The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

morphex

I thought Kanye was going independent to split the black vote so that Trump gets in again. No?

Imagine Kim Kardashian as First Lady....❤️

Not to forget, director of the OIC, Slim Shady.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

Running Problem

Problem Child

I thought Kanye was going independent to split the black vote so that Trump gets in again. No?

Imagine Kim Kardashian as First Lady....❤️

I’m sure she would focus on prison reform right now with everything going on like COVID 19 spreading in prisons. 
      I don’t think it would be much different than the current First Lady with a background in modeling and is considered a business woman. Maybe her sex tape (that her mother  sent out so her daughter would become famous) would hit the internet again.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/kim-kardashian-prison-reform-trump-kushner/

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

morphex

I’m sure she would focus on prison reform right now with everything going on like COVID 19 spreading in prisons. 
        I don’t think it would be much different than the current First Lady with a background in modeling and is considered a business woman. Maybe her sex tape (that her mother  sent out so her daughter would become famous) would hit the internet again.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/kim-kardashian-prison-reform-trump-kushner/

Wouldn't a death or serious disability due to Corona in a jail unleash a bajillion dollar lawsuit? I saw an episode of Lawn Order where a sex offender was raped in a treatment facility and got a million dollars, while the person he raped got 0.

Yes those episodes are imaginary but I guess developed to raise the issues.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wouldn't a death or serious disability due to Corona in a jail unleash a bajillion dollar lawsuit? I saw an episode of Lawn Order where a sex offender was raped in a treatment facility and got a million dollars, while the person he raped got 0.

Yes those episodes are imaginary but I guess developed to raise the issues.

Nope. Plenty of people in jail get sick and die. No one has ever sued over the wrongful death of their loved one and won. Why is COVID 19 so special? Someone could get HIV in jail and.....wait... the sex offender on a TV show was raped and got a million bucks. I don't think you can get any closer to reality than Law and Order. I heard Marian Jones settled a defamation lawsuit outside of court against BALCO then later admitted to using PED and was sentenced to 6 months in jail. I doubt anyone made a tv show out of it though. Oscar Pistorius should be released from jail because he is at risk for catching COVID 19 due to his speed.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/What-R0-naught-rate-reproduction-coronavirus-15405204.php

Yeah that's right. COVID 19 has an R-naught score less than HIV or the measles. I'm aware of the vaccine for measles however I'm unaware of the vaccine for HIV. IF COVID 19 has an R0 score in the same range as a virus we have a vaccine for I don't understand the logic of treating it any different. You can spread the flu and measles just as much with the vaccine as you can COVID 19 without a vaccine according to the R0 values. Oh and in case we forgot there is still no cure or vaccine for SARS according to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome#Vaccine

As of 2020, there is no cure or protective vaccine for SARS that has been shown to be both safe and effective in humans.[24][25] According to research papers published in 2005 and 2006, the identification and development of novel vaccines and medicines to treat SARS was a priority for governments and public health agencies around the world.[26][27][28] In early 2004, an early clinical trial on volunteers was planned.[29] A major researcher’s 2016 request, however, demonstrated that no field-ready SARS vaccine had been completed because likely market-driven priorities had ended funding.[13]

https://theconversation.com/the-mysterious-disappearance-of-the-first-sars-virus-and-why-we-need-a-vaccine-for-the-current-one-but-didnt-for-the-other-137583

Crazy how SARS went away and didn't need a vaccine when 10% of the people who got it were killed. COVID seems to be less than 10% in the hot spots like New York and 1/4 of SARS death rate in lots of places in the world.

I'm so excited about COVID 19 in the west. It's closing down everything in California and with schools closed I expect there to be less people out running during the mornings when schools open back up. Parents will have to shuttle their kids or occupy them at home instead of going out in public. It should make things MUCH nicer than they currently are with people going out in public all summer long without masks.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

So what policies would you propose? You keep critiquing the policies that are out there because they are not as consistent as you would like to see them. How would you fix it? Balancing keeping people safe and opening the economy. And remember, for any rules for which there is a threshold - such as distancing - you’re going to have to provide a number that is hopefully scientifically-based.

I never saw an answer to Trent's question.

Running Problem

Problem Child

It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

So what policies would you propose? You keep critiquing the policies that are out there because they are not as consistent as you would like to see them. How would you fix it? Balancing keeping people safe and opening the economy. And remember, for any rules for which there is a threshold - such as distancing - you’re going to have to provide a number that is hopefully scientifically-based.

