Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - nice week.  I played hockey extremely unprofessionally.

DPS - good week and glad you could turn it around after those midweek blues.

Paul - nice week, I'm not familiar with the LA course, what's it like?  It seems like CIM is the most popular West Coast race for a lot of runners.

Keen - you definitely need to start working on a RR!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Set my race schedule for 2020...

2 5k races

3 5mile/8k races

1 10k

1 10 miler

2 half marathon

2 marathons

A race basically 1 time per month from March to October. Our state team racing circuit +1 extra marathon and 1 extra half marathon. Hoping to set a bunch of PRs, but since I'll be marathon training through them and using them as workouts, we'll see.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Set my race schedule for 2020...

2 5k races

3 5mile/8k races

1 10k

1 10 miler

2 half marathon

2 marathons

A race basically 1 time per month from March to October. Our state team racing circuit +1 extra marathon and 1 extra half marathon. Hoping to set a bunch of PRs, but since I'll be marathon training through them and using them as workouts, we'll see.

Here was me thinking I was the only one that planned that far out!!  JMac has had good success hitting PRs as part of marathon training so you never know.

I have generally got a rolling 12 month plan rather than working in calendar years.  At this stage I'm covered through to Sept 2020, seriously considering having a crack at NYC Marathon next year too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Great work CK, that is a great result!

I had my most solid week this year with 66km all at easy pace with little sign of the glute issues.  I'll bring my weekend run back down again this week and build it back up over the next few weeks just to be cautious.  All going to plan I'll start adding in some speed/tempo in a couple of weeks.  I need to do some planning now that I think I'm back on track.  My medium term goal in the Christchurch half-marathon on May 31, 2020 and I think I can look at some 5km and 10km races in the new year...I'll have to hunt some down since it's not really racing season.  There are always the park runs of course.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

James - sounds good, the best training is the one you can complete.

Dps - yeah now that I’m training for a half I’m starting to run longer runs, I’ll soon be running 11, 12 miles. Baby steps!

Kimba - The banter on Strava is very entertaining. Also Piwi often posts pictures of sheep and cows. New Zealand has some super cool landscapes.

Paul - awesome week, may you have a great training block for the LA marathon.

Darkwave - Darkwave Dibaba, now how about that?

Mark - LOL I’ve tried googling your pro player past, it turns out there’s an Australian with the same name and very similar age. The mystery remains!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Dallas Running Club Half Race Report

Despite having been running what has been my highest volume and intensity training block, I was somewhat unsure of what I could do going in to this race. I had a recent 5000m TT and assurances of some step-up-from-imaginary friends saying that 1:25 was within reach, but was intimidated by the time being so far from what I've ran in the past.

The early part of my week (Monday/Tuesday) was essentially business as usual from a workout and mileage standpoint, but I then started a mini-taper ahead of the weekend, aiming for ~50 miles before race day and ended up with just over that.

There was a nice tailwind on my way from OKC to Dallas and the drive was uneventful. Packet pickup was at a triathlon shop that knew nothing about the race other than that they were hosting packet pickup and getting extra foot traffic for some clearance sales. I took advantage of this myself and snagged a pair of Escalante 1.5's for just $60!
              I checked in my Airbnb, scouted the route to race parking, then headed out to the best-rated Italian place nearby to get my standard pre-race spaghetti with meatballs or Italian sausage (boring, yes, but works well for me).

I had planned on using the change back to standard time to net myself a free "extra" hour of sleep, but I woke up exactly one hour before my alarm was set to go off. I took my sweet time getting ready and had my standard stroopwafel breakfast before heading to the race site, aiming to get there about an hour before the start. Just before parking I saw a guy warming up in a jacket from one of my local LRSs, but couldn't find him afterwards to chat. There was a bit of frost on the grass and it felt quite cold (~36-38*) before my warm-up, but as soon as I started moving the tempt felt great. Fortunately the wind was practically non-existent. After making sure I was down to racing weight I worked my way towards the front of the start.

I was quite surprised to see that there was a guy right by the start who was holding a sign indicating he was a pacer for a 1:25 finish, since the race website didn't mention there being one for this time. I figured I could hang with the two pacers and let them do the work of deciding the pace so I could just run.

