Camera help needed - battery door won't open (Read 1071 times)

I am on vacation in Greece, and I bought a brand new camera a couple of weeks ago, a canon sd1200 IS.  Unfortunately, the battery door won't slide open, and the battery is almost dead (only 2nd day of vacation, so this is rather inconvenient.)

Any suggestions on how to get it open would be much appreciated. Brute force has not seemed to help, and I can't find anything online about this problem, unfortunately. Doesn't help that everything is in Greek around here.

Thanks!

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

ymmv

do you have the manual with you? I found it online here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=323&modelid=18144

looks like you first slide the cover sideways to the outside, then it lifts

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good rec., ymmv.  My Canon SX110 IS has a battery compartment that opens the same way, from the sound of it.  It is a bitch to get open and the sucker eats batteries like they're french fries.

BTW, can't wait to see those pics! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

do you have the manual with you? I found it online here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=323&modelid=18144

looks like you first slide the cover sideways to the outside, then it lifts

We know how to open it, it just won't slide because its jammed.  Canon emailed us back and said it needed to be serviced.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

ymmv

We know how to open it, it just won't slide because its jammed.  Canon emailed us back and said it needed to be serviced.

If you are able to get better traction on it, like by wearing a rubber glove on your thumb that is pressing and trying to slide the door, that might help. Good luck.

Hoodoo Guru

Find a camera store among the ruins to take a look at it for you?

The tangents are moot.