DUDES only RUN (Read 551 times)

Yeah, I think it was actually me he was berating, and I think it was a bit of a transphobic troll moment. Someone has a case of the Mondays.  Wink I'm a non-T member of the LGBT community, too. High five!

Right back at ya.  And from Wisconsin too.  My wife went to school in Wisconsin, so there's some real tension in the house on those rare occasions the Packers play the Patriots.

My bad. I didn't intend to distract from the topic.

Back to 20-mpw, Middle age guys complaining about stuff.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I'm a woman and I think most women-only events are dumb. Someone on the last page commented about these events being more competitive for women--I've attended a few and ran in some, and that's not what I see at all. They definitely appear to be more of the group-running (or group run/walking), social events. there is a glaring difference between the varsity women's race at a college XC meet and the Disney Princess 1/2.

Some of you all are coming down on the OP hard but I think he has a valid point. And no, I don't think the exclusion of women from racing back 50 years ago is a valid reasonnfor arguing that women-only events are totally cool. If there was a men-only race in this day and age, I guarantee there would be an uproar.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...Someone on the last page commented about these events being more competitive for women--I've attended a few and ran in some, and that's not what I see at all. They definitely appear to be more of the group-running (or group run/walking), social events. there is a glaring difference between the varsity women's race at a college XC meet and the Disney Princess 1/2....

I've never seen a Disney Princess Half.

Do they not have coaches on the sidelines screaming at the runners

"pass that girl in front of you!"

"close that gap!"

"Move up NOW!"

?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

meaghansketch

The NY Mini 10K is more than a little competitive.  I know that it's not representative of all women's only races-- but races like it are out there.  They aren't all princesses and divas.

The NY Mini 10K is more than a little competitive.  I know that it's not representative of all women's only races-- but races like it are out there.  They aren't all princesses and divas.

The Tufts 10K for Women is another world class women's only race. I don't think they technically exclude men from participating but the prize money and awards are all for women and women make up 99.99% of the field.

Runners run

Julia1971

The Nike Half Marathon was pretty competitive. But, I imagine the spirit may have been different towards the back of the pack.  Which is true for any race.  I'm not going to look but I'm gonna guess that the top finishers at this Princess race probably ran a respectable time.  I bet she's reading this thread and is fuming at the disrespect.  Smile

---- Isn't it true that they will let guys run in that princess race as well?   I remember being at a race expo last year and the lady telling me "Yeah, guys run it, you certainly can if you want to!"   My response was no thanks (I'm personally not into all that Disney fanfare), but yet I remember they were trying to get guys to run in it as well?.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Julia1971

Yes. However, I think in most cases they limit the number of men. The race MeaghanSketch linked to seems to be all women, though.

---- Isn't it true that they will let guys run in that princess race as well?   I remember being at a race expo last year and the lady telling me "Yeah, guys run it, you certainly can if you want to!"   My response was no thanks (I'm personally not into all that Disney fanfare), but yet I remember they were trying to get guys to run in it as well?.

xhristopher

I bet she's reading this thread and is fuming at the disrespect.  Smile

I guess we'll have to ask him.

My bad. I didn't intend to distract from the topic.

Back to 20-mpw, Middle age guys complaining about stuff.

WTH I WAS JUST FREAKING TRYING TO PARTICIPATE.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

WTH I WAS JUST FREAKING TRYING TO PARTICIPATE.

You can participate as soon as you kick out another male participant, to make room for you whilst staying inside the quota.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

Since it's in your Internet history now what did the women run? I'm seriously too lazy to look it up.

I guess we'll have to ask him.

Lines like this are why there are Women's Only events:

"Such was the case for Danya Crawford on September 14, when the 33-year-old mother of two sprinted across the finish line of the Big Cottonwood Marathon, winning not just the women’s title, but the overall race."

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/utah-woman-is-overall-winner-of-marathon?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-FirstOverallWinnerWoman

I've never heard anyone describe a man as winning "not just the men's title, but the overall race."

Runners World comentary aside; 2:46:30 is awesome work regardless of who's doing it!

xhristopher

Since it's in your Internet history now what did the women run? I'm seriously too lazy to look it up.

I don't understand the question. I was just linking to a WSJ article that made the rounds a year or two ago that I thought was relevant to the discussion.