My perfect running partner (Read 1059 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Is some sort of device that does all of the following. My wish for a running partner device. 1.) Has GPS that I can upload onto the computer. 2.) Gives Verbal updates. 3.) Takes Verbal commands instead of pushing a button. (ex Give Pace) 4.) Wireless head set. I am soooo sick of wires. 5.) Is customizable so that I can get the updates I want, when I want them. 6.) Gives me Heart Rate, Elevation and temperature during run. 7.) Quick start up time. 8.) Would be nice if it is a phone so if you get hurt you could call someone. 9.) Would like to get service without having to be with a certain company. 10.) Play music and get FM radio. 11.) I would also like to be able to use it indoors but with it being GPS that might be too much to ask. I run on an indoor track during the winter or really hot days. 12.) Ability to service battery. 13.) And of course I would like it to be small and have itunes Big grin.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I dream of the iPhone someday being able to do all that. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it did--and if it could come with Verizon service (Cingulair doesn't work up here). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Ahh yes the iPhone. Problem is that I don't think I will get item number 12 on my list if Apple makes it Evil grin I do love my Nano though.
          2011 Goals:
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, sad, but it sounds to be true for some, unfortunately.... k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not to get too schmoopy here, but my ideal running partner was my high school buddy, Jim. We ran track and x-country together, and trained together during the high school and college summers back in Michigan. We more or less had the same PR's and pushed each other very hard. I have him to thank for my 1-mile PR -- he ran laps 2 and 3 with me as a "rabbit", since it was an otherwise solo effort. We shared very similar views about running such as: ►Racing: "Destroy them and everything they believe in" ►Speedwork: "If you're not dry-heaving, you're not running fast enough" ►Easy Days: "Ok, if we have to run slow, we're gonna run long." ►Rest Days: "Why would I not run?" ►Cross Training: "Dude, I have yet to see barbells at a road race." ►Anger management: Like me, he took it out on his Timex Of course among the things I miss most about running with Jim (since we no longer live near each other) are the conversations (which predictably centered around running, women, and beer). Can't get that from a Garmin or iPod (but I'm sure they're working on it). Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I dream of the iPhone someday being able to do all that. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it did--and if it could come with Verizon service (Cingulair doesn't work up here). k
              Any interest in Bones in Motion + Verizon? http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/10/10/verizon-wireless-teams-up-with-bones-in-motion-to-easily-track-e/

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Scout7

Of course among the things I miss most about running with Jim (since we no longer live near each other) are the conversations (which predictably centered around running, women, and beer).
                Like a live version of the 2000 mile club.....
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Any interest in Bones in Motion + Verizon? http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/10/10/verizon-wireless-teams-up-with-bones-in-motion-to-easily-track-e/
                  Holy crap...$10/month for that service? Verizon can bite me. That's a neat idea, but not for that price. For that I'd just buy a Garmin and keep my iPod and cheap cell. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Jeffrey

Non-thread: Nice one! Smile (need a hug?) Sorry. Hugs work wonders for my 3yo who needs daily help with her schmoopy. Sounds like you and Jim fed each other some inspiration. That's cool. I like the dry-heave part. Smile Thread: 14. Weather forecast?
                    Not to get too schmoopy here, but my ideal running partner was my high school buddy, Jim. We ran track and x-country together, and trained together during the high school and college summers back in Michigan. We more or less had the same PR's and pushed each other very hard. I have him to thank for my 1-mile PR -- he ran laps 2 and 3 with me as a "rabbit", since it was an otherwise solo effort. We shared very similar views about running such as: ►Racing: "Destroy them and everything they believe in" ►Speedwork: "If you're not dry-heaving, you're not running fast enough" ►Easy Days: "Ok, if we have to run slow, we're gonna run long." ►Rest Days: "Why would I not run?" ►Cross Training: "Dude, I have yet to see barbells at a road race." ►Anger management: Like me, he took it out on his Timex Of course among the things I miss most about running with Jim (since we no longer live near each other) are the conversations (which predictably centered around running, women, and beer). Can't get that from a Garmin or iPod (but I'm sure they're working on it). Smile
                    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I like the bones in Motion idea but it does not give me everything I want and that is the only way I am going to subscribe to any time of phone service contract. I have a Sony Erickson Walkman W810 phone that I bought two years ago and went with T-Mobiles prepaid plan where I buy 1250 minutes for $106 and that is it. $106 a year for a phone. I don't use many minutes except to call my wife. So for the whole year it cost $212. It was costing me like $50 a month for both phones before. The phone plays music, takes printable 2.0 pictures and has an FM radio but I still use my nano. Plus it is small. Next phone has to have all the things I mentioned earlier before I spend those kind of big bucks on a phone again. Until then a phone is just a phone to me.
                        2011 Goals:
                        Ahh yes the iPhone. Problem is that I don't think I will get item number 12 on my list if Apple makes it Evil grin I do love my Nano though.
                        Actually I've seen some rumors that you will be able to change the battery on the iPhone. And since it's on the internet it's gotta be true.