Twin Cities Marathon (Read 57 times)

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this forum.

I'm looking for an October marathon in the Midwest and am fairly decided on the Twin Cities Marathon. Just wanted to ask if anyone here has every run it before? How was the course? I've read that it's fairly flat except for an incline between miles 21 and 25, is this true? If yes, how steep of an incline is it? How well was the marathon organized? Also, pacers, what range are their pacers at? I'm looking to run a 3:20.

Thanks!

Christirei

I am also running Twin Cities for the first time this fall, I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback, there are quite a few runners on this forum that have run it before and it is a pretty popular marathon. I've also heard about the incline around mile 23 but if you look on the elevation map it really doesn't seem that rough. Crowd support is supposed to be excellant.

HermosaBoy

It is a very well run marathon and the crowd support is good.

The worst hill you will encounter happens between miles 21 and 22. This hill will get your attention. I want to say its about 400 meters long. It's not terrible, but not a walk in the park at that point in the race. From miles 22 to 25 will feel like it is all gradually uphill (and visually look like it). There are however some nice little downhills in the mix that will allow you to recover a bit.

There is a solid downhill just before mile 26 that is fun if you have any legs left.

There is also a giant flag near the finish -- don't make the mistake thinking it is at the finish though. I have seen a lot of people start their kick too early and then still have a bit to run after the flag...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It is a very well run marathon and the crowd support is good.

+1.  I did the 10M "Shortcut to the Capitol", but my daughter did the full.  It's a good race.

HCH

It's a good marathon, and a good one for first-timers. The course is nice - you start in downtown Minneapolis; cut through the neighborhoods and pass the city lakes (Lake of the Isles, Bde Mka Ska (Lake Calhoun) and Lake Harriet) follow Minnehaha Parkway before looping Lake Nokomis; follow the west, then east, banks of the Mississippi before climbing The Hill to Summit Avenue and its mansions; then glide down the hill to the State Capital grounds in St. Paul. In other words, much of the race is through parkland. On a sunny day when the leaves are turning, it is absolutely gorgeous. Tons of spectators and the fans really get into it.

It's not a hilly course but it's not flat either so you definitely need to train on hills. Everyone talks about the hills on Summit (And with good reason: they come at a very inconvenient time in a marathon!) but the climb from the Basilica to Kenwood in Mile 2 tricks a lot of people into going out at too hard of an effort. The Lyndale Avenue Bridge around Mile 10 will also get your heart rate up. Both West River Parkway and East River Parkway are gently rolling. All the hills are very runnable - ~3% is the steepest grade you'll encounter. Do some long runs over rolling terrain and do some hill repeats throughout the season and you'll be in great shape.

East River Parkway and lower Summit were in TERRIBLE (i.e., ankle busting) shape the last couple of years. I saw a guy trip and cut up his face. Hopefully, St. Paul public works will get out there and fill some of the pot holes this summer.

Organization is pretty good. Last year, there was an insane bottle-neck leaving the finish line because they were paranoid about non-runners getting in or something. They know what they're doing so I'm sure that SNAFU won't happen again. The VIP packages is basically a scam - I wouldn't waste your money.

Not sure what their pace groups will be - it's changed several times over the last few years as BQ times have changed. I'm sure it's on their website. If you want to run a 3:20, make sure you're in the first Corral.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

I found it to be fairly hilly, and I'm used to hills!  It is NOT flat.  It is beautiful but the course can feel a little crowded in parts.  All in all, a good race.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Anonymous Guest

I ran it last year and loved it. Seriously had so much fun, great crowds, organization, pretty course. Coming from a perfectly flat area, I was worried about the hills but honestly didn't think they were as bad as I thought they'd be. Could be partly since I ran it as a training run so that slower pace gave me plenty of energy left for that 21-23ish stretch of uphill.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Another October midwest choice is the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon on October 6.  Point to point, net downhill, and runs West to East which normally equates to a tailwind.  It is a week before Chicago Marathon and tends to get some of the overflow from those who didn't get into Chicago.  At 3:20, you would have some company.

Note this is not one of the marathons Milwaukee screws up each year by measuring short and long.  This one is competently organized.

HCH

It is beautiful but the course can feel a little crowded in parts.  

I agree with this. I wish they would add another corral and stagger the starts a little more. The parkways around the lakes are too narrow to handle that many runners. It does open up a lot in the second half, but pretty much the first half of the race is congested.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm actually going to be switching to the Indianapolis Marathon because I injured my Achilles tendon during the Chicagoland Spring Marathon and will need some an extra month to heal. But I will definitely look to run Twin Cities in the future.