Anyone had a cortisone injection for plantar fasciitis? (Read 92 times)

I've held the cortisone shot as a last resort for my PF. It's getting to be about that time. The PF is deep in the heel right at the insertion point into the heel bone. It's been months of no improvement with continuous PT and treatments. The word, "chronic" is now being thrown around by the doc and PT.

Please, I don't need other advice and treatment recommendations. I know them all and there are lots of threads here. I specifically want to know if anyone else has had a cortisone injection and what their experience has been. Good or bad. It's only half about running at this point. Walking pain free would be pretty awesome.

I've had a cortisone injection and it made all the difference.  It wasn't for PF but Osteitis Pubis, (so yes a cortisone shot right there...) The situation I was in was the area was inflammed, and I could not break the cycle of inflammation. I had done the PT work to strengthen the weak muscles originally causing the problem, and the shot just got rid of the inflammation and I could move forward.  It was great.   I don't know enough about PF (is it an inflammation thing?) to know if the same logic would apply or not.

Also i'm allergic to NSAIDS so ibuprofen etc..were not an option for me, i'm assuming you've tried that already.

Good luck

Mostly harmless

I had several cortisone injections to treat PF. They helped for a week or so and then it came back.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Mostly harmless

Have they tried to talk you into the PF release surgery yet? I did that too. If you'd like to hear of my <sarcasm>WONDERFUL</sarcasm> with that, just let me know.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

JML

I had a good friend that had the injection to help with his PF.  Unfortunately, he did not listen to his doctor about no activity for a few weeks, and started running again immediately.  The result was a partial rupture of the fascia.  The good news:  either the cortisone shot or the resulting 6 weeks spent in a boot seemed to help to fix the PF.  No way to be sure.

Good luck

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Runner Mike

Yes. twice on the same foot about 6 weeks apart. the first shot did little and the PF returned after about a couple weeks. The 2nd shot seemed to last a lot longer and pretty much got rid of it.

It was really the only thing that helped my PF (I was able to control things wile running by taping my foot, but that got old and pricey after a while).

i think I only took a couple of days off after each shot as per the Doctor.

Mostly harmless

oops. Nothing to see here. Move along.

ezrida

Had it a month ago and up till now it is good - No pain and I am still resting.

Don't hesitate to take it since there is not much harm in it - I did my small research.

Ask your doc if you can exercise your foot. It did even more good for me before the shot.

<script></script>

jules2

I was so fed up with Mrs Jules moaning about her PF that I bought her a cortisone shot for her birthday and she's never had a problem since, what a old romantic I am.Smile

Mind you she still moans about everything else and yes before anyone tells me I know there's a shot that will cure this but I don't want to risk a life sentence.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Thanks all. The PT turned the ultrasound to its highest setting yesterday (she didn't want to do that until she knew the stress fracture was healed) and I've been feeling better today. Couple more weeks of PT and I'll see where it's at.

Jules, you are a truly hopeless romantic.

#artbydmcbride

I was so fed up with Mrs Jules moaning about her PF that I bought her a cortisone shot for her birthday and she's never had a problem since, what a old romantic I am.Smile

Mind you she still moans about everything else and yes before anyone tells me I know there's a shot that will cure this but I don't want to risk a life sentence.

Jules!!  Blush

congrats on making your wife moan!

Runners run