Miles 1-3 (6:29, :25, :28, 5k in 20:06)
              Right off the bat my idea of sticking with the pacers went out the window as they went out a solid 10 sec/mi or so ahead of pace. A pack of 6 went with them, with one other woman and myself hanging back a bit. This was a scenario I had gone over in my head prior to the race - do I run by myself and do all the pacing alone, or do I run a bit faster than I want in order to stick with a group? I considered bridging the gap but decided that they were going too fast for me to comfortably make it.
              The opening miles (to ~3.5) were pretty flat overall and went right around White Rock Lake. One guy decided to drop off the back of the pack by ~mile 2, while the woman who had started just in front of me made the decision I didn't - she caught up with the pace group at about the same time the other guy fell back.
              There are quite a few twists along the entire course and I try my best to use the pacing group ahead of me to help pick out the tangents. This certainly isn't the simple circle that takes you around the Lake Hefner path in OKC. Just before the hill hits I try to grab a water cup and somehow botch it and decide it's cool enough that I don't have a definite physiological need for it so I don't try grabbing another.
              Throughout here and the rest of the race I try saying something along the lines of "thanks" or "good morning" to volunteers, police who are blocking intersections, or spectators whenever I can. My thinking being that if I can get out even a positive word or two while running then I must be doing ok - just a bit of a positive boost.

Miles 4-6 (6:34, :31, 19, 10k in 40:17)
              Just after mile 3 the race turns away from the lake and goes through a nice residential area, and hills start at ~mile 3.5. Going up the hill I take my first gel. I wouldn't normally take more than one during a half, but I'm partially testing nutrition for the Dallas marathon next month. I try holding an even effort on the uphills and multiple times during this stretch pass and am passed by the guy who dropped off the pack. At mile 4.5 the woman who caught up the pack began dropping back, and the other guy and I pass her about 1/4 mi later, and the other guy moves ahead as well. Around the 10k mark I manage to grab a water cup for a quick drink.

Miles 7-9 (6:36, :30, :27 - no 15k split)
              We're getting back to the lake at this point and things mostly flatten out, though at the halfway point there's a bit of a weird sharp downhill followed by a turning uphill to the left and you end up on a footbridge that crosses over the halfway point. The trail is nice and flat here and I pass the guy I've gone back-and-forth with at ~mile 7.5, then though there's a nice uphill to end mile 8 during which I passed two guys who have fallen off the pack. The pack is maybe 5-600m ahead of me and there's a guy another 100-200 meters ahead of them - I'm liking that I can at least keep an eye on them. I know I've lost a bit of time on the hills and look to pick things up a bit as the terrain flattens back out around the lake.
              Back-and-forth guy stays right off my hip until a water stop at mile 8 in which he slows to a walk to grab a drink before going on.

Miles 10-13.1 (6:26, :24, :22, :07, .11 in 32 sec - 4:50 pace)
              During the 10th mile I start to hear footsteps again as back-and-forth guy closes in on me after I pulled away while he grabbed some water. I blow past this water stop and he again slows down to get a drink. At this point I realize my goal is well within reach and that I'm also feeling a bit too good. During previous HMs I was seriously struggling to hold on by this point, so I decide to try dropping a really solid final 5k to make sure back-and-forth guy never caught up to me and to see who I can catch as the "1:25" pace pack starts to fall apart.

During mile 11 I pick off one or two people who fell off the pace pack, but don't seem to make much headway against the pack itself.
              Mile 12 my breathing is becoming much more labored but I manage to pick off another runner or two. The pace group is getting a bit closer and we're all gaining on the guy who has been just a bit out front since at least mile 7 or 8 (Red Shorts Guy). Just after crossing the 20k mark I catch up to and pass the pacer pair and the two guys still with them. I'm not far out in front when I hear one of the pacers talking but all I distinctly here is "I'll hit the brakes - he'll fly right by". I completely missed the first part of whatever he said but I briefly wonder how a Top Gun quote was suddenly relevant. I also briefly curse the pacer for being able to speak at such a pace so late in the race.
              Mile 13 comes and there's an immediate 90* turn to the right, then a less-than-90-degrees turn to the left halfway to the finish. Red Shorts Guy is within 25 meters and running right down the middle of the road - very much not the tangent. The thought crosses my mind that I may not be able to run faster than he is but I can definitely run a shorter distance to help make up for it so I hit what I'm quite certain is top gear and run the tangent aiming for the curb that marks the apex of the turn.
              I close most of the distance just before the turn but immediately before we get there a spectator starts excitedly yelling to Red Shorts Guy in Spanish and pointing back my way. By now I'm having difficulty even thinking in English, so translating from Spanish certainly isn't going to happen. The spectator's warning clearly had its desired effect as the man in front of me speeds up. Seeing this I yell in my head to the spectator "no, No, NO don't make him do that!!!" Just as the other guy speeds up I find out that I do, in fact, have one higher gear and give it all I've got. I'm barely aware of passing him just before the line (race photos support this), but the race results have him finishing one second ahead of me.
              Chip time 1:24:16 (with Garmin/Strava PRs from 10k on, for what it's worth) and I'm absolutely thrilled! Seriously, I was on a high the rest of the day and that nagging little voice in the back of my head saying "That's probably too fast for you to run across that distance" has disappeared.

