Encounters with Animals (Read 1435 times)

dork.major dork.

I was running through an office park type part of the city on Saturday and there was HUGE wild turkey in one of the raised gardens outside an office building. So funny and strange. I had to stop and star for a moment.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

When in the Air Force I was stationed in noritheast Thailand. Didn't do any running there. Think it is muggy in our southeastern states? Compaired to Thailand Alabama etc is bone dry. Anyway one evening as it was starting to get really dark, I am walking to tbe place I was living at off base and suddenly out of the dark this HUGE shape come lumbeing at me down the trail. When it got close I saw it was and elephant with 4 people on its back!!! Once I went to my first wife's villiage, thought I was in a National Geo Mag for a while. This place was way out in the boonies (about 100 paces off the main highwayWink ) Actually about 25 miles from the main road. Grass huts the whole 9 yards! One villiage out house for eveyone. Anyway my exwife points this needed building (IE hut) out to me and also points out the big stick standing along side it. Tells me to bang on the sides for a few minutes and then wait a few miutes more before opening the door and going in. As I posted earlier, I like snakes. I have no fear at all. But banging on an out house to get teh NINE FT King COBRA that lives there move just so you can pee is a bit much!!!!! The villiagers thought nothing of it!! Thank God I live in AMERICA the GREATEST NATION on EARTH!!!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

JakeKnight

Thank God I live in AMERICA the GREATEST NATION on EARTH!!!!!
        I'm going to try to head off the inevitable: what do you say nobody takes offense at Greg's exuberance? Where ever you're from is super cool, too. Mmm-kay? Free beer on me if nobody does the predictable. Cheap, domestic, American beer. Sorry. Oh, and Gregg - I love my country, too, but you gotta admit: it'd be even cooler with cobras. Everything is cooler with cobras.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Dog-Love

Aw thanks JK because I was thinking about going there and then I thought...nope...don't have time..I've got to write a lecture on poisonous seawasps and box jellies. But I really have to say....oh no I don't... logging off again
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          JakeKnight

Aw thanks JK because I was thinking about going there and then I thought...nope...don't have time..I've got to write a lecture on poisonous seawasps and box jellies.
            Do we have seawasps? That's almost as good as cobras.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Maggie & Molly

running one early morning - light out but not quite bright yet - I ran into a flock of geese. They were just hanging out on the sidewalk right in my way. They were not moving so I did - into the street, around the group and back on my merry way. I'm pretty sure that not one of them so much as took a side step with me coming at them. Dogs, well that's another story. I've had so many dogs barking at me, jumping at me (even had one that I was pretty sure was going to jump out of a car window) that as much as I love em (and I do, I have three) they make me rather nervous every time I decide to run a new route. I run just waiting for the barking to commence.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

obsessor

dogs and cats, yes. Deer aplenty. Turkey. A fox, once. A brown bear in the tetons - once - very far from camp. I stood stock-still for quite a while - came around a corner and it was right there, 30 yds off. Sandhill cranes, a coyote, a badger, mice, muskrats, squirrells of course. An armadillo and an alligator, both in TX. Many birds. I've had a goose attack me on wing before. That was strange.
                giddy-yup

going around a corner one day a year or so back, i startled a deer, who took off running before looking first, headlong into a telephone pole. poor guy.
                    I'm going to try to head off the inevitable: what do you say nobody takes offense at Greg's exuberance? Where ever you're from is super cool, too. Mmm-kay? Free beer on me if nobody does the predictable. Cheap, domestic, American beer. Sorry. Oh, and Gregg - I love my country, too, but you gotta admit: it'd be even cooler with cobras. Everything is cooler with cobras.
                    PC BS? Here?? Good GAWD what have we been reduced to?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

My encounters with animals... 1. I was stretching against a tree once after a run in a local park. I heard some rustling in the branches above me and then looked up as a squirrel ran down the trunk of the tree and DOWN MY BACK!! Shocked I screamed so loud the police showed up. 2. My dad lives out in the middle of nowhere rural Missouri in the country on a long hilly gravel road. As I was running down the road one afternoon I noticed a goat in the middle of the road. I didn't know what to do, so I tried going around the goat. He (or maybe she) didn't seem to like that and wanted to get close to me. I stopped and actually petted the goat and then it ran down the road with me for about a 1/2 mile. It was gone when I went back. 3. I recently moved to a new neighborhood and enjoy running through the residential streets early in the morning. I was running just before dawn on a street I've never been on and saw a deer in one of the yards standing still watching me. For some reason I stopped and slowly approached the deer. It let me get SO close. I was so close I could reach out and touch it before I realized it was a plastic deer. Tongue Sara
                        It let me get SO close. I was so close I could reach out and touch it before I realized it was a plastic deer. Tongue Sara
                        haha. love it sara! you've had some pretty funny encounters Smile I haven't had any scary encounters, but a few pretty ones. There are peacocks in one area that I run and sometimes they have their feathers open which are gorgeous. But my favorite was a morning run at sunrise along the beach. I was the only one out there and the water was perfectly still at low tide. I saw a Blue Heron just standing at the waters edge, like he was looking out on the water contemplating life. I slowed to a walk since I didn't want to disturb him, and he just glanced at me, but let me walk by pretty closely. It was incredible. That beach is one of my favorite places to run. At other times, I've seen dolphins jumping in the water and waterspouts just offshore.

Me and my RP

good stories, Tim! I had a similar encounter with a dog yesterday. As I was coming into the last 1/4 mile of my run, this dog approached me. He saw me running so he thought he'd run like mad around a tree. I couldn't decide if the dog was mental or looking for a playmate. I stood still for a few mins, just waiting to see what he would do. As soon as I stopped running, he stopped. He looked friendly enough so I started running again and sure enough, so did he. He came up beside me, tongue just hanging out of his mouth with the biggest 'doggy smile' he could manage. He ran the last 1/4 mile with me and then darted off to find someone else to play with. Funny how that dog made my daySmile
                            Are you kidding? I have a whole series of "fans" on my normal route. I pass by several horse farms where I have come to know the horses. And they know me!!! Weird... This one horse, Scooter, always starts to run along the fence after I start back up to leave. He wants to run with me soooo bad. You can just tell... Also, this one house has like 5 or 6 dogs.. They always see me about a half mile before I pass them and start going nuts. They know me too. I always wave and say hi to all my "fans". And I get really bummed if they're not out. Other than that, mainly deer, birds, turtles, and the ever popular dead animal. This one poor opossum got run over like 2 years ago. And yes, he's still there. But, looking more like a piece of leather than a opossum. Poor bastard.

- Anya

Sandi Sue

While out running around the state I've seen moose, whales (humpbacks and killer), sea lions and harbor seals, bears (brown and black), eagles, hawks, grouse, blue heron, sandhill cranes, marmots, red fox, and one particular black wolf that is seen so frequently in Juneau that the community has named it (Romeo). I didn't realize how much wildlife I've seen until I saw it written down here. Shocked I love Alaska. Smile

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

I would say that my stories pale in comparison to everybody else's here, but I guess that is the fun in seeing the other stories. I wish I could run by and see some whales, but I guess are others that would like the somewhat good climate that I get to run in usually too. Smile I too get to see a tongue-on-pavement Possum too, it hasn't been there quite as long, and is still a mound and not flat. I worry, because since I run in the wee hours, that one of these days I am going to forget it is there and do the head over heels face plant.
                                "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                                My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com