What is happening to my big toe? (Read 633 times)

Hi all. i'm new to running, and am pretty overweight (241 pounds) but have managed to stick with jogging for the past 10 weeks. Over the last 3 weeks though, my right big toe, on the right side, has been getting painful. Its not the nail, its the skin directly to the right of the nail. Its getting someone swollen and red, and hurts when I push on it. It doesn't bother me much while jogging, but definitely while walking and when sitting around and something brushes up on it. About a week ago I took a nail clipper and a file and dug deep on that side, and actually found some dead skin in there, which I pulled out and clipped off. My wife thinks I have an ingrown toenail, but it seems pretty clear. I'm really terrified of taking days off from running because I know I'll end up quitting my jogging program. Any help? Any suggestions for what I should do?
    2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
    spacityrunner

Well, hard to say, but I was thinking the same as your wife...ingrown toenail. Sometimes the area can be very sore, even if you can't see the nail. Your running shoes could be causing the problem somehow. But, with all that said, you could go see a podiatrist, or take the wait and see attitude. If it doesn't hurt while running...you could keep running till 1) you can't stand it any longer and take it to the doctors, or 2) it doesn't hurt anymore. If it hurts you while running eventually that will take you out of the game and you will have no choice but to stop running and go see the doc and find out what is happening. Your toe will tell you what you need to do next Big grin but don't give up! Good luck and let us know what happens with your foot...and welcome to running!!

Trails Rock!

GP160

I had something like that when I started running this past summer. Keep your toenails short and squared. Go see your foot doc and they can cut out the nail/skin in a sterile environment. Get a pedicure occasionally to keep your feet purty. Wink
        Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

The voice of mile 18

agree w/ the above could be an ingrown toenail I goto the podiatrist and he does his thing and I'm not allowed to run for a couple weeks. very sucky but at least it's january(but I;m a diabetic and I take foot issues very very seriously)

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This thread is useless without pictures. MTA: agreed, could be an ingrown toenail or a paronychion.
            RER

A very common cause of big toe problems is shoes being too small. Try taking the insert out of both shoes and see how it feels (they serve no purpose other than if the bottoms of the inside of the shoe is very rough).