Suggestions for "strength/stretching" days for Hal Higdon Half training? (Read 175 times)

AlexaCT

I just signed up for my first half on 5/18, and started the novice 1 Hal Higdon training program this weekend.

What do you recommend doing on the "strength/stretching" days? Its tough for me to fit in training since I work full-time and have 2 two year olds, so I've carefully arranged the days I run, cross, etc to align with when I have childcare.  Whatever I do for the strength days has to happen at home, since I won't be able to get to the gym.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I can and I will!

Can you do a few lunges while cooking, planks while watching a TV show, stretching while playing with the kids?  These are supplementary days and anything you do or not do would be OK.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Its tough for me to fit in training since I work full-time and have 2 two year olds, so I've carefully arranged the days I run, cross, etc to align with when I have childcare.  Whatever I do for the strength days has to happen at home, since I won't be able to get to the gym.  Any suggestions?

Drinking...heavily.  Actually, 2 isn't bad...around here it was the terrible 3s--and we only have one!

Core exercises would be my recommendation.  The thing I noticed as my long runs got above maybe 10 miles is that I'd have a sore lower back.  Having a strong midsection really helps to ward-off a lot of annoying, chronic type injuries.  Doing some hip-strengthening exercises is probably not a bad idea, either.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AlexaCT

Drinking...heavily.  Actually, 2 isn't bad...around here it was the terrible 3s--and we only have one!

I've got the worst of both worlds: my little one (girl) just turned 2 on Jan 25 and my bigger one (boy) turns 3 on March 27.

She hit the Terrible Twos with a vicious thud a couple weeks ago, just about the same time that he entered the Tantrum Threes.  Good times!

Is it sad that part of the reason I'm doing the half is so that I have a reason to get out of the house?!

Thanks for the suggestion.  My core is more like a bowl of jelly right now, so I'll definitely need to work on that!

I can and I will!

robinde

There are great ways to strengthen at home:  Tricep dips, pushups, squats, lunges, planks of many variations, crunches, bicycle, etc...

Here's a decent video to get you started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUcwtyn61uI

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is it sad that part of the reason I'm doing the half is so that I have a reason to get out of the house?!

I totally resemble this...I started running when my son was 5...I should have started LONG before that!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Grab a Rodney Yee Power yoga video.   (Others will work but his tend to be short and not annoying).  They will cover both strength and stretching fairly well and dont take much space or equipment.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Do a HIIT-type training circuit.  You don't need much, if any, equipment.  You can do stations of 1:00 intervals of high intensity exercises (this is my favorite type of cross training).

You can do the following in such a circuit:

Pushups

Crunches

Mountain Climbers

Jump Squats

Regular Squats

Lunges

V-Up style crunches

Jumping Jacks

Step Ups (if you have steps or a sturdy box)

Burpees

Planks

Side Planks

If you have even one set of dumbbells, you can expand with things like shoulder raises, a plate or dumbbell swing, bicep curls, tricep curls, etc.  It's a fantastic workout.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

some call me Tim

I'm in pretty much the same boat as well, having to fit things in around childcare, and can attest to core work being both useful and not time intensive. In addition to the link that was posted in this thread, some guy also recently started a thread about one he made that's pretty much exactly what I do. That stuff is good for not throwing your back out when you're swinging around those kiddos that still want the same treatment despite that they just keep getting heavier!

I also fit in some mobility stuff when possible. I used to do yoga and always loved it, but it can be pretty time consuming and mobility exercises have helped me to keep those little pains little so I can put in the miles consistently. Here's a compilation of videos from the mobility WOD geared toward runners. The guy is a California dood... all I can say is that I've really been helped by his advice.

http://running.competitor.com/2011/08/injury-prevention/the-10-best-mobility-exercises-for-runners_36329

AlexaCT

Thanks, everyone!  Great suggestions.  I appreciate the help.

I can and I will!

JLongRC

Squat on air for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds.  Rinse and repeat 5-10 times.

Pushups for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds.  Rinse and repeat till your arms fall off.

Situps...lunges...etc.  It will tear you up and you could do it almost anywhere Smile

redleaf

I've managed to do a yoga class on those days but love these aide as for other stuff. Glad you asked!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

tinman11

No.

I believe that the time you spend training, racing, etc will benefit your little ones because you'll be better prepared to deal with all the stress of mommy stuff.

Please give yourself permission to do the training/racing guilt-free.

For stretching, just go around picking up toys and place them high on a shelf each day.

Your friends will think you're the mother of the year.  But don't let them know you're actually training for a 1/2 each time you do this.