There I go thinking again..... (Read 601 times)

BigOwie

Well.......that happened

.....and again, I'm wrong. I'll ask my question first, then do what seems to be a customary introduction to the masses. What IS tempo training? I guess I foolishly thought it was a short run at near max capacity. The internet is telling me otherwise, but i guess I still don't fully understand it. I did two runs today since i was busy making up for my procrastination on tax day. The first was about a one mile warm-up, then a pretty hard 1.1 miles. In my log I called it a tempo run, but I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. I'm also starting to think that there is no point in runs like these. HELP!!! Me? Thanks for asking. Entered my 30's last fall. Haven't run seriously since probably 2001. Didn't do any races then, just ran. Soccer player in HS, then somehow/someway ran XC my freshman year of college. Worst guy on the team, and in most races. But I enjoyed it. I think my best 8K was 32:30-ish at Indiana's Big State Little State meet. Just started about two weeks ago when some friends and I decided that we needed to counteract our recent relationship woes with a goal. That goal chosen was running, which I was really quite excited about. The Los Angeles part of our group is doing a 10K in early June. I have yet to find a race here in Indy that works with my work schedule. We chose RA because of its ability to do groups, what seems to be pretty good work out logging, and the fact that we are strung out across 8 time zones. So far so good. I'm excited about running again. I wasn't sure if it would recognize me after such a long absense. Big grin But its coming around. Not sure where it will take me, but I think/hope I'm back in for the long haul. See you on the streets, Chuck
      A tempo run is a fast run sandwiched between two easy runs. For example, you may do 2 miles of easy warmup, 4 miles at a half-marathon pace and then 2 miles easy to cool down. If you're just getting back into running, you may want to focus more on adding miles at an easy pace rather than tempos and intervals.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Scout7

Short answer: Depends on who you ask. Generally speaking, a tempo run is performed at or just under what is called your LT pace. LT pace is usually the pace you can hold for about an hour or so, so it tends to fall around your 10-15K pace. When first starting out, the usual recommendation is to warm up, run at your given pace for about 20 minutes, and cool down. If you're not sure what that pace is, then you probably don't need to worry about doing tempo runs yet. I'm surprised Globule hasn't jumped on this one yet. He's usually all over the tempo run questions like his mom is all over a piece of cake.

SMART Approach

A lot of info in attachment below on tempo runs. As said above, you shouldn't be doing tempo runs 2 weeks into getting back into running. Slow build your miles w/ most of them at easy pace. You have a lot of work to build your aerobic base, doing tempos will put you anaerobic based on your level of fitness. Build some miles over the next couple months and enter a 5K to determine your level of fitness. Your general training pace is about 2 min slower than your 5K race pace. Most of your miles should be in this general range. http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?board=1&id=248995&thread=248888

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

"Tempo" running is a pretty vague term. Basically, it's a run at a set pace (usually but not always including a warmup and cooldown at a slower pace) and that set pace tends to be faster than an easy pace but slower than a race or interval pace. http://news.runtowin.com/2007/05/28/what-is-a-tempo-run.html If you just started running again at 2 weeks ago, I recommend against running a mile all out. I'd spend at least 6 to 8 weeks running at an easy pace to give yourself an opportunity to adapt to running again. Your cardio-pulmonary systems will adapt faster than your musculoskeletal systems, which basically means that you'll feel that you can run faster, longer or harder than you are actually ready to because your skeleton isn't going to give you the same immediate feedback that your lungs will. That's why runners get stress fractures within a few months of starting to run again. You can vary your easy and hard workout days by changing the distance, but still maintaining the same easy pace. Run 3 miles one day, 1 mile the next, or 4 miles and 2 miles, or 5 miles and 2 miles. Give yourself a little stress, then plenty of rest to recover, up your mileage slowly, and after a couple of months you are probably ready to start increasing the pace a few times per week.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)