The mistake... (Read 1112 times)

Names and dates altered to protect the innocent Frank, actually is real name, ( a colleague of mine) decided to run the Ottawa marathon. He trained diligently and followed the advice of his wife an avid runner that has ran Boston. Frank, understood the importance of routine in his training. He adhered to a strict dietary regimen and did not devaint. As teh race approached he consulted the race web site to determine whether teh gels he had been consuming as part of his training would be provided or would he have to bring his own. Much to his delight gels would be provided at all aid stations and there were aid stations every 3 KMs. Race day came and Frank and his training mates arrived and followed the normal routine to prepare for their long runs. The gun sounded and he was off. He and his mates separted in te pack. As he approached the first station he seen a volenteer extend their hand offering a gel. He took it and quickly swallowed. He only, though for a second that it had a uniquely non flavour, not the typical strawberry/banana or vanilla that he favored during his training. Further, he only considered the delivery method of the gel as a means for runners to quickly swallow the necessary fuel. Frank informed us that he took on the gels at every aid station and at some stations twice. It was at the 27th KM that Frank noticed something peculiar. A runner ahead of him, reached and took the gel he was reaching for and immediately applied it to his groin. Frank thought odd, "Why would one wipe gel on their groin?" Why? Because, it was vaseline! The fact that the delivery mechanism was a tongue depressor was perceived to because of efficiency. So it only took a few minutes for this realization to really take hold of his stomach. Needless to say the remaider of his race was not done at the pace or gusto as the beginning. The mistake Frank made was not eating vaseline at the aid stations. No, no. It would come at the finish line. Upon completion, he found his buddies and they dicussed their times. When asked why he failed to make the time he so dilligently trained, he told his "friends" the truth. Needless to say he will never live this down. I am often curious as to how the volenteers and other runners reacted to witnessing Frank consume the "gel". Frank is 6'6'. He stands out.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Frank made the classic mistake. He did something on the race day that he did not do in training. He would have had a much better experience had he tested consuming vaseline on the long runs leading up to the race. Live and learn, I guess.

Why is it sideways?

The key is starting out just like Frank did (but of course not in a race situation), with popsicle sticks, one every thirty minutes or so. Over the course of weeks, you can increase both the rate at which you consume the vaseline off the sticks and the quantity of sticks. I've been at it for 15 years now, and the amount of vaseline that I can presently consume was unimaginable to me when I began eating it. I now average a tub of vaseline a week, and over two gallons of the stuff a year. The key, for me, is just putting it on the sticks. Once it's on the sticks, and I've got them in my pocket, it's just natural to finish them off. Good lick to Frank!
        JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Scout7

I've been at it for 15 years now, and the amount of vaseline that I can presently consume was unimaginable to me when I began eating it. I now average a tub of vaseline a week, and over two gallons of the stuff a year. The key, for me, is just putting it on the sticks. Once it's on the sticks, and I've got them in my pocket, it's just natural to finish them off. Good lick to Frank!
            This is vaguely dirty. And not in a good way, either.
              This is vaguely dirty. And not in a good way, either.
              I don't think Jeff's talking about consuming the way you "consume" it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Purdey

Self anointed title

I, on the other hand, have made the opposite mistake in several races. Oh how my friends laughed when they found out I'd been rubbing carbo gels into my groin.

A Saucy Wench

so funny, my team run last night they (who do NOT frequent RA) brought up seeing runners eat the vaseline in races.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

C-R

Great story and I'm sure Frank's (aka "Petrol" or "Vas") friends will never let him forget. This is the first time I have ever heard of this, but then again, I don't get out much. Big grin Since this seems to be a new trend in long distance fueling - what exactly is the caloric and carb value for a depressors worth of vaseline?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

Great story and I'm sure Frank's (aka "Petrol" or "Vas") friends will never let him forget. This is the first time I have ever heard of this, but then again, I don't get out much. Big grin Since this seems to be a new trend in long distance fueling - what exactly is the caloric and carb value for a depressors worth of vaseline?
                      Zero carbs, it is pure oil with a little wax for binding. Roughly 100 cals for a tablespoon

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7