Pacing and the newbie (Read 981 times)

There is a thread about pacing over on the general running board and it got me thinking... for someone so new to running that they don't have a marathon time or any other sort of times to go on what do you shoot for? I don't have a hrm. I would like to build an aerobic base and I'm thinking about using HH spring training for the novice starting tomorrow. I am super slow, just finished C25K and ran my first unofficial "virtual" 5K with a time of 43:29 that wasn't an all out for me at all because I had to walk quite a bit during the first 2K due shin splints that I'm learning require a really good warming up. I would love to get some suggestions on how to handle pacing for my training over the next twelve weeks.
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

I would just go SLOW - don't worry about what your exact pace is. Make sure you can keep up a conversation while you're running. You are so new that you just want to build up your miles SLOWLY. If you're getting shin splints, you may be doing too much, believe it or not. When I started out, I had to cut back from even two miles straight for a few weeks. Just KEEP GOING - your pace and distance will improve. The best advice RA people gave me was to remember that I'm in this for the long haul. Impatience will just cause problems. Good luck!
        I agree. For now, your pace should be whatever allows you to build your mileage up safely and to keep running consistently. Focusing on pace at this point is probably counterproductive; instead, work on increasing the number of days per week you run, and the length of your runs, in each case without getting injured.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Hey all, thanks for the input. I guess I was hoping to get a feel for how slow is slow. Looking for some guidance on how to find that slow pace that is appropriate and when running any slower is physically tough, how to know when to insert a walk break. For me, the shin splints are a compartment thing in the tibialis anterior and warming up well seems more important than pace. I just keep seeing that running at the wrong pace while establishing your base is a bad idea and even some conversational paces seem to be inappropriate for that. I'm certainly not looking to go fast. Just the opposite, but without being used to ever having run fast I'm not sure I know what kind of slow we are after. Does that make sense? I suppose maybe the only answer to give has already been given but I would hate to spend 12 weeks base building only to find out that I have not gained the base I was after because I'm running too fast.

2008 Running Goals
          • Complete a 10K fun run

Just Be

You could try to pick a pace that you feel like you could maintain for 1 hour without stopping. If you are running outdoors, it's easier to pick an intensity rather than a pace, since going up or down a hill will drastically change how easy or difficult your intensity is at any one given pace. So if you're running outdoors and you pick an intensity that you can maintain for 1 hour with moderate difficulty, you'll likely be running at a pace which will do well in terms of building your aerobic base - just make sure to listen to your body a lot in the beginning so that you don't get hurt, since right now your musculoskeletal system is probably the limiting factor which will keep you needing those walk breaks at your correct intensity level... but if that's where you sit right now, don't worry, if you run smart that phase will pass in just a few months, probably even less. Smile Good luck!
              sweet! Thanks Runner92 I think I can relate that advice to something I'm feeling when I'm out there running. I'm learning that a couple walk breaks early on when I am not feeling tired yet make all the difference in my enjoying the whole run so I will space those out fairly evenly to keep that low heart rate.

2008 Running Goals
              • Complete a 10K fun run

Just Be

To add a little, know that I'm not saying you should be running for 1 hour all the time... just that you should be running at an intensity that you think you could maintain for 1 hour. Also, if you find your pace so uncomfortably slow that you feel like you'd be better off walking, keep running unless it feels like you will hurt yourself - maintain the running form if you can help it - no matter how awkwardly slow it feels. After enough trial and error you'll eventually find your own correct pace, but it will change a lot over a short period of time as you get more and more fit, so you'll have to keep adjusting it... but that means you're doing something right! Again, good luck! Smile
                  I think the biggest mistake that new runners make it to worry about pace. It's very very common for newbies to want to run fast (we all want to be faster). Second biggest mistake is to compare yourself to other runners and feel your too slow, or too heavy or to anything else.. The advice given above is sound advice. Dont worry about pace - just run at a comfy pace (FOR YOU) and keep out there and forget about the rest of it. Don't worry about time or minues per mile or anything. Just worry about going out and running at a pace that you can run at and talk at the same time. All the rest will take care of itself.....your on the right track...dont get impatent (sometimes we over analyze things when all we should be doing is running).........JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

Queen of 3rd Place

Some useful advice I got some time ago was that you should be able to chat, but not sing. Arla

Ex runner

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you wee. I'm prone to shin splints, relatively new to running and run really slow. I find that whenever I try to increase my pace I set myself up for injury and have to take a week or more off. Right now I'm just trying to focus on distance not speed. I run (what seems to me) ridiculously slow. I figure I can always increase my pace later but right now I'm just trying to get my body used to running.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Lots of good input so far. Just run easy. Running by feel is highly underrated. There is no need to be a slave to the numbers as a beginner. Nothing can spoil the fun of a run like worrying about the fact that you're running a 14:12 mile instead of a 14:05.
                          so long as you can talk - by which i mean proper conversation not just squeaking a word or two in between breaths - then you aren't going too fast. there is no such thing as too slow at this point in your running career. by the way base building is something that takes years - not 12 weeks. take it easy and try not to stress about short term results. you'll be amazed at the effect you can have.
                            Thanks for all the advice. I'm guessing that the usual desire for the newbie is to go faster but I just want to point out that the reason I was asking about pace was not to go faster now it was to know how to go slow enough now to get the most out of the next stage of my training in attempt to start working on building a base since I have none. I was more worried about how to know that 14:30 was indeed slow enough. Would hate to think that inserting walk breaks in what I felt was already slow enough would have helped me make more progress during this next training period. So yeah, not all newbies thinking about pace with going fast in minds. But it sounds like, at my stage, I shouldn't think about anything just run. I always just find it more motivating to think I'm doing the training I am aiming for correctly. Without exposure to other runners and without experience it is really hard to know how slow is slow and conversational seems to cover a wide range. Also I hope I didn't imply that I would base build for 12 weeks and be done with it Wink everyone's gotta start somewhere though.

2008 Running Goals
                            • Complete a 10K fun run
                              Use the force Obie Wan.......go by how you feel........

Champions are made when no one is watching

John A that is a best advice yet. LOL

2008 Running Goals
                                • Complete a 10K fun run