2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So who’s up for Boston 2023?

If Cal hasn’t retired then I’m going to teach him a marathon lesson that he won’t forget. πŸ‘

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If Cal hasn’t retired then I’m going to teach him a marathon lesson that he won’t forget. πŸ‘

Eh, maybe...

Marby- so close... It was an impressive attempt, though.  Congratulations on the PR.

My week:

55 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and ~1000 yards swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga
      T: 10 miles, including a track workout of 2000, 4x800, 2x200 in 8:51, 3:20, 3:17, 3:16, 3:12 and then 46 and 46. 5:30 recovery after the 2000; Recoveries of around 3:00 after the 800s (more for the last). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
      W: 7 miles (9:58) on the treadmill, upper body weights/core, 4 miles (9:43) on treadmill
      Th: 90 pool-running and streaming yoga.
      F: 8 miles easy (9:42) plus drills and strides.
      Sa: 11 miles, including 12x200, most in 47. Later did upper body weights/core.
      Su: 14 miles progressing from very easy down to moderate-ish, split as first 5 miles averaging 10:10, next 5 miles averaging 8:48, next 5 miles averaging 7:44. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 meters recovery swimming.

Decent start to the week and then I caught some sort of head cold/sinus thing on Thursday (not Covid, according to the two negative rapid tests I took). My plan had been to do a tempo workout on Friday, but that didn't happen. So then I considered doing a tempo on Saturday, but warmed up and didn't feel up to it, so I swapped to some relaxed 200s, focusing on form. Stuck with the Sunday long run, but made a point of not pushing things at all.

Separately - yes I got an MRI last Saturday (so 8 days ago). No, I don't have the results yet.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

If you're going Mikkey, I'm in!

With Marby's race in the books, it's time to think of a new thread-master for 2022. Any volunteers? Or will this be the swan song and epilogue for the Sub 3 thread?

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

If you're going Mikkey, I'm in!

With Marby's race in the books, it's time to think of a new thread-master for 2022. Any volunteers? Or will this be the swan song and epilogue for the Sub 3 thread?

Same. And yes we need a new leader. Who hasn't run a thread in the past 3 years?

Marby - so so close! What a thrilling race to track. I can't believe you didn't get it honestly with how well you ran. Looking forward to the race report

JT - maybe I missed it recently among all the races, but what's going on with you? I noticed running was down a lot recently

DW - I booked the only hotel still available. 1500 for 3 nights in a 3 star hotel, just insane. I might stay in Minneapolis on Saturday night instead.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JT - maybe I missed it recently among all the races, but what's going on with you? I noticed running was down a lot recently

The f*cking booster shot. It absolutely destroyed me. I had to take 9 days off of running. Symptoms didn't go away until around 11 days. It was awful. Anyway, even before this happened I was a bit uneasy about being ready for a January race, but now that's definitely not happening. I'll just target something in the spring, probably in April. BTW, it's good to see you're getting some runs in!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow! That is crazy. It's funny I just got mine and had a very similar reaction to my 2nd shot, which didn't seem to be the norm (most folks I spoke to said it was somewhere between 1st and 2nd shot). Yet, I haven't heard anything like that!

Have you spoken to a doctor about what caused that? I don't remember if you had a bad reaction to the 2nd shot.

And yes thanks about the running. I'm not even cautiously optimistic yet: just cautious, as my right hip still needs a lot of work to get back into shape and although I don't have any of the sfx pain anymore, my labral tear is bothering me and everything about the hip feels off.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Marby - Even without sub 3, that was as heck of a race and you should certainly be proud of that pacing.

JMac - oof! That's a steep price tag for three nights. As a young(ish) 4 hour marathoner that's fortunately something with which I don't have to contend!

Glad the sfx pain is gone, that's a definite bright spot. Is the labral tear painful, feel like it's inhibiting natural movement, or what?

Boosters - This has been a subject of chat via slack at work off and on for the past month or two. The consensus seems to be that a person should reserve at least two days for feeling like absolute garbage, no matter the booster or prior shots.

I think I may be coming down with a little something. Just a bit of fatigue and a bit of a feeling at the back of my eyes like I have a fever (though I have no fever) and my HR has been higher during runs runs than it should be since Saturday. Recovery from whatever this is would probably mean interfering with running a revenge marathon on Dec 31 or Jan 1.
                The Fargo marathon is looked upon favorably, correct??

5k: 17:58 11/22 β”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 β”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 β”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Wow! That is crazy. It's funny I just got mine and had a very similar reaction to my 2nd shot, which didn't seem to be the norm (most folks I spoke to said it was somewhere between 1st and 2nd shot). Yet, I haven't heard anything like that!

Have you spoken to a doctor about what caused that? I don't remember if you had a bad reaction to the 2nd shot.

