Indoor Bike Trainer (Read 1142 times)

labhiker

Im looking for suggestions on a good indoor bike trainer. Im interested in adding some cross training to my running yet can not ride outdoors due to winter conditions. Im thinking that an indoor trainer may help. Im thinking of the kind that holds the back wheel inplace and allows you to jump on and ride with controled resistance. Having never used any indoor trainers Im interested in hearing what others may think of the devices. Im thinking its a more practical way to ride, without buying and expensive stationary exercise bike. Any special models to look for? Or avoid? Im looking for something which may be more middle of the road in terms of cost. I like to run distance however have not advanced into tri's yet, so Im a complete rookie on the bike. Simply what to get some good aerobic time on a bike and possibly give the legs a little rest from icy roads.

labhiker

invisible

I'm just posting this picture because a friend has an IRONMAN and it's beautiful to behold. It's approx. $1000 Canadian.
      90 percent of the game is not giving up.
        Rollers are better than wind or mag trainers...depends on how much cash you want to spend. I have a mag trainer for Bike Nashbar and it does what I need it to do...and it only cost about $100.00 bucks. rollers make you maintain balance...
        labhiker

Invisible WOW - I would love that bike. Great pic. Being a rookie Im not sure I could justify its purchase with the family? I think I read that the fan-type models are not the best and fluid-types may be better. Where is a good place to pick up a half way decent trainer? A bike shop? REI type store?

labhiker

Invisible WOW - I would love that bike. Great pic. Being a rookie Im not sure I could justify its purchase with the family? I think I read that the fan-type models are not the best and fluid-types may be better. Where is a good place to pick up a half way decent trainer? A bike shop? REI type store?
            probably a bike shop. or online: bike nashbar and performance cycling.
              I've got a fluid trainer from Performance Bike.. was like $140 or so? Works fine. Riding indoors is a drag, though, IMO - but a necessary evil from time to time. They say w/ fluid trainers, be sure you're working out on a non-beautiful floor.... I guess the fluid's like an oil or something? I work out in the basement. Wind trainers work almost the same -- just much louder. M PS - mine's much like this one.. nothing fancy: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20981&subcategory_ID=4120

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Whaddya mean you can't ride outside 'cuz it's winter? Last time I rode outside I only had on 25 articles of clothing and three pairs of chemical warmers - if I can do it, so can you! OK, yeah, I see your point. Fixed trainers are pretty cheap and easy, but you can develop some yank-the-bike-around bad habits. Rollers take more skill, but you're actually riding the bike. I always feel like riding the trainer does help me develop a smoother pedal stroke, in any case. did

If you don't like leaks and don't want the noise...try a mag trainer. Mine works great... www.nashbar.com Trainers from 90 to 600 bucks...spend it while you can....

My sweet new crank!

if this is your first venture, buy off craigs list or the paper...before long as spring comes people will be unloading them, fully dust covered. rollers are a lot of fun once you get used to them. they store well under a bed too. there is always debate on what a static trainer (fan or mag or fluid) will do to you wheel and frame, I have never seen damage though. also, if you do want to invest, www.saris.com they make some nice spin bikes.
                    Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                    invisible

I have no idea where you buy them or even what type (fan/fluid/radioactive) it is. Smile
                      90 percent of the game is not giving up.

Gotta TRI

My two cents- for what it's worth: I've got the cycleops fluid trainer and it seems to work great. My friend ( a three time ironman finisher) started with one of these for off season training and has since moved up to ( used) computrainer. The fliud trainer isn't that loud, seems to have plenty of resistance, is stable and doesn't take up alot of room. I do have it on a mat, in case of leaks.
                        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon