10k ish (Read 376 times)

I have never really paid much attention to discrepancies in distance for local races. I figure a tenth or two one way or the other is no big deal. Well a local group put together their first race this weekend. At the 4-mile marker, I noticed that my 305 said 4.35 miles, and at 6.2 I could see a building in the distance that I knew was near the finish line. It wound up being around 6.8 miles. I heard alot of people complaining about the length, and several people I talked to who were wearing Garmins showed the same distance as me. On the other hand, the race was really well done and more heavily sponsored than most local races around here. They had costume contest, band, gumbo/beer, etc. Most of our local races just give you a number and maybe an XL tshirt. So I'd sign up for it again tomorrow even if the course was the same, just because it was a good time. (plus it's my only chance to beat my 10.9k pr) My question is, is a half mile or more of distance discrepancy common? I rarely do a race more than 5 miles since there haven't been any local ones, so I have nothing to compare to. Anybody seen much more than this?
      No that would be unheard of around here. The least a runner should expect from a race is an accurate course. The rest is gravy.

Runners run

theyapper

On the road again...

I don't think it's too much to expect that race organizers actually measure the distance of the race they organize. Covering up the lack of preparation with fun stuff isn't good enough. But that's just me. Congrats on your 10.9k PR. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

.4 miles is to much of a discrepancy. I wonder if they drove it in a car to get the distance. It appears the organizers are not runners.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/