Perhaps laughed at because I own them?

...or if I got these? (I'm just a woot addict.  I'm trying to justify the purchase any way I can.  I guess I'll just have to throw a party...) 

shin splints are my nemesis

A Saucy Wench

If I am running somewhere where I cant see enough to avoid tripping over a root or a crack in the sidewalk I wear a petzl headlamp.  Otherwise I wear a reflective vest and dont worry about. it. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Blinky things are good.

Blinky things are good for being seen. They're not so useful for actually seeing where you're going tho' - a good quality led headtorch is what you need for the latter.

Reflective ankle and wrist bands are also good for being seen.

I use an Amphipod Xinglet (thanks for the recommendation, spaniel!) and clip a blinky to the back of it.  Got a yellow LED one at Dick's for ~$10, and I sometimes just use the more-recently-acquired red blinky from my bike.

I believe when I'm a ways off, the blinking light catches attention sooner than the retroreflective stuff.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This was a morning for people dressed in dark clothing in the dark.  I came close to running into a couple of them.  I wasn't carrying a light, but at least I was wearing a white shirt.

xor

This was a morning for people dressed in dark clothing in the dark.  I came close to running into a couple of them.  I wasn't carrying a light, but at least I was wearing a white shirt.

Ninja convention in Lincoln.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ninja convention in Lincoln.

I was beginning to wonder.

I use a headlamp when it's really dark.  I've got this one here.

It's cheap and wonderful.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

Do you guys bother wearing blinkers or anything when running in the dark?   

Headlamp in front and bright blinky red LED in back.  The first time I ever saw a runner wearing one while approaching from behind in my car, I was a believer.  I could not miss him from half a mile away.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

I clip a blinky thing on the back of the headband for my headlamp. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

... bright blinky red LED in back.  The first time I ever saw a runner wearing one while approaching from behind in my car, I was a believer.  I could not miss him from half a mile away.

You're doing it wrong.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Ojo

I have started running before sunrise and wear a reflective, vest, blinky light and visor light.  I do need to get a better headlamp as the visor light is not bright enough.

Some mornings I can hear someone behind me who doesn't wear any reflective devices.  Not only is it stupid on a road where people drive too fast but it scares the crap out of me because I can hear someone following me and can't see them!

Sara

MM #2929

DoppleBock

I wear a headlamp - I finally found one that is super bright and it also has a red blinking light in back

I also wear it in the morning

Do you guys bother wearing blinkers or anything when running in the dark?  I saw someone wearing one which reminded me that I have them for my bike (though it wouldn't be too easy to adapt it to tie to myself!).  It was on a trail that is only for people and bikes, but it can get kind of dark and I guess depending on the biker, their headlight might not be good enough to make reflective materials work as well!

Also would I be laughed at if I wore glow stick bracelets I already own? :-) Perhaps laughed at because I own them?

...or if I got these? (I'm just a woot addict.  I'm trying to justify the purchase any way I can.  I guess I'll just have to throw a party...) 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I carry the front end of a car, with the headlamps turned on high beams.

But I'm not stupid; I don't carry the engine.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.