And yes thanks about the running. I'm not even cautiously optimistic yet: just cautious, as my right hip still needs a lot of work to get back into shape and although I don't have any of the sfx pain anymore, my labral tear is bothering me and everything about the hip feels off.

The doctor said it is rare but not unknown for people to have extended reactions like that. He said most likely my antibody count was already super-high, thus the strong reaction. Also speculated that I might have even gotten covid and not known it in the last months, making my count high. My reaction to the first and second shots was not nothing, but was also nowhere near this severe.

Keen: I think your addiction to mileage is hurting you. I saw you haven't taken a single day off since your race...

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen: I think your addiction to mileage is hurting you. I saw you haven't taken a single day off since your race...

I discovered a couple years ago that keeping some very short, light running up helps to loosen the muscles and that wholesale taking time off just leads to me being really sore and tight for much longer.

5k: 17:58 11/22 β”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 β”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 β”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - was actually going to ask that but forget when I posted: the only people I've seen have really bad reactions are people who already had COVID. When my wife gave birth in July 2020, they were forcing everyone delivering to get an antibody test: she showed up positive. We figure she got it during March 2020 when seemingly everyone had it in NYC, but just never had symptoms. She had a really bad reaction to her 2nd shot and we're definitely worried about her booster, but given the data right now on boosters, seems like it is worth it anyway.

Keen - the labral tear doesn't bother me at all while running, which is very good. Still annoying day to day and you never know if you are unconsciously altering your stride to avoid the pain. I do agree with JT though: I understand the desire for a revenge marathon, but that might be a little tight. If you DNF'd at mile 16, that's one thing, but I think you keep going though like mile 22 right? I definitely think you can get a good one in if you ran sometime in March? Way too quick for a normal marathon, but doable with your race.

Running Problem

Problem Child

EDIT: I'm in to see this lesson. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Missed it by that much...bugger😫

Such a close race. I hope you're feeling good today. Less than 1 second per mile hurts. I had that happen for my second attempt at a BQ. 3:05:24 or something like that. You'll get it.

Darkwave You moving workouts because "I don't feel like it" is very uncharacteristic. I'm going to have to omit this from the permanent record I have of things you'd do, say, or approve. I wouldn't want this to tarnish the reputation I have of you in my head. Hope the MRI results come back with something useful to your doctors.  Something more than "nothing bad so we'll just keep doign what we're doing."

JT My wife said she heard the same (knocked me out) response from a woman at a birthday party we hosted this weekend. Seems more of the "everyone is different" phrase so common with the first and second shit shots. Oh and I've taken up running continously after CIM. The first day hurt. I think it helped make every day after feel better and I did a 10 mile long run 6 days after CIM. This is entirely new territory for me.

Keen I think OMR has run Fargo, or at least recommended it. It might just perfect for you. Flat country roads with animals. I hope you pass a bunch of deer along the course. I also think there is something to continuing to run after CIM. Is there any reason you seem to be going a little slower, or is it strictly to the heart rate/eyeball thing?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - no more posting from you until we get that race report.

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - no more posting from you until we get that race report.

You get cranky when your injured and can't race. Vicariously living through me won't shed those winter ounces you've put on recently "due to injury."

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

marby: Congrats on the PR, and oof that was close to a sub-3!  Definitely one in your future, I think.

Keen:  Sorry to hear about your stomach woes, hope you can get that figured out.  Regarding the Fargo marathon, it is true that it is pretty flat around here.  I can easily go for a 20-mile out-and back run and gain less than 10 feet in elevation.  The organizers have taken advantage of added "trails" along the river, so there are a few rollers in there, but we're talking maybe a maximum of 20 feet on any single climb, and probably no more than 100 feet for the entire marathon.  And the trails are concrete, so not really trails.  The race starts and ends in the Fargodome, which is nice, because even if it isn't the best weather, you start/end in a controlled environment.  It actually doesn't run out in the country, but through the Fargo/Moorhead community.  There may be a few deer (or wild turkeys) along the river to keep you company.  But most of the marathon is run on paved/concrete streets in the community.

The 2022 version is returning to a May start, rather than this year's September run.  The weather in May can be a bit iffy here.  Snow is uncommon by mid-May, and it normally isn't that hot/humid yet.  If it rains, it is usually a cold rain.  I think the biggest issue with the weather would likely be the wind, as it can be windy here in the spring.  It's usually more calm in the morning, however.  Some of the course would be protected by the wind, but not necessarily all of it.  And the course is usually mostly South for the first half, North for the second.  So, if there is a North wind, it can be a tough finish.

Hey to everyone else...I've been taking an extended break from running, and hope to start getting back into it once our semester winds down.  Finals are over on Wednesday, grades are due on Friday.  I've got some belly fat to lose, hahaha...