I'd fix it the same way we fix Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus.

If we don't want mask mandates then shut everything back down. Home Depot, Walmart, Target, and auto parts stores were open back in March and May when the spread kept going up. Close those down too and limit the number of people in the grocery store to 50 because almost no one pays attention to the "one way traffic" signs on the floor, and maybe we can get through this together. Just treat the businesses equally. If McDonalds and Starbucks can be open then so can any other drink and/or food service. Somehow I don't believe the brewery selling canned beers is going to spread COVID 19 more than McDonalds. Construction shuts down too since they are essential and the spread continued even when they wore masks before the mandates. If we want masks mandatory then open everything back up.

numbers?

County Population

465,000 (it is actually almost 17,000 people higher so the percentages change)

4,100 cases (8.82% of the population)

2,767 recovered (67% of the cases)

1,239 current cases (30% of the cases, 0.027% of the population)

102 deaths (2.5% of the cases. 0.0219% of the population)

312 released from the hospital (unsure why this matters unless it means everyone else wasn't hospitalized and didn't need a ventilator) 7.6% of the cases

70 currently hospitalized.  (1.7% of the cases, 0.015% of the population)

0.027% of the population is currently testing positive for either antibodies against COVID 19 or positive for having it. IF those 0.027% of the population stay home for the next 14 days and socially distance I'd expect the virus to lose it's host and die. That's how it works right? If the host dies the virus dies due to having no host.

The 0.0219% of the population that has died with a positive test does me no good because I don't know how many of them had an underlying condition someone could look at and say "well yeah anyone with lung failure is going to die REAGARDLESS of COVID 19. Especially when you find them at the bottom of a pool." All I know is they tested positive for COVID 19 and I don't even know if it was antibody or actually the virus and it caused them to die. The data was so bad initially, and the media overwhelmingly continued to say "underlying health conditions" instead of "heart attack while on top of their 2 story house" or "electrocuted during a home renovation they started in April 2020." What I CAN SAY is 97.5% of the cases live and continue with their daily lives with antibodies that will eventually fail them due to not providing long term immunity.

oh yeah, it's not like businesses shut down when wildfires fill the air with particulate matter that can permanently damage your lungs. We don't even require masks for those times. Air Quality in Greenville, South Carolina is currently 132. People with heart or lung disease, older adults, children and teens

Is lung damage due to smoke inhalation a result of COVID 19? I don't recall being told how safe it was to wear a mask during wildfire season. "dear citizens, please wear a face covering outside when it is 100F and 43% humidity. It's for your own protection." naaaaaaaa.

"due to Covid 19 you must now wear a mask outside when it is 100F and 43% humidity. Also restaurants are only allowed to seat you outside." ok that makes me feel safer. They're doing something.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I never saw an answer to Trent's question.

I never saw it. I kind of walked away from here to go back to marathon training. I think CIM is going to happen in December.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53589817

17 new deaths (no mention of any potential underlying conditions like being shot, having a heart attack or being 103 years old)

723 new cases

1.7% death

This AFTER a lock down. So since Melbourne is causing this disease to spread the entire country needs to lock down. For longer.

16,303 cases

189 deaths

9,758 recovered

Victoria, Australia population 5.93 million people

Australia total population 25.36 million people.

4.163 million people tested too.

Yeah. This virus is going to wipe out the population like the plague.

https://covid-19-au.com/

190 deaths from 4.1 million tests.

1.17 death rate in Australia and due to this 36% spike they're locking down and blaming sick people for not quarantining.

This is beyond entertaining and now it's just politics. Seriously. What is there to get under control? 98.3% of the healthy population going out and doing things to fund the country?

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/coronavirus-australia-scott-morrison-warns-of-further-measures-amid-victorian-outbreak/news-story/cf3c89ebeba94ddc378c4458ddbbc537

“We have now been in this lockdown now for some weeks, and we are not getting the results we would hope for. And as a result the further measures that are taken are certainly necessary,’’ Mr Morrison said.

Lockdown has been for some MONTHS, not weeks, and still a 1.17% death rate.