Post-race my quads are a bit sore, but nothing bad. I'm not sure if this is attributable to my increased mileage lately preparing me for it or if it's the oft-heard of effect of wearing VFs. One thing I can definitely attribute to the shoes is the blood blister that was formerly the tip of my second toe on my left foot. I'll absolutely use more Trail Toes before Dallas, but if I get another pair of VFs in the future I'll be sure to go up a half size from what I usually wear.
              Back to easy runs for most of the week to recover and help absorb the benefits of the race, and perhaps a light-ish workout Thursday or Friday when my legs feel up to it, then to ramp things back up for another few weeks before starting the taper for the Dallas Marathon (in which I'll circle this lake the other direction).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Your favorite leader has really fallen behind!

Keen - first up, big congrats buddy. There was a definitely major psychological issue with you getting worried about whether you could handle this pace, so I'm glad you went for it right from the start. As I said on Strava, you definitely have much higher potential given how you finished that race. If you aren't redlining by mile 11 of a half, you've done it too slowly. I think you're in great shape for sub 3 now.

Mark - is your pacer one of those guys that drops out halfway?

Flavio/NYC Marathon - these guys in NYC that run with the local clubs are REALLY good. I don't know if you saw, but one of them actually WON the NYC Half this year coming out of the non-elite corral. It's unbelievable!

Runner PTs - I just found out a guy I follow on Strava is actually a PT. He is a 2:16 marathoner!

I had an interesting week. First, it was my highest mileage ever at 80.5 miles on 6 days of work! I tried to get in a small Threshold session on Wednesday, but my legs really weren't ready. They also quickly demonstrated that when I strained my hamstring at the end of that session. Luckily, I had a rest day schedule, which helped it calm down enough with my heavy rolling work. It's now just bothersome, but in a niggle category. I was also able to get in a good 22 mile long run on Sunday with a progression down to MP+10%. I know that's more Pfitz than Daniels, but I really like that idea of working down to MP+10%. I can never start the run at MP+20%, it's too fast.

More interestingly, I had calf cramps in my long run for the first time ever in my life. My lord they were painful! I don't know how anyone deals with that in a race, it felt like my leg was going to give out any second when landing.

Hopefully these cramps were just a random occurrence and not a sign of things to come. Otherwise, I feel great and ready for these final 2 big weeks of training before the taper.

I found my old Excel tool to format my week. Who owns the Strava RWOL app? If it's dead now, is it dead for good?

Day Miles Description
                Mon 7.0 Recovery
                Tue 11.0 EZ
                Wed 11.5 EZ + Strides
                Thu 18.0 8E + 3T(ish) + 7E
                Fri 0.0  
                Sat 11.0 EZ (no strides due to hamstring)
                Sun 22.0 Long Run progressing to MP+10%
                Total 80.5  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - Doh, not more niggles!!  Calf cramps suck too, I remember getting those in my hockey days.

For my race, I think the pacers actually run close to the full distance, which is great.  They've got pacers in all 3 races (B, A and Invitational) for various times (ranging from 50 to 34 in the slower races), and in the fastest race, they've got 30, 32 and 33 minute pacers.  I'll probably be the slowest guy (or close to it) in the fastest race - but I'd much rather be in that race.

If the weather is OK (it looks windy), I'd be pretty optimistic of hitting the sub-33 given that my 33:15 road time is recent and certainly not on the world's fastest course.  One minor challenge is because they've got a very strong sub-30 group who are all gunning for PB's, they're asking the slower runners (like me) to slide out into lane 2 when needed to allow the lead group to pass.  I don't think it'll be a huge issue though - I figure the lead pack will probably pass me twice and probably there'll be a trailing pack that'll pass me once.

Keen - great RR, like JMac said, going at that pace should crush any doubts that you might previously have had.  I think we all thought you had this one coming based on the amount of work you put in and it's so great to see you achieve it.  Also, I would never question someone's choice of pre-race meal!! (for me it was fried rice for quite a long time, or sometimes a burger and fries).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

paul2432

Commander Keen - Great race report, nothing like a little competition at the end to find that extra gear.

