Hydrating, Refueling and carrying stuff on Long Runs (Read 1424 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

gObLuE recently posted some hydration study but all I can find from him lately was a Coldplay review, something about 70s sitcoms, and more Pink Floyd silliness. From memory I thought it said something like 4-6 oz per hour was adequate during exercise.
    You've been paying attention. Yeah, it's hard to find much, if anything, in the way of substance from me. But here it is. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/a7b64fa47229482e96ed18b40545459a The upshot is:
    While you're running and racing this summer, drink. When you're thirsty and not too much. About 16 ounces (1 pint) per hour will be as much liquid as most of us can absorb.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

MTA - gObLuE found the link
      Of course I did. I bookmark every post that I make at RA for easy future reference. With the new Firefox Awesome bar, it's so easy to find my stuff because it's all indexed for rapid-fire searching.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I don't bring water with me unless it's for one of my long runs. I bought myself a http://www.amphipod.com/products_a/products.html I think I endedup drinking around 60oz or so on my last long run of 3.5 hours in 81 degree heat. I also had 2 gels during that run. Here is an artical a friend of mine brough to my attention http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/summer.shtml
        I bought one from my local shop on the way home. I used it today on my LR and it was darn pretty helpful (if not a bit bulky). I have a follow-up question. Maybe I missed it, but no one came out and said, "I just run. It's that simple. I never refuel or rehydrate during a run (not even water fountain)." Is there a purist school of thought out there that says, essentially, you should never have to refuel/rehydrate during a run and that a run supported by rehydrating/refueling is really not your "true" long-run level? In other words, today I ran 13 mi in 2:36, supported by 4 x 8oz of Powerade and an ipod. Did I, in a purist sense, "cheat"? Do the elite marathoners stop at the refueling tables during races?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Is there a purist school of thought out there that says, essentially, you should never have to refuel/rehydrate during a run and that a run supported by rehydrating/refueling is really not your "true" long-run level? In other words, today I ran 13 mi in 2:36, supported by 4 x 8oz of Powerade and an ipod. Did I, in a purist sense, "cheat"? Do the elite marathoners stop at the refueling tables during races?
          I wouldn't call that purist. I would call it foolish. Elite marathoners do not stop at aid stations, but they do grab (or have handed to them) drinks or bottles. I think some marathons have special tables for the elites to have their bottles/drinks.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

...Is there a purist school of thought out there that says, essentially, you should never have to refuel/rehydrate during a run and that a run supported by rehydrating/refueling is really not your "true" long-run level?... In other words, today I ran 13 mi in 2:36, supported by 4 x 8oz of Powerade and an ipod. Did I, in a purist sense, "cheat"? ...
            I dunno what a "true long-run level" is , but anyone who says you should do real long runs without rehydration is being kinda nuts. Sure, if you want to you can do a run where you lose 2% of your bodyweight in sweat... and you will be ok but starting to get dehydrated. Lose 4-5% and there are races where the medics will pull you out. Refueling is another matter. Absent particular medical problems, you can go a long way at a proper long-run training pace without any "fuel" added, just water and electrolyte replacement to take care of what you lose in sweat. Is "refueling" during a long training run cheating? Only in the sense that you might be cheating yourself out of the training benefits that the long run will give your fat metabolism endurance engine. I'm sure many of us avoid any Caloric input starting 3-4 hours before a run and ending after the run is over. Easy for me, because I just eat dinner and then don't eat again (or drink anything with carbs) until after the run is done the next morning. I don't really know how long I myself can go w/o carb intake, but since the VO2 test says I'm burning 125 Calories of carbs per hour at my LHR training HR, 8 hours would be 1000 Calories of glycogen, so the only problem there would be TRAINING to run that long, not running out of fuel. FWIW, I'll refuel during races, but only after 45 minutes or so, so as not to inhibit the fat metabolism getting into full gear. Take care. Rehydrate and replace electrolytes and your body will thank you.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Agreed. Drink before you are thirsty, but to head into the run properly hydrated. I run an out and back route with fountains at roughly mile 2-4 and 6, so I am pretty set on a 12 mile you would think. I am a sweat hog, and need a ton of water based on heat/speed for runs post 5 miles (40mins). Anything over 9 miles I carry a fuel belt/and Gu shot. In time you should figure out the water/gu/pst drink formula. We are all different in our needs, but the same in our will to perform.

