Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'm Steve, 42 years old.  I was born in Auckland, New Zealand and moved to Christchurch as a kid.  Post-university I lived in quite a few places around the world, before landing in Christchurch again 3 years ago.  It's a great place to live (still slowly recovering after the devastating 2011 earthquake) and very good for running with parks, bike paths, trails in the surrounding hills and a good climate albeit a bit hot in summer (if I'm going to mention weather, it is compulsory that I complain about heat - I don't make the rules, I just follow them).

I didn't run a lot at school, besides the compulsory cross country every year.  I played cricket and football (soccer) to a reasonable level up until around the age of 30.  I started running when I was 25 after an ex-girlfriend told me she'd run a half-marathon and I figured if she could do it, surely I could.  I'd also got a bit out of shape one winter when I couldn't play football due to travelling so I needed to sort that out.

My first race was the Christchurch Half-Marathon in 2002 which I finished in 1:34.  I ran the same race a year later hoping to go sub 90, but blew up and really suffered for at least the last 5km.  I finished in 1:33 but I was losing time very quickly in that last 5km.  I returned a year later with a very good build up and ran to how I felt.  I was 40 seconds down with 5km left but flew home to go under 90 minutes by 17 seconds - I was a bit conservative about when to lift the pace after the pain of the previous year.

The next decade was dominated by injuries before I finally went sub 90 again in 2016 (after adjusting my training with the help of a coach).  2017 and 2018 were both interrupted with niggles which stopped me getting back to where I wanted to be, missing out on another sub 90 by 29 seconds in 2017 and 2 mins 39 seconds in 2018.

My goals for 2019 are to stay injury free as much as possible (I can't say completely injury free because that just doesn't seem realistic).  My next race is the Auckland Waterfront Half-Marathon which I did last year and ended in disaster with some bad bonking.  My mileage for the last 3 years was:

2016:   2,796.60 km

2017:   2,291.61 km

2018:   2,308.67 km

My body can't seem to handle much more than this.  If I minimise the injuries and can get somewhere around the 2016 mileage I should have a chance at a sub 90.  My achilles is actually a bit tender after today's run so I'm about to put it in a bucket of ice to hopefully calm it down early.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Watson yes you are right. I'm blindly trying to run a 60 mile week right now on a half broken body. My enthusiasm is high but my legs are struggling. The trip and marathon are all booked so if my training is a disaster I will just jog it. I never thought I would ever say that but it's looking likely.

Jmac I was running on a sore calf and getting no where. I took 2 weeks off not consecutively and had about 5 low weeks of 20 mpw. It seems to have gone now but my lower legs are trashed from last Sunday's run. I've literally been running at 10 min mile pace until today. Can you hop on that leg ?

If you can without issue I would start some low key jogging.

Steve are you able to run earlier to avoid the heat ? You probably have a better social life than me so go to bed later 

Flavio any photos I've seen of you, you  look fit and healthy. I wouldn't obsess too much on the weight thing. Just focus on solid training and eat fairly sensibly . I wouldn't have a clue what my body fat % is. I do have a permanent roll of fat on my tummy.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi, hope things sort themselves out quickly.  I remember you saying the fire was starting to burn out last year so I was excited to see you having a crack at this marathon.

I probably could run earlier but I love my sleep.  I'm back at work now (although working from home today) so I'll be running late afternoon which is far more manageable than between 9 and 12 in the morning as I've been doing this week.  Having said that, yesterday and today have been similarly hot and I struggled a bit yesterday with a heart rate of 176, while today I felt fine with a heart rate of 154 with both runs at the same pace.  I was much better hydrated today than yesterday going into the run.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I am the actual Italian here, although I have been for the last 10 years in Northern Ireland, a place in the world that Flavio had the luck of visiting and didn't like much (at least for running...) and I cannot say anything against it. It is dump and cold for most part of the year, and it is currently dark and grey most of the time, but the landscape is beautiful and life is good, so we decided to stay.

Glad you like NI as I was born there! I moved to England 30+ years ago but still go back once or twice a year to see the parents who conveniently live less than a mile from the Mary Peters track (JMac might remember some of my Strava long runs there in preparation for a track marathon last year). I usually run along the River Lagon towpath (from Shaws Bridge to Lisburn) which is a nice chilled out route. I’ve run the Queens Parkrun and the Belfast marathon a couple of times. And yeah, you would never visit NI for the weather!

JMac - That’s encouraging news that the swelling has gone down! A good tester is to lift your good leg off the ground and then raise your bad leg onto tiptoes. If you can do that then I’d be tempted to try an easy short run and see how it feels. It’s always tricky coming back from an injury, you don’t want to be too conservative and you don’t want to be reckless either. That’s just my non expert opinion. 😀

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

watsonc123

Watson yes you are right. I'm blindly trying to run a 60 mile week right now on a half broken body. My enthusiasm is high but my legs are struggling. The trip and marathon are all booked so if my training is a disaster I will just jog it. I never thought I would ever say that but it's looking likely.

I think you have a real chance of sub 3.  What did you run 2:59 off? I think not getting injured needs to be high priority.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson that 2.59 was off the pfitz 18/70 plan and i was able to complete the plan right through. I was also running 1.22 half at the time and I'm far from that not to mention 6 years older. I've got experience in my favour though and if I can put some good weeks together who knows.

I'm hoping Mikkey will pull me along too.

Mikkey you should post in here too. C'mon stick your bio up.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Marco - I’m also looking to hire a running coach. Your objectives seem very sensible.

Keen - hail our mileage king overlord. May the new year treat you like the ones before.

Jmac - Are a bike or a swimming pool options? I remember old forumite Turfy got an injury and he spent a month on the bike and running in the pool, and he was able to keep fitness.

Watson - you are right, of course. I’m hiring a running coach, that should stop me from doing anything foolish (fingers crossed).

Steve - I somehow avoided the calf and Achilles injuries last year. I’m not entirely sure, but I believe the exercises who kept me afloat were the single leg squats and core exercises in general, especially those targeting lower abdomen.

Piwi - I do obsess over weight, but mostly cause there’s diabetes running in the family and it has a direct link to being overweight (which I am right now). Mom's got it and it has nasty consequences. She's blind on one eye and is slowly losing control of her legs (neuropathy). Even my 33 yo sister now has it Sad

Mikkey - thanks for dropping by. You seem really knowledgeable and I’m glad you’re sharing with us.

me - Today I'm starting the work with a running coach. The first step is going to be a 3000m fitness test on the track. I've never worked with a coach before, so here goes nothing. I hope they can keep me injury free and have a consistent and organized training regimen, with proper phases.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Glad you like NI as I was born there! I moved to England 30+ years ago but still go back once or twice a year to see the parents who conveniently live less than a mile from the Mary Peters track (JMac might remember some of my Strava long runs there in preparation for a track marathon last year). I usually run along the River Lagon towpath (from Shaws Bridge to Lisburn) which is a nice chilled out route. I’ve run the Queens Parkrun and the Belfast marathon a couple of times. And yeah, you would never visit NI for the weather!

Mikkey, I leave conveniently close to the Mary Peter's track (5 minutes warm up run) too. Let me know next time you are running here Smile

flavio, good luck with the new coach, let us know Smile Probably the objectives are sensible, the way I am approaching them might be not, but I have decided to try and get more miles in this year. So, even against Piwi's sensible suggestion of having at least a few weeks with 50 miles before starting the 18/70 Pete training plan, I have started it week. I have alsways had problems in the last 5-6 miles (and in the last 2 of the Half) and I need to change it this year. I really want to finish the race.
                  So, I will try to have a consistent 2 months (although I'll have travels in between) and see if I can stay injury free. If I can, I will then prepare the race pace following the plan.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

For the record currently I only have the Belfast city Marathon planned on the 5th of may. I will then aim for the half marathon (still in Belfast) in September.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

I'm Corey 49 yr old born right outside of Chicago.  I have moved and lived all over the country as well as 4 years in Germany. I'm currently on my second stop in South Carolina, US, where I have been now since 2006.

I played basketball and football (football) in HS only ran 1 year of track mainly shorter distances 800/1500m.  even ran the 110 high hurdles once, that was a hilarious since I'm only 5'7.

I have a wife of 29 years and 2 kids, a soon to be 22 yo and a soon to be 20 yo

1 living at home working and taking classes part time at CC, and one is currently a sophomore at Clemson University.

I started running back in 2010 when I decided to run a 5k and rolled off the couch to 28:0x ...about 5 months later I started "training" for and ran a marathon in March of 2011 finishing in 4:25:21 not a lot of effort went into this it was more about finishing it.  I ran a bit here and there afterwards but nothing consistent for several years until my son joined the HS cross country team and that really got me started again.  I really enjoyed getting out and running with him. and though he does not run much anymore I have continued.

fastforward 6 yrs later and I have ran about 9 HM still trying to reach sub 1:30 currently at 1:33:56

and I just ran a marathon in December running a 3:23:07 and qualified for Boston.

Last year I ran 2085 miles beating my prior annual miles by 1085 miles from 2016.  I hope I can continue to be consistent this year with my mileage and my times will continue to drop.

So far I have been injury free for about 18 months besides a few minor issues and fortunately I have been able to work though them and they haven't impacted my training.

Goals for 2019

Stay consistent with training

Improve my PR's on all distances

Next up for me

5k Jan 12th

HM Feb 23rd

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

dj_dubb

I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone’s introduction post and learning more about this group in the process. It’s time for mine, as I promised I would in last year’s thread.

My name is Dave, 34 years old. I live in a small town about 30 miles SW of Cleveland, Ohio USA. I have two teenage daughters at home, and have lived with their mother since shortly after high school (never married, much like Flavio’s situation but + daughters). I work in Maintenance as a scheduler/planner/supervisor for a decently large industrial facility in this area. My job can be demanding at times, with lots of hours.

As for running history – my original story is much like many others. After high school and into my 20s, I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, and gained a ton of weight - up to 192 lbs. at my highest, and I’m only 5’8”. I started jogging in 2010 to help with the weight loss. It was early in 2012 when I ran my first 5k in 19:28 and have been hooked on training for races ever since. I joined up with some regulars over at RW online forums, and that’s how I know several of the members of this thread here today. That’s about all the companionship for running that I like though, never trained with anyone, or been a part of a running club, or had a coach, or anything of the sort. Much of what I love about running is the solitude of it. I also love to travel, and have combined that with racing – so I do kind of a destination race theme year round. I race mainly 5k to HM distance, and the occasional full marathon. I neither like the full marathon distance, nor am I any good at it. I have done Boston four times, but have had terrible showings there (not gonna sugar coat it). If you haven’t noticed, I use and post in imperial units (because America and that’s how we roll). I do realize it’s a terrible system though, and will join in on poking fun of it gladly. I love competition – meaning, yes I’ll gladly toe the line (metaphorically) with someone in the forum here around my race times 😊

2010–2011: ? miles, fat guy trying to lose weight by jogging

2012: a little more miles, still didn’t really keep track, extremely unorganized

2013: around 2000 miles, 6 races

2014: 3037 miles, 10 races

2015: 3001 miles, 16 races (certified HM PR of 1:15:22)

2016: 2957 miles, 13 races (5k PR of 15:58)

2017: 2961 miles, 11 races (un-certified HM PR of 1:14:00)

2018: 2939 miles, 8 races

The last year or two, I’ve become relaxed as far as my training. I’ve stayed consistent with mileage, but I’ve somehow just become in a state of “be kind of ready for any distance race all the time.” No organization or real goals, just miscellaneous quality runs mixed in there at random times, and sometimes fewer and further between. I’ve run close to my “certified” HM PR several times, but I’d like to lower that this year. I’m not getting any younger at 34, and I can’t help but think I don’t have many more years to PR in these shorter distances.

