what's your opinion on private maps (Read 2740 times)

eric :)

Howdy folks! The map locator feature is almost ready to be rolled out. It lets you see the location of routes created by other users right on a map instead of a list of routes. The feedbacks from the beta users are very positive, but some of them raised a privacy concern. As you pan around the map, you will see clusters of maps. One can assume that's the starting point (home?) of the runner that created those maps. As you may know, you can specify your maps to be private, and private maps are not visible to anyone else. The concern is that some of the maps are public because their owners didn't know about the private map check box. With the new map locator tool, it's very easy to determine where a runner lives (by the clusters of maps). One of the beta users suggested that before I release the new tool, I should set all maps to be private to protect their owners privacy. That means you will have to manually reset them to be public again if you want to share the maps. What are your thoughts? eric Smile

Finished!

I prefer my maps to be private unless otherwise specified - but then I'm paranoid that way Smile
      Walk + Jog = wog.
      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
        I like the idea of having them private first, and having the option of making them public on an as needed basis. To be honest, more of my maps would be private, I just forget (a lot!) to check that box.
        "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
          Eric, I agree it makes sense to have the maps default to private, and give users the option to make the map public. Thanks for asking. Ken
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ditto everyone else. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maps should default to private with an option to make them public.
              scrumhalfgirl

I agree with the others - make the private first, and then allow people to make their routes public as they wish. Since people often run their routes at around the same time during the week, someone could not only see where they lived, but by examining their log, anticipate when they might be running particular routes.

-Jess

JakeKnight

While private maps might ease your paranoia, using your real face, your real name, your real location, and real races you've run (complete with your real last name, the real name of your town, and your real age, all just waiting in the results list!) ... is probably more helpful to a hypothetical stalker than a map showing roughly where your house is. If I was concerned about my privacy, I'd start there. Just sayin'. Most of you are a Google search away. Speaking of stalking, is there any way we can get the satellite pictures appear in slightly higher definition. It would really help me out. As it is, the pics are kinda fuzzy. I'd have to go door-to-door asking your neighbors which house is yours, and I'm a lazy stalker. Thank you for your support. P.S. Feel free to stalk me. I'm the second house from the end, not the last one. I fib a bit on my maps to make the distance a little longer. And could you make sure the timer on my X-mas lights works while I'm out of town? Thanks.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

dillydoodles

Setting all maps to be private then having folks manually reset them to be public again is a great idea. Thanks for all your hard work Eric. I love it! I have a question about map features. (This may have already been covered elsewhere.) Is it possible to edit one of your existing maps (say make the route longer), then "save as" with a new name (still keeping the original map as it was pre-edit? That would be handy for me for some of my longer runs. Thanks, Arlene
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a question about map features. (This may have already been covered elsewhere.) Is it possible to edit one of your existing maps (say make the route longer), then "save as" with a new name (still keeping the original map as it was pre-edit? That would be handy for me for some of my longer runs.
                      Yep, I do this ALL the time. So far, so good. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dillydoodles

Yep, I do this ALL the time. So far, so good. Smile k
                        Thanks Kirsten. Do you make the changes, then simply type in a new name for the course and click on "Save"? (And it saves it as a new run?) That sounds way too easy, LOL! (PS: sorry for messing up the thread with this question. I should have posted it separately.) In case others get lost, eric's topic is, "what's your opinion on private maps"
                        eric :)

Hmm... I think I explained it wrong. The question is regarding existing maps. Should I set all existing maps to be private before I release the map locator? I'll set the default map mode to be private from now on. Sorry about the confusion.
                            I think setting all maps to private, as a precaution is the responsible thing to do. I agree privacy is an issue, and my maps are not something I would want to immediately or inadvertantly publish, due to the fact that it is a map to my house. Thank you, Big Porch
                              Eric, thanks for your thoughtfulness. I agree that keeping maps private unless user specifies otherwise is a great idea. Ewa
                              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                                Ditto for me, although I'm pretty good about marking maps private when they are from my home. JakeKnight: Your post made my day... giggled the whole way through. Smile mg
                                Vancouver Marathon - May 6