left-right-left-right-repeat

I'm sure many of us avoid any Caloric input starting 3-4 hours before a run and ending after the run is over. Easy for me, because I just eat dinner and then don't eat again (or drink anything with carbs) until after the run is done the next morning. I don't really know how long I myself can go w/o carb intake, but since the VO2 test says I'm burning 125 Calories of carbs per hour at my LHR training HR, 8 hours would be 1000 Calories of glycogen, so the only problem there would be TRAINING to run that long, not running out of fuel.
                So, conceivably, you would finish dinner at 8 p.m. and not eat again (or drink anything with carbs) until after a long run is done which ends at around 12 p.m. the next day? Do you make sure you run very early? Do you drink any coffee before the long-run?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Is there a purist school of thought out there that says, essentially, you should never have to refuel/rehydrate during a run and that a run supported by rehydrating/refueling is really not your "true" long-run level? In other words, today I ran 13 mi in 2:36, supported by 4 x 8oz of Powerade and an ipod. Did I, in a purist sense, "cheat"? Do the elite marathoners stop at the refueling tables during races?
                  I've never heard of this purist school. Probably by the sex-is-only-for-procreation folk, too. And they probably eschew all the mod cons such as houses, clothes and computers. Look at our animal friends. They get water on the run (in essence, they're always on the run.) We just don't have the ability to be able to drink from whatever source we happen by. So sometimes, we need to carry it with us - or have it provided to us on course. If you're a cheater, I'm a cheater. Better a living hydrated cheater than a dead purist.
                    My wife takes the bike and rides along side on my long runs, so she carries everything Big grin. Speaking of which on todays 30k, I drank 4, 8oz bottles of water, ate 1 banana and still came back almost 5 lbs lighter than when I went out. At least I finally made my goal weight of 175.........Only for a moment though Blush

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

So, conceivably, you would finish dinner at 8 p.m. and not eat again (or drink anything with carbs) until after a long run is done which ends at around 12 p.m. the next day?... Do you make sure you run very early?... Do you drink any coffee before the long-run?
                      The answer to the first question is absolutely. A couple months ago I finished dinner between 8 and 9 PM, but just fiddled around and delayed starting my run until about noon the next day. Did over 3 hours on State Park trails with some killer hills. Post run, about 3:15 PM, when I was getting the first of 2 bowls of chilli with cheese at a Park Trillium Festival food booth, I happened to think "Gee, it's been over 18 hours since I've had anything to eat" (just water to drink.) When I was working a job, I used to run early, but that was because I had to go to work. Now it doesn't matter. I'm not a coffee drinker. Water is enough for me (+ electrolytes in warm long runs.) My brother and his wife drink coffee before their morning runs... they've run more ultras than I have. Take care, and run easy -
                      Scout7

Over-thinking. Just go run. Personally, I don't bring much of anything. Regarding water, bring some if you think you need it, but most people drink entirely too much, in my opinion. Sure, animals drink. Last time I checked, I was not my dog, though. She also drinks a fair sight less than I do in a day. Considering people can finish events at around 4% weight loss, I think most of us will be ok. As for fuel.... Generally, we can go for about 2 hours or so with just the glycogen in our bodies at marathon pace. Since most of my long runs are slower than marathon pace, and usually not for much beyond 2 hours, I can finish them without having anything. It takes practice, and lots of miles, and I bring a gel with me just in case. But I think most people way over-think most of this stuff, anyway.
                        Scout7

meh
                          Scout7

Stupid Trenternet.