2019:

1. Race more in general
                      2. Organized, structured training for specific races, with PRs in mind
                      3. Maintain good nutrition (gotten relaxed with junk food too lately)
                      Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey, I leave conveniently close to the Mary Peter's track (5 minutes warm up run) too. Let me know next time you are running here Smile

Cool, I’ll most likely be over again beginning of May on your marathon week!

Thanks Flavio, the great thing about getting injured is that you become knowledgeable about the different bones/muscles/tendons in the body from obsessive googling and visits to the PT. 😀

Piwi - I agree with Watson that staying injury free is your priority and I know how you feel, but don’t panic as you can still make decent gains in 10/12 weeks. Pfitz has worked for you in your last marathons, but you might need to take a different approach this time.....perhaps the “Play it by ear/Make it up as you go along” plan like I’ll be doing! 😂

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mikkey - This is the first time I've seen you in this neck of the woods. Planning on sticking around?

Flavio - I'm interested in hearing about your coach. Nice that he/she/they are starting with an actual fitness test, that should give you all a solid place to start from.

DJ - If you're going to be here I'll have my work cut out for me to maintain my title of Mileage King.

Reading all these foreign-location bios makes me want to go on an international running tour.
                          We've got a good mix of snow and sleet coming down outside right now, but will probably only get a fraction of the 6-7 inches that was predicted just a couple days ago. I've definitely started feeling better (hooray for antibiotics round 2!), but my ribs are still quite sore. Pro Tip: Never cough (legitimately cough) while running. It only leads to feeling like someone used you as a punching bag.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Keen your weather and cold sounds nasty. I'm surfing everyday in board shorts and having BBQ most nights outside 

Mikkey thanks for the sound advice. Today was another fail with 23kms cut to 12 as my calf was aching.

Cfar I forgot you were 49. When you turn 50 we want a body report ie : hair condition, eyesight, hearing, memory loss, viagra purchases....

DJ what is your marathon PR ? Man I remember you running 70 mpw and working 12 hour days. You are the ultimate blue collar runner. OKC are doing ok considering how badly Westbrook is shooting. If he comes right they will be dangerous. I can't watch when he and Adam's take free throws lol.

Flavio ah sorry to hear about that diabetes no wonder weight concerns you. So you have a coach now and are no longer one of our brother hobbyjoggers 

Marco it's great to know I'm not the only academic on here.....

Steve I'm sure that runners are either morning or afternoon types. I just don't have the energy levels later in the day.

My DOMS has gone but now I'm back to a sore left calf. Good news is with the lack of running I'm surfing and kayak fishing alot more than if I was running high mileage.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - I agree with your sentiment. I did that toe raise when I first got the injury and it was hell. Now it's maybe a 1 out of 10 in pain. I think I probably need another week, but I'm going to try a test run tomorrow of 4 miles (max) to see how it goes. I tried running down the hallway of my apartment building and that was fine, so I guess that's a start? I also agree with your feedback for Piwi, gotta go with the play by ear plan whenever you are injured. Same applies to me, can't be jumping back into crazy Daniels workouts until I get back some fitness. Piwi, especially now that you felt something again, dont' go crazy with this sub 3 goal! You always tell me to be smart about things, now I'm telling you.

Flavio - Weight concerns totally make sense now, that's tough.

Keen - I'm on day 6 of my antibiotic train for my toe infection. Took 3 days before it started doing anything, it's amazing how slow it can be. BUT - one thing I took away from this: if this was 80 years ago, I would have died from this infection (seriously). It's amazing how much medicine has advanced that you go from literal death to "you'll see it go away in a few days."

DJ - Great history and impressive mileage. As someone who gets injured or loses motivation easily, I'm impressed by your consistency!

EVERYBODY - Okay I read through everybody's bios, but I'm not sure which were real goals with dates and which were just generic 2019 goals. If you have a race with an exact goal, can you please just call it out specifically in a post? Sorry that your leader is incompetent.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

By memory, DJ has a full marathon of 2:45-2:49, so he is hardly bad at marathons!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25