Mark -  LA marathon starts at Dodger Stadium and ends by the ocean for a net downhill of about 460 feet with some rollers along the way.  From 15-22.5 is a very slight uphill (about 150 ft) which is just enough to drop pace maybe 10-15 seconds which can be demoralizing.  Final 2.5 miles is downhill.  I ran 2:58 there in 2016 as my first sub-3:00.

Edit: I live about 50 miles from the start vs 400 miles for CIM plus it’s at a good time of year for me.

James, Steve, Flavio, Nice weeks! Nice week by all!

Jmac nice week as well can't wait to see your race results in a few weeks.

Mark same to you nice week Good luck this weekend

Marco how do you get anything done travel so much

I had my 3rd week in a row above 30 with a slight cutback from the prior week ending up at 33 miles.

I'm still not  doing any type of speed/tempo work but like Steve starting to think about it in the next few weeks, probably towards the end of Nov. first of Dec.

Although I didn't start off well yesterday only got in 1 mile. I plan to push up the miles a bit this week taking advantage of 2 days off so may push close to 40 this week.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

paul - I fell so far behind I missed your comment on the LA Marathon. It seems like it should be more popular, but I think the issue is race organization right? I thought I read somewhere that it's terribly run, but I could be way off base. Otherwise, you would think it would be more popular.

Corey - great base building! Keep it up and don't worry about the workouts. It's hard to maintain that but you will reap the rewards in the future. Make sure during this base building you're also doing a lot of strengthening work in your legs.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Sounds like a plan cfarr. Also if just getting in miles run at a very easy pace and get the miles in. I started some workouts this week so my easy days will slow down a bunch. I should have been runner slower leading up but I felt really good. I ran today's workout not fully rested as a result. DON'T BE LIKE ME.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Thanks! Great job on hitting the new weekly mileage PR, especially without doubling at all and with a day off. This is just about the time to do it, too, with CIM just a month away.
                            I've only ever had cramps while running once - when I was within 25 yards of the finish line of my first marathon in OKC. Cramps in my calf and quad (hamstring?) in one leg, then hamstring (or quad, whatever wasn't cramping in the other leg) hit all at once. I'm sure I looked a wreck hobbling across the line, but they all went away as soon as I stopped running.
                            Maybe electrolyte issues lead to your cramping?

Mark - It still surprises me a bit how deep the running talent in your AO is, and that you have pacers for such fast times in a 10,000. Those times would probably win most every 10k race here (you won't find a 10,000m on a track outside of a college meet). And thanks again!

Corey - Good on building the consistency and base!

A bit of soreness still, and my legs get a bit stiff after I've been sitting around (blasted desk job!). I do have to ask the question now (and I'll probably cross-post this in sub-3:20) - that half points to sub-3, but by how much? For a bit of context the full has perhaps not quite double the elevation gain, so not very hilly overall. Strava course profile here.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

paul2432

paul - I fell so far behind I missed your comment on the LA Marathon. It seems like it should be more popular, but I think the issue is race organization right? I thought I read somewhere that it's terribly run, but I could be way off base. Otherwise, you would think it would be more popular.

When I ran in 2016 I didn't have any issues although some time clocks along the course were not working.  I had my watch so that didn't matter much to me.

I finished in the top 200 overall with ~20000 overall finishers* so I probably missed out on a lot of issues (like crowded finish area, water stations running low, etc).

It also has the potential to be hot, so that keeps some people away as well.

*it is not a race with a very deep field like Boston or CIM

JMac11

RIP Milkman

A bit of soreness still, and my legs get a bit stiff after I've been sitting around (blasted desk job!). I do have to ask the question now (and I'll probably cross-post this in sub-3:20) - that half points to sub-3, but by how much? For a bit of context the full has perhaps not quite double the elevation gain, so not very hilly overall. Strava course profile here.

I see absolutely no reason why you should go for anything other than 2:59:XX.

Let's say your actual perfect race is a 2:57:00 (which I think is best case scenario), but you went out in the half 1:29:30. I think you would run a 2:58:00-2:58:30 in that case. No big deal.

But let's say your actual perfect race is 2:59, and you go out at that 2:57 pace (1:28:30 half). There's a decent change you blow up and run over 3:00:XX. If that happens, you will never forgive yourself.

when you're running near these mythical barrier (3:00 being the obvious for most, but for others it's probably BQ-3), I see no reason to jeopardize a good race over a minute difference in time.