Lance Armstrong appears finally to have run out of rope. (Read 2702 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

"Rage"...is that your nickname for Mr. Happy?

Yep.  Feel the Rage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You'll find plenty of quacks in physics and biology (or any other science) who will use their title and the letters after their name to lend credibility to their wild assed conjecture too. It doesn't render their entire discipline pseudo science.

See also: MDs selling "medicine" in the back of magazines.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

You'll find plenty of quacks in physics and biology (or any other science) who will use their title and the letters after their name to lend credibility to their wild assed conjecture too. It doesn't render their entire discipline pseudo science.

True.  But when you make an analysis as was in the article, then refer to your status in psychiatry/ology to give it credibility of science, it is not science.  It is pseudo-science/quackery/insert-mocking-adjective-of-your-choice.

BTW, hard science is based on understanding irrefutable natural laws.  It only takes a review of the massive shifts in the DSM criteria over the last 2-3 versions to see that there is nothing hard about it.  Investigated using the scientific method, absolutely.  But the scientific method and hard science are different things.  And not being true hard science should only be taken as offensive/demeaning to the disciplines if you really believe that human behavior is governed by such fundamental natural laws as gravity, thermodynamics, and mathematics.

MTA:  Perhaps this makes it more clear.   Not science =/= not important or useful.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

+1

steph  

My understanding is that he can't come clean because of contractual provisions that let him keep money if he has not tested positive or admitted to doping.  So far he is OK under those terms.  

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Feeling the growl again

My understanding is that he can't come clean because of contractual provisions that let him keep money if he has not tested positive or admitted to doping.  So far he is OK under those terms.  

No, he can come clean, it will simply cost him.  His contract does not prevent him from being doing the right thing and being truthful.

He cheated and lied to get the money under his contracts in the first place, so continuing to lie isn't somehow staying within those contracts.

Besides, continuing the lie is not goint to get him far in court.  Those who paid all those millions don't care what he SAYS he did, they care what he did.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I'd substitute won't for can't. 

xhristopher

Some of Lance's most valued teammates are lawyers.

Besides, continuing the lie is not goint to get him far in court.  Those who paid all those millions don't care what he SAYS he did, they care what he did.

I don't care what those who made all the millions off of his name for so many years SAY-  it depends on the language in the contracts, and I suspect they were carefully drafted by Lance's lawyers in anticipation of this very thing. 

Yes, he is screwed with SCA Promotions, but that is a different contractual term and refers to the bonuses.  I'm talking about the sponsorship money.

Feeling the growl again

Yes, he is screwed with SCA Promotions, but that is a different contractual term and refers to the bonuses.  I'm talking about the sponsorship money.

Thanks for clarifying.

I am not a lawyer, but I highly doubt he is under a contractual obligation to lie.  He is still not out of the water for criminal prosecution; I can't conceive of a sponsorship contract which would obligate one to be dishonest to the point that one may suffer criminal liability.  LA seems to have a lot of high-priced lawyers on retainer, and they would need to be fired if they allowed him to sign such a contract!  Smile

If the contract says that he must pay the money back if he dopes or cheats, that is not a contractual obligation to continue the lie.  He was already in violation when he committed the act.  If the contract says he cannot say he doped or cheated, then he is not contractually obligated to lie; he could simply say nothing and avoid the criminal and/or civil liability that comes with lying about it.

Perhaps a resident lawyer can add some insight.

I am a lawyer and I some of the lawyers who have been involved in this over the years.  I do not know the exact contractual terms, but I believe that Lance gets to keep money unless he ADMITS to doping or TESTS POSITIVE.   That's about as much enlightenment as I can give you.

The SCA Promotions issue has to do with him being the winner of the Tour de France.  Now he is not and has to give back the bonus money.  SCA attorney is also the only one who has deposed Lance and has him under oath denying ever doping. 

Why is it sideways?

FWIW, the doctor Ablow who wrote that article co-wrote a book with Glenn Beck, so I imagine that he bears the same relationship to psychology as Beck does to, say, history.

If you look him up, he's basically a self-promoter. He did figure out how to cash in on the Lance thing though. So, good for him.

Feeling the growl again

I am a lawyer and I some of the lawyers who have been involved in this over the years.  I do not know the exact contractual terms, but I believe that Lance gets to keep money unless he ADMITS to doping or TESTS POSITIVE.   That's about as much enlightenment as I can give you.

Thanks, that does help.  However I'm still with Doug B, it's still "won't" not "can't" come clean.  If the Feds had, or do, move forward with a serious effort to bring criminal charges, coming clean and giving back money may start to look more attractive than prison time.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't care what those who made all the millions off of his name for so many years SAY-

Something interesting that entered the discussion yesterday on WGN radio is the fact that these companies benefited greatly from being connected to Lance.  How many millions of people bought Trek bikes because they are the brand associated with a 7 time TdF "winner?"  Treks are no better than any other brand, but they profited from the exposure he gave them for certain.  Part of me wonders if these companies could end up sullying their own image if they attempt to recover monies paid to him for promotion.  Perhaps they'd be wiser to just cut these losses.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

He stopped fighting the TdF title thing (or whatever) because he claimed that it was a witch hunt and just got tired of fighting.  So now I am thinking that he is extremely misguided, because there is money involved so he's crazy if he thinks people will stop coming after him.

Or it was all about money the whole time.

I am thinking that if he does come clean it will be calculated and negotiated.

Not at it at all.