Which long running TV shows never "jumped the shark"? (Read 334 times)

Mysecondnewname

The Breaking Bad thread reminded me that sometimes it can be difficult to watch a long running TV show from beginning to end, especially if said show "jumps the shark".  To me, there is nothing worse than getting hooked on a series that starts like gangbusters, only to watch it wheeze and gasp under the weight of late seasons full of contrived plots, lame new characters, and gimmicks just to get to syndication numbers.

Just curious:  which long running (5 seasons or more) now canceled television shows do you feel never jumped the shark?

My nominations:

Fringe

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Cheers

Lost (reasonable people may--and almost certainly will--disagree with this one Big grin)

Docket_Rocket

Heroes (NBC)

Lost (I agree)

Dexter (frankly, the last three seasons have been a bit over the top).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mta ooh, just noticed the now cancelled bit!

seinfeld, sopranos & curb your enthusiasm.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Not dead. Yet.

Definitely agree with Seinfeld.  The last double episode where all the past characters testify about Jerry's character flaws was close though.

Survivor hasn't jumped the shark yet.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

I think Fringe lost it in the last couple of seasons.

Menace to Sobriety

"Gunsmoke"

"M*A*S*H"

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Umm, Desperate Housewives and Gray's Anatomy probably aren't what we're going for, right? lol

Playing seriously, I think Justified is through 5 seasons and still going strong.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

it's a shame duckman fell one short of the 5 season criteria:

Docket_Rocket

Umm, Desperate Housewives and Gray's Anatomy probably aren't what we're going for, right? lol

Playing seriously, I think Justified is through 5 seasons and still going strong.

Ugh, Gray's Anatomy jumped the shark by Season 3.  I stopped watching after George died.  And I cannot believe the show is still around.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BeeRunB

NYPD Blue

Friday Night Lights

Star Trek The Next Generation

Lost

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Entourage

The Sopranos

Sex And The City

The Odd Couple

The Bob Newhart Show

The Beverly Hillbillies

I Love Lucy

The Twilight Zone

Six Feet Under

Mary Tyler Moore

Dick Van Dyke

Love Boat (was always the same--you could always count on Love Boat)

Law And Order (was always the same--you could always count on L&A)

Star Trek Deep Space 9

Family Ties

The Honeymooners

joescott

More importantly, how many RA users are geezerly enough (me included...) to get the reference to jumping the shark?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Menace to Sobriety

Or remember "Gunsmoke"?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

More importantly, how many RA users are geezerly enough (me included...) to get the reference to jumping the shark?

BeeRunB

i agree that Grey's Anatomy jumped after  Addison (Kate Walsh) left. Never liked the lead character, Meredith Grey, and never saw what McDreamy saw in her.

Love X-files, but not post Duchovny. They hung on too long.

Love Northern Exposure, but they should have ended it right when Joel left for New York.

Seinfeld jumped when Larry David left the show and it went completely absurdist. It was never as funny again. In spots only. Kramer became totally unbelievable. And George had no heart left. He was just pissed off.

M*A*S*H jumped in stages. A little when Frank Burns left. A little more when Hot lips got too serious. And totally after Radar left. It wasn't funny anymore at all.

The Brady Bunch jumped when Oliver came on the show.

The Waltons jumped  a little when Grandpa dies, a lot more when John-boy left, and totally when Olivia left.

Breaking Bad has been rearing up for a jump by the end of season 4. There have been some scenes that were just not believable (like when Skylar fools the IRS by acting like a dumb, busty blonde who used Quickbooks). Not sure if it's going to make the leap.

Saturday Night Live jumped when Bill Murray jumped ship. It had a breif resurgence from Billy Crystal thru Mike Meyers/Dana Carvey, but jumped again. Only funny in spots.

Roseanne jumped when she won the lottery. And a little bit when they had two actresses playing Becky.