Superstitions and Pre-Race Rituals (Read 272 times)

is it still cool to have one nail a different color? (idk, i don't get out much) because i would totes do purple and orange in that case.

Yep.  That's what I decided...  Didn't see the cat this week, I don't think.  Maybe I'll see her tomorrow morning.

kcam

If I buy the jacket I make sure to wear it before the race.

Black-Toe-Nailed

I take special care to put the left sock and shoe on before the right ones (first the socks and then the shoes, of course).
        And if by accident I put a right sock on my left foot I "neutralize" the effect by putting he right one on, off again and on again.... (almost all my running socks are of the sort that comes marked).

And that's not superstition but almost: I always visit the porta potties a few minutes before the start for a last pee. No idea why, I have never had an urge during a run, I think it's a reminiscence from the times when I started running when I did get an urge but my pride made me keep on running til home.

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
        then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
        I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Julia1971

I don't know if it's still cool but II might do that next time if I remember.

is it still cool to have one nail a different color? (idk, i don't get out much) because i would totes do purple and orange in that case.

Julia1971

And if by accident I put a right sock on my left foot I "neutralize" the effect by putting he right one on, off again and on again.... (almost all my running socks are of the sort that comes marked).

I like the idea of neutralizing bad mojo.  LOL!  I might have to think of a way to neutralize not seeing my neighbor's cat.  Like kidnapping her cat.

Charles G

I also set out all my racing gear in the shape of a person and pin my bib onto my singlet the night before the race. I'm afraid that if I don't do this (especially when traveling for a race) I will get up the morning of the race and realize I don't have pins or I forgot to bring socks or shorts etc.

I did this too except for pinning the bib.

hmmm....  I don't think I do anything really....  I used to lay out the "flat runner" complete with pinned on bib, but these days, I'm just lucky to make it to the start line on time.   Sleepy

Tammarin.....

keeponrunning

hmmm....  I don't think I do anything really....  I used to lay out the "flat runner" complete with pinned on bib, but these days, I'm just lucky to make it to the start line on time.   Sleepy

+1.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I guess I have a couple new ones now. Set a 5K PR Sunday, also met a goal I have had for over 5 years. That morning I got up super early so I took a shower and I shaved. Usually for a local race, I'll just roll out of bed and head  out the door. Looks like I'll be showering and shaving from now on.

#artbydmcbride

I have a friend who insists that carrying his mom's 'lucky' earrings helps him do well in a race.....but he is Sicilian and he has all kinds of quirks anyway...

Runners run

ultramarathon/triathlete

Not sure if it's a superstition, per say, but my wife and I joke that if you ask any racers lined up on the line of a race how they are, health wise or fitness wise, EVERYONE is recovering from at least a minor cold and ran fewer miles than they wanted to, and are just hoping to hold on during the race.

I think people are superstitious about saying something like "Yeah, I feel great today! I slept well, had a great massive pre-race dump, not too nervous, nailed my training leading up to today; this should be a sure-thing PR!" lol

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

When I'm waiting for a race to start, I repeatedly check  that might tongue ring is tight.  I've had it since '94 and don't even notice it and even my co-workers probably don't notice it since I never play with it or even think of it, but race day, it's a little obsession.  I guess I'm afraid it will loosen up and I'll take a deep breath in and choke on it.

And I always watch a Harry Potter movie the night before a marathon, ultra or long tri.  I bring them with me but they always seem to be on TV the night before a race.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Thats for sprinters.

I think people are superstitious about saying something like "Yeah, I feel great today! I slept well, had a great massive pre-race dump, not too nervous, nailed my training leading up to today; this should be a sure-thing PR!" lol

And we run because we like it
                            Through the broad bright land

llyons37

Crumple up the bib number.

some call me Tim

I'm not religious... but I do spend some time the night before the race gathering more info on it than is really useful- elevation and course maps, results in prior years going back a decade, types of surfaces, race reports from past years, potential traffic patterns and various weather forecasts in meaningless hourly specifications. It sounds pretty reasonable, but experience has taught me that very little of the information I gather has any effect on my actual performance and I am mostly doing it as a calming ritual.

It works out better when I do the research for someone else and am forced to provide a bullet point race day plan. People seem to like that.