I guess we need to teach more people about how deadly COVID 19 is and how disease spreads. Either that or abandon lockdowns, business closures, and mask wearing mandates because at this point they've shown they aren't preventing anything either because they don't work, or people aren't following them. I'll tell you locally people are wearing masks, but not covering their entire face because it's uncomfortable to wear them when it's hot out.

VDOT 53.37 

I think it's more convenient to pretend there isn't a problem, and just go about business as usual. And also get mad at people that point out there actually IS a problem, because that's interfering with my convenience. Maybe even physically attack them if they are particularly insistent.

(note for the slow: this is sarcasm)

150,000 dead Merikuns so far even WITH the unprecedented shutdowns and precautions. Imagine what it would be like if we just ignored it. Also, we aren't even done with the first wave, it never stopped growing, it just slowed for a bit.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think it's more convenient to pretend there isn't a problem, and just go about business as usual. And also get mad at people that point out there actually IS a problem, because that's interfering with my convenience. Maybe even physically attack them if they are particularly insistent.

(note for the slow: this is sarcasm)

150,000 dead Merikuns so far even WITH the unprecedented shutdowns and precautions. Imagine what it would be like if we just ignored it. Also, we aren't even done with the first wave, it never stopped growing, it just slowed for a bit.

I'm not mad about anything. I don't understand the panic or concern over COVID 19 when looking at the numbers it's not as deadly as I expected back in April when we were supposed to quarantine for 3 weeks so the incubation period would pass. Just looking at the recovery rate without a vaccine I wonder where the concern is. 98% of the people who get it recover. It's going to get cured when Joe Biden is elected. Donald Trump has been horrible about everything with this virus and without crackdowns on people not socially distancing or wearing appropriate masks no one is ever going to take it serious. People will just keep walking through the grocery store with their mask around their chin, or under their nose because it's uncomfortable and they don't care about the percentage of the population not recovering.

shut it all down. Grocery stores. Gas stations. Home Improvement stores. Donation and thrift shops. It's obvious at this point whatever we've done at this point hasn't been enough to stop the spread. You can't tell me it has otherwise the spread would stop. I don't care if it's inconvenient for you to run out of food. All those "essential" businesses that haven't closed need to close their doors and do curbside delivery with masks and gloved pick ups. Nothing is more essential than defeating COVID 19. Otherwise we're just going to have to live knowing COVID 19 is never going away and masks and social distancing are the new way of life.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is the wild west right? Guess we can talk about marathons and covid here. Solves everything. Looking forward to marathon training being blocked as a discussion topic.

Cal - I think I'm going to do the 5K/10K JD block for this fall. If there is a Boston next year, I figure it'll give me a good speed base. I was trying to go the bigger aerobic base but I think this is the solution now after discovering that just didn't work for me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Which word of "wild west" did you not understand?

Looking forward to marathon training being blocked as a discussion topic.

rlopez

I once shot a man... just for snoring.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Which word of "wild west" did you not understand?

The word Wild and the word West.

So we can only talk about marathons in the wild west. What geographical location are you using since compared to Russia and Japan New York is pretty far West. Isn't Japan the Far East? From what? Not too far from Russia.

Without a central point of what the moderators consider East, West, North and South I'll might consider COVID 19 related to just one TV show. How could you let so many people go on for so long discussing the COVID 19 pandemic outside of 1969 in this thread?

Are we talking about the Wild West ending in 1895? I'm sure they didn't care much about vaccines and died without much concern for others. Maybe they thought it was good to go through life not worried about getting a fever, but then again maybe fever = death and that's what happens with COVID 19 so I see the link. 

Maybe it's this Wild Wild West. Can you imagine people just handing out valium to each other? Hopefully they're gloved with masks on and no fever. Ideally they'd be recovered from a confirmed COVID 19 case too so they can have limited protection with their antibodies.

JMac Seriously, a 10K training plan for a spring Marathon? Are you still going to aim for 120 mile weeks or will it be closer to 60 miles? After an entire year of no racing you should have a good aerobic foundation. Should be interesting to see how it plays out on race day. Hope to see you in/around the area. Maybe we can swap dad stories because it gets better after it gets worse. Just like marathons and COVID 19.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I once shot a man... just for snoring.

Hey Trent this isn't related to the COVID 19 thread. I think this guy is a cop or came from a law enforcement family and this supports police brutality. I find this obscene. Also, being shot sounds harmful to another use, visitor, this website, or any other person or entity.

VDOT 53.37